GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200tw tires for Track use

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
And let's not forget the upcoming RE71RS. Early feedback from Australia says more grip than old tire, less greasy, and last longer. Sounds to good to be true, but I'm excited to find out.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Thanks much. Most likely it's a comination of driving style/preference/track. Specific tracks make huge differences. I tend to run pretty hard at HPDE in advanced or sometimes INT 2 if the group is loaded with extremely fast cars in advanced. I was taoating tires with stock camber. Now have 2.5 degrees. If I can get 5 days out of the A052 or hopefully more based on your data that would be awesome.

Them not being directional is a huge plus. The tracks I run are much harder on the left side. I'd wear those out and end up replacing the set when I ran directional tires.

The groups I run in generally do a pretty good job of splitting the advanced groups based on cars. Higher HP/prepped cars in one and street cars/things like Miatas and GTIs in another. But, once I get the cooling issue figured out, I expect I will be going through tires faster.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
And let's not forget the upcoming RE71RS. Early feedback from Australia says more grip than old tire, less greasy, and last longer. Sounds to good to be true, but I'm excited to find out.
Thought I read an article somewhere saying they weren't going to be offered in the us market though. Not sure on that

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
That would be mega. The folks i know who track RE71’s love them other than the wear rate.

200tw technology has come a long way and the 200tw wear indicator needs to be taken with a handful of salt. I’d say the RE71 and A052 has my 100tw NT01’s covered for overall grip. Now that I have my tire pressures dialed in, I’m getting more out of my NT01’s. The great aspect of these tires is that I’ve hit about 50% tire life after 12 hard track days and these will cord before they heat cycle out And most probably give me another 10-12 days.

The 200 tw discussion is great if the tires are dual duty track/daily, but if you have dedicated track wheels/tires it opens the door to R-comp options. Unless 200tw is a competition rule requiremen. RE71’s and A052’s have the same noisy street manners as R-comps. My daily MP4S do duty as my wet DE tires. A job they are well suited for.

With the Apex wheel group buy coming up. This is a great time to get a dedicated set of track wheels if you do not have a set already.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Them not being directional is a huge plus. The tracks I run are much harder on the left side. I'd wear those out and end up replacing the set when I ran directional tires.

The groups I run in generally do a pretty good job of splitting the advanced groups based on cars. Higher HP/prepped cars in one and street cars/things like Miatas and GTIs in another. But, once I get the cooling issue figured out, I expect I will be going through tires faster.

Yes... also a big fan of non-directional tires for the reasons you list. I run Lime Rock quite often which is all rights (except for one turn which is aptly names "Lefthander") so the front left gets worked hard.

I wish more clubs would split advanced into two groups based on car type. Every year the hp wars get crazier. With SCDA the INT2 group is pretty much a default advanced group. I posted about dropping down to that group after getting passed by an RS2, ViperACR adnd FordGT in a single straight! :) Turned out many more people than I had thought have done the same or similar.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
That would be mega. The folks i know who track RE71’s love them other than the wear rate.

200tw technology has come a long way and the 200tw wear indicator needs to be taken with a handful of salt. I’d say the RE71 and A052 has my 100tw NT01’s covered for overall grip. Now that I have my tire pressures dialed in, I’m getting more out of my NT01’s. The great aspect of these tires is that I’ve hit about 50% tire life after 12 hard track days and these will cord before they heat cycle out And most probably give me another 10-12 days.

The 200 tw discussion is great if the tires are dual duty track/daily, but if you have dedicated track wheels/tires it opens the door to R-comp options. Unless 200tw is a competition rule requiremen. RE71’s and A052’s have the same noisy street manners as R-comps. My daily MP4S do duty as my wet DE tires. A job they are well suited for.

With the Apex wheel group buy coming up. This is a great time to get a dedicated set of track wheels if you do not have a set already.
What am I missing with re71r? They were grippy as hell for that first lap and then fell off from there as they overheated faster than any other tire I've used. How are you not having the same experience?

