4.2 MB · Views: 57
  • 325CF0B7-05CC-46DA-84F8-1CF1C01F93F1.jpeg
    325CF0B7-05CC-46DA-84F8-1CF1C01F93F1.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 56

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
My cup2s are getting close to done, so I bought some Hankook R-S4 this morning. Wasn’t stoked about the price but much better through Hankook (https://hankookmotorsports.com/products/rs4-tires?variant=37890594832551) than tirerack (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/hankook-ventus-r-s4)

245/35/19 coming in at $1240 plus FedEx home delivery shipping = $1351
235/35/19 (245 unavailable through Tirerack.com) is $1540 plus shipping ($0 for ground) and tax = $1672

Just wanted to share for those that are looking for this tire. There might be a better deal on them as I didn’t look too hard. Summer is near, time for fun drives again :)

Last edited:

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
After daily driving a set of rt660 for four months (set had a track day and a couple autox early on), the horizontal cracks are all gone/blended in. Front pair are almost at the wear marks. They’re not terrible in the rain but I took ‘em off because we’re getting heavy downpours.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
My cup2s are getting close to done, so I bought some Hankook R-S4 this morning. Wasn’t stoked about the price but much better through Hankook.com than tirerack.com.

245/35/19 coming in at $1240 plus FedEx home delivery shipping = $1351
235/35/19 (245 unavailable through Tirerack.com) is $1540 plus shipping ($0 for ground) and tax = $1672

Just wanted to share for those that are looking for this tire. There might be a better deal on them as I didn’t look too hard. Summer is near, time for fun drives again :)
Was just eying cup2s to replace my RS4s. Did you like them and they just were expensive? Or you didn't like them?

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Was just eying cup2s to replace my RS4s. Did you like them and they just were expensive? Or you didn't like them?
I bought the cup2 used, so hard to compare. They’ve always been too expensive for me, tbh. They wear pretty quickly but oh so sticky. I haven’t tracked them or the r-s4 (on this car). I’ve had a few sets of r-s3 in the past and one set of r-s4, and I’ve got nothing but love for that tire. I probably like the cup2 better or equallly but the r-s4 has been so good to me in the past. I haven’t driven the cup2 in cold weather like I have with the r-s4, in the past, so I can’t say how much I’d trust them below 40°f. Both are great tires, the cup2 seem to wear a little faster than the r-s4. After reading this I don’t know how much value is in it, so sorry about that. I’ll update the post if I see any major difference or if the r-s4 doesn’t perform as expected.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
why are you guys trying to ditch the RS-4s? Are you auto x ing or tracking? RS-4 isn't going to be the fastest single lap tire out there, but it's still competitive, and doesn't fade or fall off at all. If you look at Tire Rack's recent Extreme Performance test, it's way closer in lap time to some of the "fast" tires than you'd think. I, personally, can't see myself ever using another tire (except for a future RS-5, if that happens), especially when you buy from from the Hankook motorsports site.

P.S.- not hatin. just curious if you know something i don't!

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
why are you guys trying to ditch the RS-4s? Are you auto x ing or tracking? RS-4 isn't going to be the fastest single lap tire out there, but it's still competitive, and doesn't fade or fall off at all. If you look at Tire Rack's recent Extreme Performance test, it's way closer in lap time to some of the "fast" tires than you'd think. I, personally, can't see myself ever using another tire (except for a future RS-5, if that happens), especially when you buy from from the Hankook motorsports site.

Sizing availability mainly. Some interest in trying new things - the cup2s have gotten rave reviews but yes apparently wear extremely quickly. I've used the R-S3s (was so happy when they were on sale seemingly forever on TR for almost 2 years) and R-S4s for a long time. I've probably bought a pair or a full set every summer since 2017 or 18. I love them and I love their sidewalls especially. So predictable.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Sizing availability mainly. Some interest in trying new things - the cup2s have gotten rave reviews but yes apparently wear extremely quickly. I've used the R-S3s (was so happy when they were on sale seemingly forever on TR for almost 2 years) and R-S4s for a long time. I've probably bought a pair or a full set every summer since 2017 or 18. I love them and I love their sidewalls especially. So predictable.
100% agree. I’ve been buying a set every year since 2015 (iirc) but missed out last year. Glad I got to finally try the cup2 but always happy with R-S3/4. Lots of good info in this thread about alternatives though.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Came to join the rs4 fan club. I can't see myself buying a different tire either, I just love them so much. So predictable, plenty sticky, they don't fade at all and last forever. Every year when I buy tires I debate with myself trying something different but end up buying another set of rs4. I bought 2 sets a month ago because I found a sale

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

So true. Was at a track day yesterday. Was ahead of a WRX. He could barely keep up in some sections, but was faster in others. After a couple of laps, I gave him the point by to give him the benefit of the doubt. After lap 5, I saw him sliding around, missing apexes, getting slower and our laps times reflected that. My RS4's were still grippy as the 2nd lap (not first cause they had to warm up).

Now he was on Federals, but still. I imagine that could be said of any top 200TW tire (except RT615 & Rival 1) compared to the RS4.

Now I don't use them for AutoX though. Take too long to warm up, & they don't rotate as well & slower. Good thing is again they don't get greasy. Don't really have to spray them down