GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200tw tires for Track use

scrllock

Autocross Champion
255/35/18 on a 9” wheel seems to be the sweet spot IMO, 25” tall which leaves good fender liner clearance when running additional caster up front. The section width is normally around 10 - 10.4” depending on tire.

I have some Cup 2’s 245/40/18 (25.7” height) and they were rubbing my fender liners on very hard compression. It seems most 245’s run very tall making you have to run your car a tad higher than with the 255’s especially with extra front caster.

I’m trying out the V730’s in a 255/35/18 coming from the RE71R which has the same specs for the first time in a few weeks at Auto Club Speedway. Should be a good test, weather should be in the low 80’s unless I get lucky with cooler weather.
have you tried the v730s yet? how much pressure are you running hot on the R?

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
have you tried the v730s yet? how much pressure are you running hot on the R?
I use to run the RE71R at 35 hot so I was going to try the same as GTIfan99 suggested. Sidewalls seem decently stiff on the V730 so I’m anticipating that working fine. I have my event next weekend so I’ll share my results/opinion

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I use to run the RE71R at 35 hot so I was going to try the same as GTIfan99 suggested. Sidewalls seem decently stiff on the V730 so I’m anticipating that working fine. I have my event next weekend so I’ll share my results/opinion
I used to run Rze71R's too and I actually like the V730 sidewall characteristics better.

It's not an issue on the lighter RWD cars I used to drive, or even with 245 40 17, but the re in 255 40 17 needed 38+ or the stiff sidewalls would do this weird buckling sensation and would understeer on the GTI.

The V730 have a stiff sidewall, but it has enough compliance that it's rollover behavior is smooth.

I ran 5 sets of re's in 245 40 17 without issue, both sets of 255 40 17 had the same weird rollover behavior.

The 245's were on both 7.5 and 8.5. The 255 were on 8.5.

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. First event on mine tomorrow (245/40/18 on 18x9).

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
I used to run Rze71R's too and I actually like the V730 sidewall characteristics better.

It's not an issue on the lighter RWD cars I used to drive, or even with 245 40 17, not the re in 255 40 17 needed 38+ or the stiff sidewalls would do this weird buckling sensation and would understeer on the GTI.

The V730 have a stiff sidewall, but it has enough compliance that it's rollover behavior is smooth.

I ran 5 sets of re's in 245 40 17 without issue, both sets of 255 40 17 had the same weird rollover behavior.

The 245's were on both 7.5 and 8.5. The 255 were on 8.5.
Thanks for feedback!

I had that bucking sensation when I used to run some 245 Pirelli slick takeoffs on my MKV R32 using an 8” wheel. It’s a weird feeling but it only happened for me on one turn at Willow Springs (Big Track), never had it at any other tracks.

I always chalked it up to a rim with issue where the tire wasn’t stretched enough.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thanks for feedback!

I had that bucking sensation when I used to run some 245 Pirelli slick takeoffs on my MKV R32 using an 8” wheel. It’s a weird feeling but it only happened for me on one turn at Willow Springs (Big Track), never had it at any other tracks.

I always chalked it up to a rim with issue where the tire wasn’t stretched enough.

I was thinking the same, except RE71R'S running narrower than the V730, so I think it's a case of a sidewall can be too stiff for its own good. Lol. Maybe just that little bit extra sidewall height between 245 40 17 and 255 40 17 makes the difference? I'm not a tire engineer, but you could feel the sidewall literally collapse and buckle at a certain point below 38 psi with the 255 40 17 RE.

I've never felt that with any other tire EXCEPT the old RE070, which was a non run flat with the sidewall of a run flat.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Last edited:
Reactions: krs

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I must be competing just enough, when there’s a few other competitors trying to say the V730 should be excluded from STU as they look like slicks. :rolleyes:
They won't be crying when it rains. At anything but full depth, they are terrible.

Reactions: krs