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I would add that, IMHO, the RE71R is a very noisy tire. I kept them on for street driving just to get more use out of them before replacing them with new track tires. Otherwise, I would not recommend them for the street.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Yes... also a big fan of non-directional tires for the reasons you list. I run Lime Rock quite often which is all rights (except for one turn which is aptly names "Lefthander") so the front left gets worked hard.

I wish more clubs would split advanced into two groups based on car type. Every year the hp wars get crazier. With SCDA the INT2 group is pretty much a default advanced group. I posted about dropping down to that group after getting passed by an RS2, ViperACR adnd FordGT in a single straight! :) Turned out many more people than I had thought have done the same or similar.

I've always wanted to run Lime Rock. I'm moving out to NYC this fall, and a trip (or trips) up there is high on the list.

I don't get why more groups don't split advanced based on car type/HP. The PCA groups I run with all do it, but I did run an event last year that had me in the same group with cars that had twice the HP (and grip, and brakes, and...). It can't be any more fun for the guys in the GT3s to follow me around than it is for me to hold my arm out of the window for half the session. It's probably less fun for them to be honest.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

I'm hoping that the Apex wheel group buy coincides with when I'm due to get new tires. I've always run 200TW tires because the car wasn't fast enough to justify the expense and hassle of swapping tires. But, I'm definitely looking to get some R-comp tires for the experience if nothing else. Been doing this stuff half my life and I've never had R-comp tires on my own car (have done laps in other people's cars, but, the car not being mine really cautioned against going too quick anyway).

To that end, do your 255s fit under the fender without an issue?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I run 255-40-17 NT01’s on track. No real issues. Very slight rub on the right rear filler hose guard. For street I run 255-35-18’s. No rubs

My 17’s are 17x8.5 et45. My 18’s are the same offset 8.5j

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
What am I missing with re71r? They were grippy as hell for that first lap and then fell off from there as they overheated faster than any other tire I've used. How are you not having the same experience?

I totally agree. I tried them, and as soon as they were worn down I ditched them. Did not like the feedback, especially when really warm and they fell off terribly. Also, as JMASON alluded to, it was one of the worst extreme performance street tires I have used on the street. Even if I did not need a dual use tire, I would not choose the RE71R for track alone.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You can't push RE71R's on track and you have to spray them after the 3rd run in autocross in a PP car. Every run in a non-PP car.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
With recent news the Apex wheels will be delayed until late April/early May it’s had me thinking about picking up an existing 18x9 wheel and running 245/40/18 or 255/35/18 instead. I know I should probably just wait the extra few months and save some cash but I have to say the APR 18x9 ET40 wheel in gunmetal is quite appetizing and very well priced. 245/40s have great tire availability too.

On a side note - I talked to a Neuspeed rep today who told me they are coming out with an RSe16R that should be 17x8.5 or 17x9, but unfortunately not until “later in the year”. Damn unicorn wheel size.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
With recent news the Apex wheels will be delayed until late April/early May it’s had me thinking about picking up an existing 18x9 wheel and running 245/40/18 or 255/35/18 instead. I know I should probably just wait the extra few months and save some cash but I have to say the APR 18x9 ET40 wheel in gunmetal is quite appetizing and very well priced. 245/40s have great tire availability too.

On a side note - I talked to a Neuspeed rep today who told me they are coming out with an RSe16R that should be 17x8.5 or 17x9, but unfortunately not until “later in the year”. Damn unicorn wheel size.
It shouldn't be this hard to run a 17x9, it sucks.

I'm torn between waiting, which I was hoping to not have to do. It's either that or buy a set of F14 from Forgestar or buy a set of Advanti Storm S1 in 35 offset and just deal with 7mm spacer at each corner

Last edited:

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
It shouldn't be this hard to run a 17x9, it sucks.

I'm torn between waiting, which I was hoping to not have to do. It's either that or buy a set of F14 from Forgestar or buy a set of Advanti Storm S1 in 35 offset and just deal with 7mm spacer at each corner

I think you have your spacing in the wrong direction, you’d need a -7m spacer to go from 35 to 42.