GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200tw tires for Track use

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Unless you're doing TT, who cares if they're slow? Consistent, communicative, and good wear is more important at an HPDE.
100% and the price is right. I'll likely try the Falken 615K+ next go around b/c I like to try things but yes, if I can have fun on tires and save some money, I'm in!

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
So I've got 5 days on these Accelera 651 Sport tires (255./40/17) at this point - 4 at VIR and I'll call it a "day" doing some holiday laps at Dominion. I say they are a win for me as a n00b for the ~$535 I paid for them. Here is how they landed:

View attachment 268534

For an entry-level set of "track" tires, I'm v. happy with them. They should last several more events if I rotate them front/back. They are v. predictable and easy to drive with lots of noise/feedback so I never feel like they are getting away from me (front is on left/rear on right in pic below). I'm quite sure based on feedback from more experienced drivers that these are "slow" but for someone learning and trying to do so in a progressive manner and not worrying about outright lap times, these are a solid choice. On the street they are loud as would be expected but it's not *that* bad that I couldn't just drive on these in the summer. I have no rain experience with them at this point.
That's some pretty good (non) wear! Will you please remind me what your F/R camber is? Also, is it just the pic, or are they stretched on your wheels(tires run narrow?)?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
That's some pretty good (non) wear! Will you please remind me what your F/R camber is? Also, is it just the pic, or are they stretched on your wheels(tires run narrow?)?
Front is -2 and rear is -1.6. I run the Eurosport Street Camber kit, Superpro LCAs, and H&R Sport springs. Yes, tires run narrow so 255s here are more like a 245 in many other brands. These are 17x9 wheels.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Front is -2 and rear is -1.6. I run the Eurosport Street Camber kit, Superpro LCAs, and H&R Sport springs. Yes, tires run narrow so 255s here are more like a 245 in many other brands. These are 17x9 wheels.
Thanks. Pretty impressed with the lack of outer shoulder wear on the fronts! My last set of tires (Federal RS-Pro) were toast on the outer edge after 5 days, and I have a little more negative camber than you do. I'm def interested in these tires now!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Why does no one make 265 for 17" wheels?
I really want to run 265 front, 255 rear for AutoX.

I'll probably have to run my 18's for AutoX for this, but really don't want to.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Not a 200TW tire... but a very interesting fitment I stumbled upon if you want stupid wide... Maxxis RC1s.

1671763375653.png

275/35R17 reverse staggered with 255/40R17 could be fun if you have 10.5in wheels... This is one tire model I always forget about existing... might try the 255s all around if I remember about them next time around.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Not a 200TW tire... but a very interesting fitment I stumbled upon if you want stupid wide... Maxxis RC1s.

View attachment 268664

275/35R17 reverse staggered with 255/40R17 could be fun if you have 10.5in wheels... This is one tire model I always forget about existing... might try the 255s all around if I remember about them next time around.
I run Maxxis on my mtb and they’re awesome, they last so much longer than other brands and are still sticky. Not sure if that would apply to cars of course.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
The Maxxis RC1 is the sponsored tire for my local track organizations time trial series. Ive talked to a lot of people who run it and they seem enjoy it. Same grip level as A052/RE71RS but a bit cheaper, although I wouldn’t street drive them.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I know at least the S1 compound Maxxis tires were known for lasting a long time. Most people complained of vague feeling and they weren't particularly fast. The Supermiata race series out west ran them.

The S2 compound according to most is improved in nearly every way. I've seen good things written by Andy Hollis regarding the new compound on GRM.

🤷‍♂️

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Ordered 255/40-17 RS4 from Discount. They’re a pain. They wouldn’t allow the R to have 17s or 255 width. So I changed it to my old M Coupe and it cleared but they still called to confirm I wanted four rears. Jeez, just sell me some tires.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ordered 255/40-17 RS4 from Discount. They’re a pain. They wouldn’t allow the R to have 17s or 255 width. So I changed it to my old M Coupe and it cleared but they still called to confirm I wanted four rears. Jeez, just sell me some tires.
You say that but it's reasonable to make sure the tires are ok for the vehicle. I've done the same thing but not sure they will sell you tires that are wildly (to them at least) off from the factory tires?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
You say that but it's reasonable to make sure the tires are ok for the vehicle. I've done the same thing but not sure they will sell you tires that are wildly (to them at least) off from the factory tires?
I'm okay with the nannying, but at some point, you sell a product, let me have it. If I want to put 22's on my Smart car, that's my business.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I just showed them the 265s that I had on there