GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0t HPFP swap on 1.8t

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
cool, thanks for your replies! i’d like to run mid 12’s

i think i will go ahead and get a dsg tune and rock the jb4 with is38 for a little bit until i’m ready to get a big boy tune and possible pump upgrade. majesty intercooler is on the way as well.
I helped a couple of guys with the is38 and jb4. It didn't work very well. He was a manual alltrack. I don't think he could get more than 18-19 psi on 93 octane. It held a little better in the top end over the is20. I wanted him to try e30, but he didn't have it near him. I do know that I maxed out the fueling in the is20 and e30 with the jb4 and my flash on 93 with the 2.0 hpfp is faster than that. So I would say on 93 with the is38 and jb4 you might get 12's in really cold air. Otherwise you will need ethanol and then it is a question of how far you can go on stock fueling. Maybe 21-22 psi. I ran out a little over 24 peak in is20

xvibes

Car(s)
POLO GTI 1.8lt Gen3
@TwinDad
You seem to be the expert on the matter. You're the only one with Reflect Tuning map for the HPFP.
I remember Ian Nelson in the Golf R-GTI fcbk group posting about it.
I've tried tried swapping to the 2lt HPFP but 3 different tuners here in Greece couldnt figure it out hahaha...
Im maxed out at the moment making 325-330whp (370-375hp crank)...requesting 25 psi constant boost up to 7000rpm and the HPFP at 2900 psi.
But when weather gets colder the HPFP cant keep up with the increased fuel demand cant keep the specified AFR so pressure drops so does boost and in extreme cases I have sudden boost/fuel cuts and rail pressure drops to 2500 psi just to prevent the car from leaning too much.
My question is....would it make any difference to run Golf R injectors with Stock HPFP.
I know a guy in the UK that tried this out and made ZERO difference...

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
@TwinDad
You seem to be the expert on the matter. You're the only one with Reflect Tuning map for the HPFP.
I remember Ian Nelson in the Golf R-GTI fcbk group posting about it.
I've tried tried swapping to the 2lt HPFP but 3 different tuners here in Greece couldnt figure it out hahaha...
Im maxed out at the moment making 325-330whp (370-375hp crank)...requesting 25 psi constant boost up to 7000rpm and the HPFP at 2900 psi.
But when weather gets colder the HPFP cant keep up with the increased fuel demand cant keep the specified AFR so pressure drops so does boost and in extreme cases I have sudden boost/fuel cuts and rail pressure drops to 2500 psi just to prevent the car from leaning too much.
My question is....would it make any difference to run Golf R injectors with Stock HPFP.
I know a guy in the UK that tried this out and made ZERO difference...
Since you're in Greece you might as well look into putting ea888 evo4 di injectors (mk8 gti/mk8r) in instead of mk7r injectors. It seems like VW really upgraded the fueling on the ea888 evo 4 motor.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Since you're in Greece you might as well look into putting ea888 evo4 di injectors (mk8 gti/mk8r) in instead of mk7r injectors. It seems like VW really upgraded the fueling on the ea888 evo 4 motor.
The stock 1.8 hpfp won’t keep up. That is the first limitation before injectors. I’m running 27 peak with 24 at 6,500 and 12+ degrees of advance in e35. That is only because of the 2.0 hpfp swap and tuning for it

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Etuners or ECUTek can’t tune you? I know UGP is Euro and they have done the hpfp swap before. Otherwise it might be worth while to reach out to Reflect

xvibes

Car(s)
POLO GTI 1.8lt Gen3
Etuners or ECUTek can’t tune you? I know UGP is Euro and they have done the hpfp swap before. Otherwise it might be worth while to reach out to Reflect
Havent tried Etuners but I know they havent done sth similar. My only option is Ecotune Scotland but their partner in Greece is 300miles from where I live (and I live in the Capital).
So its true upgrading injectors wont help at all with stock hpfp.
Anyway, Im frustrated tbh, it sucks cause swapping pumps was so easy...
Thanks again :)

