GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200TW HPDE tire selections (with one condition)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I can't find it, but I read a test of all the 100tw tires and the AR-1 was the fastest of the bunch and wear was as good or better. I wouldn't think twice about the AR-1. One I get a third set of wheels, I'll be using FK510 on street, RE71R's for autocross and RS-4 for track, until I go with coils, then I'll move to AR-1.

And about that 5 tire rotation, I think you had a bit of bad luck on one occasion. Don't let that keep you from choosing the right tire, which for you really is the RS4.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I can't find it, but I read a test of all the 100tw tires and the AR-1 was the fastest of the bunch and wear was as good or better. I wouldn't think twice about the AR-1. One I get a third set of wheels, I'll be using FK510 on street, RE71R's for autocross and RS-4 for track, until I go with coils, then I'll move to AR-1.

And about that 5 tire rotation, I think you had a bit of bad luck on one occasion. Don't let that keep you from choosing the right tire, which for you really is the RS4.

US27 from Miami to Sebring is a bit lonely on certain stretches! That’s where I had a screw in a track tire once! Luckily, returning from Sebring- plugged it and got home fine. Don’t want to run a plugged tire at the track however if getting a flat on the way to the track! That 5th tire brings peace of mind!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
That's a lot of inconvenience, cost, and compromise in tire selection for something that happened 1 time in your life. Just saying.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
That's a lot of inconvenience, cost, and compromise in tire selection for something that happened 1 time in your life. Just saying.
It’s actually very convenient! Gone are the days of having to lug around the whole track set to/from the track and scrambling to get them on to tech and first run group! Now I just unload the tool box, jack and 5th wheel/tire and enjoy my coffee!

Last edited:

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Advan A052 from the autoX crowd is that its fast but wears even faster(in autoX) than RE71R and Rival S 1.5s. Also they seem to work better on wider wheels that our normal stuff-fat-tires-on-narrow-wheels approach that is more normal for people using stock width wheels. So for whatever that's worth...

I believe BFG still sells non-S Rival also, which are more preferred by people who does HPDE vs autocrossing.

glitronic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI AutobahnDSG
I'd definitely look at the Hankook RS4 first and foremost for track use, and I would definitely go with as wide a setup as possible. (245/40-17 or 255/40-17 on 17x8-9)

I've tracked my 2017 GTI Sport on my autocross setup: 17x7.5's with 245/50-17 RE71R. They were great and held up fine, but it was not terribly hot out and I was only doing 15 minute or so sessions.
Lots of people track on RE71Rs, but if you live in the south and are tracking on hot days regularly I definitely wouldn't consider them for track use if you want them to last.

Also, this is the time of year when autocrossers are getting fresh tires for the season and there are usually plenty of used RE71R's and the like for sale cheap. 245/40-17 and 255/40-17 are very common.

Swoope

Ready to race!
you don't mention what mods are on you car?

if you do not have camber in control you will kill a set of 100tw tires quick. i can get photos if you like..

i also went through the kumho 720 deal. wow, they were amazing till they delaminated.

right now i am running the indy 500s as DD tire. and light track duty. i also have a set of kook rs3, and toyo 888r that will fit the gti.

i have run them all on the gti. unless your car is setup for 100tw tires you will gain little and develop bad habits.

if you have been doing this a while i would go 200tw tires.

just read you last comment. i would really say the 615+ i got 9 days out of them between the rx8 and the gti. the kooks feel a bit different, but you have to dial it in.

615+ 36 psi hot
kooks 34 psi hot

how are you running an oem type setup at -2 up front?

beers

Last edited:

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
you don't mention what mods are on you car?

if you do not have camber in control you will kill a set of 100tw tires quick. i can get photos if you like..

i also went through the kumho 720 deal. wow, they were amazing till they delaminated.

right now i am running the indy 500s as DD tire. and light track duty. i also have a set of kook rs3, and toyo 888r that will fit the gti.

i have run them all on the gti. unless your car is setup for 100tw tires you will gain little and develop bad habits.

if you have been doing this a while i would go 200tw tires.

just read you last comment. i would really say the 615+ i got 9 days out of them between the rx8 and the gti. the kooks feel a bit different, but you have to dial it in.

615+ 36 psi hot
kooks 34 psi hot

how are you running an oem type setup at -2 up front?

beers

Hey Swoope! I used to be on the RX8 boards and remember your handle. I was SouthFL over there around 2006/7/8 and recently got back into track days after taking a decade off!

To answer your question about getting -2 up front; did it with Superpro Fixed Camber Strut Mounts and Superpro Lower Control Arms. Unrelated to camber, in back I’m running a smallish Superpro 22mm RSB on it’s stiffest setting. Up front, a subframe brace deadset kit. Dampers and Springs are factory.

I’m currently leaning towards the RT615K+ as I can rotate the spare in and I was reading up on their favorable reviews and their price point is great.

I’m not looking to shave a couple seconds off with tire selection- just want to stay out there over 10 or 15 minutes without tires getting greasy or delaminating! I favor predicable handling, communication and some decent wear rate right now over lap times!

I also have a set of the Indy 500 on my wife’s 430i. Great tire! They remind me of my old Dunlop Z1 or Bridgestone S-03 that I used to run on the RX8 even though their treadwear rating is much higher.

Last edited:

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Falken is releasing a RT660 to replace the RT615K+ this month. There's also the Vitour Tempesta Enzo which has nothing but positive reviews from the dozen or so owners that come out to our track events.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Falken is releasing a RT660 to replace the RT615K+ this month. There's also the Vitour Tempesta Enzo which has nothing but positive reviews from the dozen or so owners that come out to our track events.

Those are also directional, so why gamble when the RS4 is a known entity for tracking. It's the gold standard. The challenging part of his question is the non-directional requirement.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
If I’m already enjoying the track day and having a good time out there with the P Zero, I’m sure anything on that short list is going to be an improvement!