GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200tw tires for Track use

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Are beetle trans swaps a thing on mk7s? Lots of folks swapped them in gtis on mk6s and it was a game changer for big turbo applications
I haven't heard of anyone using beetle trans in mk7. Any worries of gears not holding up to more power? I know the regular 5 spds aren't very robust. I'd guess the R's gears are pretty sturdy, being designed to stand up to 300 hp, AWD, and shitty drivers. Lol

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Y’all the grass is always greener on the other side. DSG guy here wishing the gears were longer. 1st and 2nd are just too short for even a little bit of traction when you’re tuned 😂

Truly I think somewhere between GTI manual and DSG gearing is perfect.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Y’all the grass is always greener on the other side. DSG guy here wishing the gears were longer. 1st and 2nd are just too short for even a little bit of traction when you’re tuned 😂

Truly I think somewhere between GTI manual and DSG gearing is perfect.
So the 7 speed DSG with DQ381 basically. 1 through 6 are shorter and 7th is taller.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
What’s the max speed for each gear? I’m curious how much of a difference there is.

So the DQ381 has a different set of final drives for the GTI vs the R where as the DQ250 uses the same final drives in both

1673787213455.png
1673787259475.png

versus the manual GTI:
1673787325523.png

versus the manual R:
1673787508035.png

Hooray for spreadsheets

EDIT:

I need to sleep more, these numbers are wrong

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
So the DQ381 has a different set of final drives for the GTI vs the R where as the DQ250 uses the same final drives in both

View attachment 270410View attachment 270411

versus the manual GTI:
View attachment 270412

versus the manual R:
View attachment 270413

Hooray for spreadsheets
Thanks. So the 381 has actually even shorter gear ranges than the 250. That seems like it would be impossible to drive in 1st or 2nd if you’re tuned and trying to go hard. That’s opposite of the direction the gearing needs to go IMO. Perfection would be somewhere between the GTI 250 DSG and GTO manual.

Last edited:

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
That chart is wrong. I ended up down this rabbit hole last night because those numbers for 2nd and 3rd gear are absolutely incorrect.

The DQ381 uses the second final drive for gears 2-3-6-7.

1673798288612.png

I made this chart out of frustration because nobody has it documented, let alone double checks to make sure it's sensible in reality. So there you go.

I have verified the GTI DQ381 numbers are dead on within 1mph based on my logging using the charted numbers above (but with the correct 245/40R17 and higher rev limit plugged in).

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
How does the final drive change for 5th and 6th for all the transmissions?
It's not on the last two gears, I was fucking the big dumb

Everyone likes to talk about how a DCT is like a manual and blah blah blah without ever really explaining HOW it's like a manual.

Basically gears 1, 3, & 5 are on their OWN shaft that has it's own final drive associated with it

2, 4, & 6 (and most of the time reverse) have their own as well

They VW was like, AYO we wanna add a gear, what does the PDK do?

Is not complicated, just different than the norm

I completely just mouth breathed past all of this

It was early, imma go with that

IF I HAVE TO EDIT SOMETHING ONE MORE FUCKING TIME lmao

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
FYI I did stumble upon this post after noticing the weird 1-4-5 and 2-3-6-7 final drive pairing (for the DQ381 only) which confirmed my suspicion that the 2nd FD is NOT only used for 6-7 (like literally everybody all over the forum have touted... I'd seen it so much that until plotting the max MPH for myself I just never questioned it). This guy reached out to VW and someone with actual technical knowledge responded with the following:

1673803127676.png

Source:
https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/dq381-dsg-gear-ratios.360005/post-7391784

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
If you want to play around with the calculator yourself you can do so here if you download your own version first. All I ask is just leave my name in the corner for credit.

Here it is on my google drive:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ouid=110828156993139591434&rtpof=true&sd=true

NOTE: Looks like on Sheets it loses the speed comparison gradient formatting (Sheets doesn't seem to have the ability to reference an individual cell (max expected speed on track) in the custom formatting rules. Regardless you can still use it for the actual numbers. I'm not sure if you download it and open in excel if it'll work again, or if it'll lose that functionality along the way.

As far as my version in Excel:
I added a (IMO) neat feature where you can input your expected top speed on track, and it'll change the shading of the top speeds to reflect just how good or bad each trans may be for your particular track/etc. I might need to mess with the formula a tiny bit.

Basically it is set up so that bright yellow is ideal with 5mph of wiggle room before redline. Then it starts turning to bright red (maxing out) at 20mph over your expected top speed (thoughts being that you're giving up a bunch of torque because the ratio is far from ideal).

1673817161982.png

I set this one up for autocross for easy explanation. If you expect to hit 65mph, you can see the GTI DQ250 is absolutely terrible. You'll be all over 2nd, then 3rd gear is definitely going to get used but it's so far from ideal it's not even a shade of orange. The GTI 6MT is a bit longer 2nd gear than ideal but for the given expected top speed is not awful. (Notice it's a shade just a touch darker than bright yellow). All of the R transmissions are about the same for 1-2-3, you can see it'll be in 2nd and 3rd gear a lot, and while 3rd isn't ideal, it's better than the 89mph GTI DQ250. (also of course the R makes more power so it's actual top speed might be higher anyway which you'd need to change to take into account.

This chart here is about what I THINK I might be expecting at VIR next month now that I'm tuned (I'm a GTI DQ381). Ratios aren't bad. I may ride the limiter for a couple seconds at the end of the straights if I actually hit 135, if not then it'll probably be about as good as this gearbox will be.

1673817092575.png

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I actually like the GTI 6speed gearing for the most part. Don't know if the 1.8 has a higher redline, but I can hit 78 in 2nd & 4th is good for 145 on COTA back straight. I think it would be good for 150 or so. Will have to go back and check rpms to make sure

Edit: went back & looked. It was 140 at 6700 rpm. So at 7200, would be 150. If 7000, 146

Last edited: