GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0t HPFP swap on 1.8t

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
How much boost are you running? At what rpm do you think you're getting the misfires?

I thought redux reduces boost at a shift. It may slow you down. Is the transmission not engaging because of the amount of torque?

Last edited:

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
How much boost are you running? At what rpm do you think you're getting the misfires?

I thought redux reduces boost at a shift. It may slow you down. Is the transmission not engaging because of the amount not torque?
The auto hesitates some and takes a second. I know when I was jb4 only, it was quicker with the boost redux at like 40. So now I'm pushing more, the transmission doesn't like the increased boost at the shift. So I have to find that sweet spot of what shifts the fastest, without cutting the boost too much. I'm still hitting 27 psi, but I tried carrying it a little further up and starting earlier. I think it caused the timing to dip some in the top end. I didn't log it. My best on just 93 is like 6.48, so I think I'm getting to a point of too much stack. I'm going to try one less psi with it carrying it further. This is just the beginning of playing around with the stack. Still have plenty to dial in. I'm hoping I can eventually hit a 5.5 60-100. Not sure if I can with the auto though. It would be nice if I can find a road that will allow me a 60-130. I know turnpike north in front of Newark Airport has the spot, but it depends on traffic

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I was running my IS20 at 25-27 in the 4000 range and I had no issues. I was tapering to 23 by 5500 and down to 21-22 by 6000. I just looked at one of your last logs. You have a considerable timing hump at 5000. Maybe you have an issue with too much cylinder pressure and it's being masked by the E40? Maybe turn it down at 5000 and try to run more boost up top? Your turbo is gonna hate life though. Plus side is IS38 life is pretty damn good. ;)

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Have any of you thought about putting on the gen3b hpfp? Supposedly it flows more than a stock gti hpfp. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10105867-2280.pdf
I see that they say they increased the pressure to 250bar, but that does not indicate a volume increase. There is not any additional power in the B engines as much as they are more emissions and gas mileage friendly. That pump also looks like the current 1.8 and MK6 pump. So not sure if anything has changed other than the pressure. I had my stock 1.8 pump at FOL 100 on the jb4 and saw fp_h values higher than what I see on GTI's. So pressure and volume are not always the same thing

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
I see that they say they increased the pressure to 250bar, but that does not indicate a volume increase. There is not any additional power in the B engines as much as they are more emissions and gas mileage friendly. That pump also looks like the current 1.8 and MK6 pump. So not sure if anything has changed other than the pressure. I had my stock 1.8 pump at FOL 100 on the jb4 and saw fp_h values higher than what I see on GTI's. So pressure and volume are not always the same thing
Whoops the hpfp on the tiguan actually looks different. I think this is the part number for it 06G-127-028-D. It looks very similar to the ea888 gen4 evo hpfp on the mk8 gti.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Yeah I know mpi is better for all out power. Is UM the only tuner that offers mpi for the 1.8t ea888 motors?
UM and Reflect are the only tuners in the US that do it right now.

@joedubs @aaronc7 and a few other people have been working on a suite of open source tools which can be used to tune the MK7 cars, that includes MPI.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
It sucks that nobody tunes for hpfp ugprades.
I'm with Reflect. I have an upgraded hpfp, @MonkeyMD is running one with Autotech internals from Reflect and I have mpi in the garage waiting to go in. He is tuning that for me as well. Currently I'm flex fuel tune with him and I've run as much as e45 with the 2.0 hpfp and is20

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I was running my IS20 at 25-27 in the 4000 range and I had no issues. I was tapering to 23 by 5500 and down to 21-22 by 6000. I just looked at one of your last logs. You have a considerable timing hump at 5000. Maybe you have an issue with too much cylinder pressure and it's being masked by the E40? Maybe turn it down at 5000 and try to run more boost up top? Your turbo is gonna hate life though. Plus side is IS38 life is pretty damn good. ;)
So I spoke with Ian some today. After doing some logs, I inquired about how much more advance I should be seeing on e40. Because I'm stacking and the timing is still good. He said I should be able to get more. He just needed me to log and send to him. I'm only seeing like another 2 degrees at most up to 6,300, and then it adds a few more. Joe said he was seeing another 6-8 degrees on ethanol with his 5spd car. So it's partially on me for not logging and sending to him. I just went and stacked right away. I couldn't help it. Lol. He reminded me that my car is still a work in process because of the auto trans. So let's see how it goes from here

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
So I spoke with Ian some today. After doing some logs, I inquired about how much more advance I should be seeing on e40. Because I'm stacking and the timing is still good. He said I should be able to get more. He just needed me to log and send to him. I'm only seeing like another 2 degrees at most up to 6,300, and then it adds a few more. Joe said he was seeing another 6-8 degrees on ethanol with his 5spd car. So it's partially on me for not logging and sending to him. I just went and stacked right away. I couldn't help it. Lol. He reminded me that my car is still a work in process because of the auto trans. So let's see how it goes from here

yea, your top end advance isn't much more than I can run on 93! It's your mid range advance which blows my mind. It will make more sense if he pulls the timing curve up towards the top. The car has maximum timing tables, you're likely at the max values right now. I guess he was planning on advancing the top more.

I was able to get about 4-5 degrees more up top over my 93 tune on E25 FYI. That's without even trying to find the limit.

I'm concerned for you regarding the misfires though.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Have run up to e50 with the Autotech internals on Reflect Flex Tune. It ran really strong before I destroyed my transmission. I just need to get something easier to log with. Torque app is too complicated for me. I'm a simpleton.