GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200TW HPDE tire selections (with one condition)

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
If I recall, one of the predecessors to the RT615K (forget if it was the RT215 or the 615 without the “K”), was actually more of an autocross tire which could see some track use on lighter cars. On heavier cars, the tire would tend to get greasy after sustained lapping. This was the reason why I went with a set of RS-2 at the time!

I'd say at this point, every 200TW tire is an autox tire, and the moment they get hot, life goes out the window.

Trackhack in Australia ran the AR-1’s and seemed to like them. But he has moved onto another tire but I do not recall the brand.
I'm sure they're a fine tire, but everyone seemed to indicate they're "cheap". It seems they fall well into the range of all the other tires in the same grouping/price.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I'd say at this point, every 200TW tire is an autox tire, and the moment they get hot, life goes out the window.

I'm sure they're a fine tire, but everyone seemed to indicate they're "cheap". It seems they fall well into the range of all the other tires in the same grouping/price.
I’ve driven on several kinds of 200tw tires going back 15 years (Z1 Star Spec, Z2, RS2 to name a few). On the track, as they’d get hot, there’s been a couple brands that would barely get greasy, there’s a set or two that would get “manageable greasy” and there’s one set I recall that would get “f*ck you greasy.”

Found this old GRM article which kinda describes what I was getting at with the old 615 https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/top-tires/

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
“f*ck you greasy.”
1583940359379.png

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

I think most consider the RS4 to be less an autocross tire and more a track tire. I don't know anyone that runs them in any of the groups I run with.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I've been on NT-05s for my track tires. I put too many street miles on them in between track days (5000+), but they performed very well for the price. Just ordered another pair of 235/40-18s so that I can replace my front 255/35s from the reverse staggered setup I did initially. Those front tires took a pounding, wearing easily 2:1 compared to the rears. Hopefully I don't regret going square for traction, but being able to rotate will be nice.

20190216_153824_HDR by Jon Collier, on Flickr

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've been on NT-05s for my track tires. I put too many street miles on them in between track days (5000+), but they performed very well for the price. Just ordered another pair of 235/40-18s so that I can replace my front 255/35s from the reverse staggered setup I did initially. Those front tires took a pounding, wearing easily 2:1 compared to the rears. Hopefully I don't regret going square for traction, but being able to rotate will be nice.

20190216_153824_HDR by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Aren't most Subaru WRX/STI folks runing 275 square?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Aren't most Subaru WRX/STI folks runing 275 square?
No idea, but we don't really have that kind of clearance on our cars. 265/35 is about as wide as I've seen with stock fenders and not much if any lowering.

Before I did front control arms that added caster the 255/35 was fine, probably could have gone 265/35 as well. That's an 18x9 ET45 with a 5mm spacer. With the added caster I need to run the 235/40s all around.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
No idea, but we don't really have that kind of clearance on our cars. 265/35 is about as wide as I've seen with stock fenders and not much if any lowering.

Before I did front control arms that added caster the 255/35 was fine, probably could have gone 265/35 as well. That's an 18x9 ET45 with a 5mm spacer. With the added caster I need to run the 235/40s all around.
I have a buddy with 335 square on his GR. He's got big flairs though.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I must not be driving fast enough, because I ran A052s last year for 7-8 track days and they still have some life left. I rotated them religiously to keep the wear even (Mid Ohio is hard on the left side) but they were great, and didn't wear out especially quick.

In other news, I snagged a set of the Nexen 200TW tires (Nfera somethings) off someone who bought them, then went a different direction, that I'm going to put to the test in a week. Grassroots did a test where they were pretty impressed with them, so we'll see.