GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200tw tires for Track use

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
There's always a heavy dose of subjectivity, but based on Bridgestone's marketing and this ONE review,
I wonder where the new RS would slot in on Grassroots Motorsports' tire testing- Endurance 200s?
1651860105970.png

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/track-tire-buyers-guide/

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
There's always a heavy dose of subjectivity, but based on Bridgestone's marketing and this ONE review,
I wonder where the new RS would slot in on Grassroots Motorsports' tire testing- Endurance 200s?
View attachment 248464

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/track-tire-buyers-guide/

I ran the V730 at Daytona yesterday. Handled heat well, 91 degrees sunny weather and didn't get greasy, you could lean on them.

I don't think the A+ raring for wear is universal, especially for our heavyish FWD cars. Three 20 min sessions and 30 autocross runs and about 50% left.

RS4 are A+ wear, these are A- .

Also, they're faster as an autocross than GRM gives them credit, again on a FWD car. Much better than the RE71R's.

Full depth, they were pretty good in the rain too, now, I wouldn't chance it.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I ran the V730 at Daytona yesterday. Handled heat well, 91 degrees sunny weather and didn't get greasy, you could lean on them.

I don't think the A+ raring for wear is universal, especially for our heavyish FWD cars. Three 20 min sessions and 30 autocross runs and about 50% left.

RS4 are A+ wear, these are A- .

Also, they're faster as an autocross than GRM gives them credit, again on a FWD car. Much better than the RE71R's.

Full depth, they were pretty good in the rain too, now, I wouldn't chance it.
Great to hear. The v730 are probably my next tire after I kill these Federal RS-Pros

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I don’t mind my V730’s, I’ll keep pushing them until they fail, or I notice they’re definitely worn. I also liked my RE-71R’s as well.

The 730’s have a nicer price point for sure.

Deanjet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
The answer is always Hankook RS4, but it looks like they paused or stopped production.

Good Year SC2 seem to have 200tw grip and decent life. Get on the One Lap of American Facebook page. No one tests tire on track more than those guys.

Some other options.

Nanking AR1. 100tw, but fast and decent life.

Accrlera 651. 200tw, There's a guy on here using them for time trials that swears by them, though I've seen terrible reviews for every other tire they make. Super cheap though.

There benefits to stuffing 255 or 265 under the fenders for autocross. I'll be staying 245/40 17 for track. Fit well, good grip, less expensive.
I killed my Nanking AR1’s in 3 track days. My friend with an R did the same. But man do they hook!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 76

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I killed my Nanking AR1’s in 3 track days. My friend with an R did the same. But man do they hook!
Those look like they still have some life left.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
So looking at tire sizes for the autocross setup. I’m still in the looking around phase, including which tire I’ll order.

Currently I’m on 18x8.5 +45 wheels, with 245/40/R18 tires.

If I decide to go with 255’s, I feel I’ll be okay with that width, but if a tire is reported to have a softer sidewall, should I consider dropping to a 35 ratio tire over the 40? Would this potentially help reduce the sidewall flex? Or not really be enough to worry about?

I feel my driving is coming along well, that maybe it’s time to start learning more about the tire component.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
So looking at tire sizes for the autocross setup. I’m still in the looking around phase, including which tire I’ll order.

Currently I’m on 18x8.5 +45 wheels, with 245/40/R18 tires.

If I decide to go with 255’s, I feel I’ll be okay with that width, but if a tire is reported to have a softer sidewall, should I consider dropping to a 35 ratio tire over the 40? Would this potentially help reduce the sidewall flex? Or not really be enough to worry about?

I feel my driving is coming along well, that maybe it’s time to start learning more about the tire component.

255/40/18 won’t really fit on a tracked GTI, too tall of a sidewall, so you’re only choice really is 255/35/18.

For track use I’ve found I actually like a slight stretch on the tire for max sidewall support, I run 245s on a 9” wheel at the moment. Previously I ran 255” on a 9” wheel and the steering on initial turn in felt a little looser than I’d like.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
A little pinch is better for autocross. A little stretch is better for track.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
What do you mean by pinch? I understand the stretch term…
It’s just the opposite of a stretch, a tire that is slightly wider than optimum for the wheel width.
EE09C794-0772-427A-A7A5-D0BDA7A34314.jpeg

It works in AutoX because you typically will run the tire at maybe 38-42psi cold, whereas at the track I run about 33 cold, in order to accommodate for the extra heat that builds up. Higher PSI effectively results in more sidewall support. With the higher PSI in AutoX the tire will be less susceptible to deflection under load (ie turning), hence why you can get away with a more pinched tire.