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
The stock 1.8 hpfp won’t keep up. That is the first limitation before injectors. I’m running 27 peak with 24 at 6,500 and 12+ degrees of advance in e35. That is only because of the 2.0 hpfp swap and tuning for it
There is no need to upgrade the hpfp on the polo gti with the 1.8t. The 1.8tsi over there has mpi and valvelift. @ Xvibes are there any tuners near you that can tune for bigger mpi injectors? Here are some mpi injector upgrades. https://precisionraceworks.com/collections/fueling/products/bosch-1300cc-matched-injectors-pack-of-4

xvibes

Car(s)
POLO GTI 1.8lt Gen3
TVS will also tune for the 2.0 HPFP if that’s at all helpful…
Yeap I know but no dealer as far as I know anywhere near me. T
There is no need to upgrade the hpfp on the polo gti with the 1.8t. The 1.8tsi over there has mpi and valvelift. @ Xvibes are there any tuners near you that can tune for bigger mpi injectors? Here are some mpi injector upgrades. https://precisionraceworks.com/collections/fueling/products/bosch-1300cc-matched-injectors-pack-of-4
Ι have also thought about that, I dont even have to swap to larger injectors (dont plan to go big just squeeze a few extra hp from the IS38).
I believe stock MPI is ok for a few extra ponnies. Actually I know a tuner that claims to do that, maybe I'll go down this route.

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie

Ι have also thought about that, I dont even have to swap to larger injectors (dont plan to go big just squeeze a few extra hp from the IS38).
I believe stock MPI is ok for a few extra ponnies. Actually I know a tuner that claims to do that, maybe I'll go down this route.
Yeah a hpfp upgrade is pointless if you already have mpi.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance

ECU Tuning – DynoDrome.gr are famous ea113 tuners but I think they tune gen 3 to

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Yeah a hpfp upgrade is pointless if you already have mpi.
MPI is dated technology. The only reason cars make the power they do today is because of DI. Adding more to the MPI or adding it to a car that doesn’t have it is just an inexpensive option vs upgrading the DI. So the cost is the only reason guys do it. A used 2.0 hpfp and vacuum pump is only around $100-150 usd. It is not just allowing more fuel, it’s increasing the pressure by 60+bar. That swap alone on an is20 1.8 netted over 20whp and 30wtq average and peak over the stock hpfp. On larger turbos and higher horsepower cars it’s probably more. So yeah you can get more fueling and power with mpi, but you are leaving power on the table for such a simple upgrade. No other hardware adds that much power per dollar. So yes to mpi and more ethanol, but definitely yes to the 2.0 hpfp as well.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
MPI is dated technology. The only reason cars make the power they do today is because of DI. Adding more to the MPI or adding it to a car that doesn’t have it is just an inexpensive option vs upgrading the DI. So the cost is the only reason guys do it. A used 2.0 hpfp and vacuum pump is only around $100-150 usd. It is not just allowing more fuel, it’s increasing the pressure by 60+bar. That swap alone on an is20 1.8 netted over 20whp and 30wtq average and peak over the stock hpfp. On larger turbos and higher horsepower cars it’s probably more. So yeah you can get more fueling and power with mpi, but you are leaving power on the table for such a simple upgrade. No other hardware adds that much power per dollar. So yes to mpi and more ethanol, but definitely yes to the 2.0 hpfp as well.
The only reason I would want MPI as an add on is to keep the valves clean.

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
Xvibes' car already has mpi. The best thing for Xvibes to do would be to upgrade the port injectors. Nobody with mpi upgrades their hpfp. Jeff at UM doesn't tell people with the 1.8t to upgrade their hpfp on top of adding mpi. Ed doesn't tell people to run an upgraded hpfp with mpi. A hpfp upgrade is useless for Xvibes. if MPI is a dated technology how come it is the key to making big power on the gen3 motors? A hpfp upgrade is only worth it on gen3 1.8t cars that do not come with mpi from the factory and that have very little tuning support.

Last edited: