GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200tw tires for Track use

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Has anyone run the new(er) Federal RS-Pro on track? I have a friend that was running them on his non-GTI, but he's the only person I've talked to that has run them. He said they're his favorite tires that he has run, so I picked up a set on his recommendation, but haven't put them on my wheels or obviously run them, yet.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Has anyone run the new(er) Federal RS-Pro on track? I have a friend that was running them on his non-GTI, but he's the only person I've talked to that has run them. He said they're his favorite tires that he has run, so I picked up a set on his recommendation, but haven't put them on my wheels or obviously run them, yet.

I haven't run them and don't know anyone that has, but I'm in for the report on how you like them.

And has anyone heard when we're getting the RE71RS's. I'm really excited for those. Supposedly grippy as A052, but wear better than current RE71R.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I've tried soooo many different tires. Now I'm on my 4th set of RS4's. Love their grip, longevity, they can go hard for 30 min sessions without getting greasy. And they just last forever. I'm not even shopping around come spring, just going to stick to what I know is best for me. They aren't the fastest tire out there but the other rewards make them so worth it. The fastest 200tw tire I've tried were bfg rival-s....but they corded after the 3rd track day whereas I can get 13-15 days out of the rs4's

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I haven't run them and don't know anyone that has, but I'm in for the report on how you like them.

And has anyone heard when we're getting the RE71RS's. I'm really excited for those. Supposedly grippy as A052, but wear better than current RE71R.
If they're anything like the re71r I'll stay away...they're fast for one lap and then let go. Not to mention the terrible wear.

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion

The RE71RS is never coming to the NA market, only Asia.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I ran the A052s and they didn't wear as quickly as some people seem to be suggesting. I put them on at the beginning of last season, did 8 full track days plus about 5k miles on the street and they still had some life left when I pulled them off before winter. To my mind, that seems pretty good. One benefit to not running directional tires is the ability to swap them side to side.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Yeah they're nowhere close to any of the tires listed in terms of overall grip or longevity. They heat cycle out quick as well.

Considering how little I paid for them on regular price, yeah I expected the grip or longevity to be a bit worse compared to the established brands. But it suits me and my skill level well right now, especially since my car is stock. This year or next year, I'll get replacements.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I ran the A052s and they didn't wear as quickly as some people seem to be suggesting. I put them on at the beginning of last season, did 8 full track days plus about 5k miles on the street and they still had some life left when I pulled them off before winter. To my mind, that seems pretty good. One benefit to not running directional tires is the ability to swap them side to side.

This is timely. I am thinking of trying the A052's to start this season coming from Cup 2's. 8 days seems like a ton for almost any tire. (I am also assuming you are talking track and not AutoX) What camber are you running? If I could get near that I would be more than happy. 5 good days would be tremendous. Which run group did you run in? Interested in any info you may impart regarding pressure, tire size, etc.
Thanks!

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Wonder how those nankangs are going to do in autox. Planning on picking up a set of apex 17s with 255/40r17 for autox use (and maybe an HPDE), but since I'm not running SCCA I'm more interested in a good performing long lasting tire than that last 0.2.

Only going -2 on camber (not to mention the heavy R) might hurt me on that long lasting bit tho!

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I just wanted to add a note about the Dunlop Z3. I was a huge fan of the Z1 and Z2 star spec tires in the past and used them to great effect.

The wear characteristics of the Z3 are quite good, they are very streetable and have decent manners. I didn't get to any big tracks this season, but they handled autocross abuse very well, even on a camber-challenged GS car.

That said, I'm fairly unimpressed with them in terms of actual grip. Lateral grip is certainly better than the Conti ECS regular summer street tires I've used, but not by a giant margin. However, longitudinal grip is a problem - I'm spinning tires out of nearly any corner at autocross speeds. They don't completely give up under spin, but there's a lot of it. It's fun in a rowdy way, but not the fastest.

On the street and not properly heated up, these have far less longitudinal traction than the ECS, and they're very noisy and squeaky when they let go (often). Even at stock power levels, you can't put it down at all in 1st or 2nd gear (DSG). I don't recommend them.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If they're anything like the re71r I'll stay away...they're fast for one lap and then let go. Not to mention the terrible wear.
I got it, but I have a set of street wheels, autocross when's, and track wheels, so I'm looking at RS4 for track, when they go back into production. I'm now interested to hear about more autocross focused tires.

But I will say, if you're doing time trials, RS4 are probably not the fast tire on track.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
This is timely. I am thinking of trying the A052's to start this season coming from Cup 2's. 8 days seems like a ton for almost any tire. (I am also assuming you are talking track and not AutoX) What camber are you running? If I could get near that I would be more than happy. 5 good days would be tremendous. Which run group did you run in? Interested in any info you may impart regarding pressure, tire size, etc.
Thanks!

Stock camber, no autox and I run in the advanced group. One caveat is that I tend to run a more conservative line, so I'm not as hard as others might be on the tires. I've got a couple videos posted so you can watch those and try to see if you think you'll be harder on your tires I guess. Also, I was having cooling issues at some of the events so I was backing out of it quite a bit to let the water temps come down at a few events.

But, I didn't do anything special. Stock tire size, started at 32 psi and they'd grow like 6-8 psi. The car was pretty much stock until the summer (turbo failed, suspension with 100k on it was getting tired so I just upgraded when I replaced things). Since the car was generally pretty slow anyway, I didn't mess with pressures too much unless the tires were getting super greasy or something. Now that the car is legitimately fast, I'll get a set of track rubber once I wear these out and pay more attention to pressures and stuff.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I got it, but I have a set of street wheels, autocross when's, and track wheels, so I'm looking at RS4 for track, when they go back into production. I'm now interested to hear about more autocross focused tires.

But I will say, if you're doing time trials, RS4 are probably not the fast tire on track.
Agree with that, but if you're doing time trials you'd probably be on a slick anyways. Hoosier a7's ftw

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Stock camber, no autox and I run in the advanced group. One caveat is that I tend to run a more conservative line, so I'm not as hard as others might be on the tires. I've got a couple videos posted so you can watch those and try to see if you think you'll be harder on your tires I guess. Also, I was having cooling issues at some of the events so I was backing out of it quite a bit to let the water temps come down at a few events.

But, I didn't do anything special. Stock tire size, started at 32 psi and they'd grow like 6-8 psi. The car was pretty much stock until the summer (turbo failed, suspension with 100k on it was getting tired so I just upgraded when I replaced things). Since the car was generally pretty slow anyway, I didn't mess with pressures too much unless the tires were getting super greasy or something. Now that the car is legitimately fast, I'll get a set of track rubber once I wear these out and pay more attention to pressures and stuff.
I applaud you for doing what you do with factory camber setting! I can only imagine what you’re capable of with some more negative camber!

R Golf

Go Kart Champion

Thanks much. Most likely it's a comination of driving style/preference/track. Specific tracks make huge differences. I tend to run pretty hard at HPDE in advanced or sometimes INT 2 if the group is loaded with extremely fast cars in advanced. I was taoating tires with stock camber. Now have 2.5 degrees. If I can get 5 days out of the A052 or hopefully more based on your data that would be awesome.