GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200TW HPDE tire selections (with one condition)

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Why not just take the tire to a shop so that they can remove the screws and plug up your tire?
It's close to the sidewall. Anytime I've taken a tire like that, they refuse to plug, but I'll try

20211021_183644.jpg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Yeah, that's iffy location wise.

You could always go staggered if you can't find 255.
Not a bad idea although the 265 RS4 looks more like a 295. That's why I went 255, but I'm not very low and have some camber, so might be ok

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Is it worth it? Do you guys have your own mounting, balancing machines or take them to a tire shop.

And do they charge the normal mounting balancing amount each time?
I think discount tire it's like $50 per.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Is it worth it? Do you guys have your own mounting, balancing machines or take them to a tire shop.

And do they charge the normal mounting balancing amount each time?
I think discount tire it's like $50 per.
IMHO not worth it. Pretty sure I was just as fast on a non staggered setup. I know a handful of people with machines / balancers so mounting / flipping tires is a non issue

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Place near me will flip them for $80 and balance them. I did flip when I was running GS, with -0.8 camber.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Place near me will flip them for $80 and balance them. I did flip when I was running GS, with -0.8 camber.
That's not bad. If I find something like that, might be worth it. Have to call around

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
That's not bad. If I find something like that, might be worth it. Have to call around
Discount Tire does it for like $20 per wheel and uses Hunter Road Force balancers. Not sure if EVERY tire is road force balanced or if they only take that extra step if they can't get it to balance the normal way.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2011 GTI
I have run the Direzza 2 and the RS4s. I really liked the RS4 but they are out of stock. I’m planning to sell my GTI before 2023 so I also wanted to try something a little faster that would last 5-6 track days. I did a ton of research and found that almost every tire I wanted was OOS in 225/40/18 or 235/40/18. I placed an order for Nitto NT-01s but the order was canceled because they are back ordered too. I asked a few of my track friends and the Nankang AR-1 was suggested as a substitute. I ordered a set from Phil’s yesterday and paid to have them heat cycled. I called before I placed the order to make sure that they were in stock.

My next track day is on 2/21. I’ll post an update here afterward.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Nasa classing updated their modifiers for tire type. It's useful to know what tires are classed together by brand and which aren't, despite the treadwear rating :).

Read into it as you will! ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220109-220214.png
    Screenshot_20220109-220214.png
    394.8 KB · Views: 71

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Nasa classing updated their modifiers for tire type. It's useful to know what tires are classed together by brand and which aren't, despite the treadwear rating :).

Read into it as you will! ;)
I was looking at the TT4 regulations the other day the tire modifier makes no sense to me. Why would a 100 treadwear NT01 be in the same category as a 300tw PS4S?? And the Maxxis RC-1 is pretty much a slick with two grooves.