GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0t HPFP swap on 1.8t

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Have run up to e50 with the Autotech internals on Reflect Flex Tune. It ran really strong before I destroyed my transmission. I just need to get something easier to log with. Torque app is too complicated for me. I'm a simpleton.

Curious what your advance is at like 6500 on E50.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

When I get it back, I'll log. Might need some help from you all on what parameters to setup in torque. I know I asked before and set it up, but for some reason settings didn't transfer to new phone

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
There's a white paper written by someone (available on google) that states that there's little knock resistant benefit past e-40 (in a port car). Admittedly I havent read the whole paper, but you can't just keep adding timing as you add ethanol. Eventually things will go bang because knock is no longer an indicator.

"...captures the chemistry effect on knock and shows that there is little antiknock benefit beyond 30-40%
ethanol by volume unless the fuel is used in a DI engine"

I'd be curious where that point is on these motors (and I'm sure the di/mpi split plays into it as well)

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
There's a white paper written by someone (available on google) that states that there's little knock resistant benefit past e-40 (in a port car). Admittedly I havent read the whole paper, but you can't just keep adding timing as you add ethanol. Eventually things will go bang because knock is no longer an indicator.

"...captures the chemistry effect on knock and shows that there is little antiknock benefit beyond 30-40%
ethanol by volume unless the fuel is used in a DI engine"

I'd be curious where that point is on these motors (and I'm sure the di/mpi split plays into it as well)
Need a dyno or a log when a car goes boom. Haha.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Also need a gti vacuum pump

stout90

Passed Driver's Ed
ive just bought a used is38 for my gsw 4mo dsg. currently stock, running just a jb4. got a downpipe waiting to install as well. there isnt any ethanol around me, so id stick to only 93.

all the is38 tunes i can get for my car (apr, unitronic) wont work with the 2.0 hpfp, correct? but if i go reflect or maestro, those can be tuned for the 2.0 pump? do i need the 2.0 pump with just 93?

also, is it okay to run my jb4 only and is38 for a bit while i figure out more about the tuning and save monies for a good tune/supporting mods

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
ive just bought a used is38 for my gsw 4mo dsg. currently stock, running just a jb4. got a downpipe waiting to install as well. there isnt any ethanol around me, so id stick to only 93.

all the is38 tunes i can get for my car (apr, unitronic) wont work with the 2.0 hpfp, correct? but if i go reflect or maestro, those can be tuned for the 2.0 pump. do i need the 2.0 pump with just 93?

also, is it okay to run my jb4 only and is38 for a bit while i figure out more about the tuning and save monies for a good tune/supporting mods

maestro does not work for the 2.0 pump.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT

all the is38 tunes i can get for my car (apr, unitronic) wont work with the 2.0 hpfp, correct? but if i go reflect or maestro, those can be tuned for the 2.0 pump? do i need the 2.0 pump with just 93?

What are your goals? If you're not going to run ethanol and you're not looking to get every HP possible out of the IS38, there is no need to run a upgraded HPFP on a IS38 1.8. It's safe to run the IS38 on the stock tune as long as you're not beating on it all the time. It's also safe to run on a JB4. I recommend the JB4 route over the completely stock route because you can log.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
What are your goals? If you're not going to run ethanol and you're not looking to get every HP possible out of the IS38, there is no need to run a upgraded HPFP on a IS38 1.8. It's safe to run the IS38 on the stock tune as long as you're not beating on it all the time. It's also safe to run on a JB4. I recommend the JB4 route over the completely stock route because you can log.
I would debate this one. The pump alone on an is20 tune made 20whp/30tq. The reason these engines can run higher compression and high boost is because of direct injection. Running that at a higher pressure and more volume is better. Plus, every OTS file for the is38 is fuel limited. They are not tapping into it's full potential. So the hpfp definitely would help on just 93. I know Joe's car was making like 340/35x at the wheels with just 22 psi on the is38 and 2.0 hpfp on 93. Anyone else getting that or better was ethanol and a lot more boost

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I would debate this one. The pump alone on an is20 tune made 20whp/30tq. The reason these engines can run higher compression and high boost is because of direct injection. Running that at a higher pressure and more volume is better. Plus, every OTS file for the is38 is fuel limited. They are not tapping into it's full potential. So the hpfp definitely would help on just 93. I know Joe's car was making like 340/35x at the wheels with just 22 psi on the is38 and 2.0 hpfp on 93. Anyone else getting that or better was ethanol and a lot more boost

Totally true.. I'm just saying nobody *needs* a pump upgrade if they are running a IS38. If they want one, that's another story. In this power game, nothing is free. You actually pay money to make more power to lessen the longevity of the engine, which actually costs you more money down the line.

I think a IS38 1.8 tuned at 22 psi to 6000 rpm would be a really fast golf. Yes, there will be power left on the table, but it will be a very solid setup.

With that said.. You won't get the full potential out of a turbo if you don't have the fueling for it. It's all a system that works together. You figure out what setup you want. You figure out at what point of the diminishing returns graph you want to stop at. :)

stout90

Passed Driver's Ed
cool, thanks for your replies! i’d like to run mid 12’s

i think i will go ahead and get a dsg tune and rock the jb4 with is38 for a little bit until i’m ready to get a big boy tune and possible pump upgrade. majesty intercooler is on the way as well.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I know nothing about 1/4 mile numbers. :) I think @TwinDad will have a better idea about that.

Post your IS38/JB4 logs in the Golf JB4 section.

ketoi12345678

Ready to race!

Maestro does NOT work with GTI HPFL. Ask me how I know!
Finally, I pulled the trigger and purchased Reflect Tunning for my IS38 with GTI HPFP.