GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0t HPFP swap on 1.8t

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Assuming this is for the DSG and not the slushbox.
I'm slushbox fwd sportwagen. I'm on a flex fuel tune, 2.0 hpfp, and is20. The car is ripping. Did a small stack with the jb4 to get a little more torque in the midrange and it is just right. This is with about 200 lbs of crap in the back, roof racks on and my giant ass in the driver's seat. Probably weighing in over 3,700 lbs. I also let it shift on its own at 6,500 to third. It usually does better when I shift a little bit sooner. I think I can hit a 5.7-5.8 with all the stuff out of the back
Screenshot_20201203-180123_dragy.jpg

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Any update on this option would love to be able to switch fuel mixtures with changing tune. Running an is38 on full tilt sounds fun
On is20 I can get up to e45 with the 2.0 hpfp and the flex tune. I'd imagine the Autotech upgrade will allow the is38 to do the same or maybe more. Eventually the 1.8 stock injectors will meet their limit though. Not sure what that is. Then mpi would be needed

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Any update on this option would love to be able to switch fuel mixtures with changing tune. Running an is38 on full tilt sounds fun

It's running great other than a CEL for the ethanol sensor. No idea why, but Ian said he would work on it

I have run up to e40 with no apparent issues and I can tell a big difference between apr is38 and flex tune. I say apparent because I haven't logged it yet.

Next step is logging and dyno. Did a baseline apr is38 dyno so I can compare.

But as Twindad mentioned, it rips. Spin all the way through 2nd and that's with 265 fk510

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'd love to see your logs when you guys flip between 93 and E40 on the tune. This stuff is pretty mind blowing to me.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
I'm slushbox fwd sportwagen. I'm on a flex fuel tune, 2.0 hpfp, and is20. The car is ripping. Did a small stack with the jb4 to get a little more torque in the midrange and it is just right. This is with about 200 lbs of crap in the back, roof racks on and my giant ass in the driver's seat. Probably weighing in over 3,700 lbs. I also let it shift on its own at 6,500 to third. It usually does better when I shift a little bit sooner. I think I can hit a 5.7-5.8 with all the stuff out of the back
Good god this entire time whenever I see sportwagons I just assume AWD and that they have either the DSG or the 6-spd. This is actually incredibly interesting to me now, I'm stuck with 91 end ethanol isn't close enough to be practical but I know that I'm nowhere close to maxing out my Is38 with the stock pump.

You're tuning through reflect right?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Good god this entire time whenever I see sportwagons I just assume AWD and that they have either the DSG or the 6-spd. This is actually incredibly interesting to me now, I'm stuck with 91 end ethanol isn't close enough to be practical but I know that I'm nowhere close to maxing out my Is38 with the stock pump.

You're tuning through reflect right?
Yes

UnderdogA3

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm slushbox fwd sportwagen. I'm on a flex fuel tune, 2.0 hpfp, and is20. The car is ripping. Did a small stack with the jb4 to get a little more torque in the midrange and it is just right. This is with about 200 lbs of crap in the back, roof racks on and my giant ass in the driver's seat. Probably weighing in over 3,700 lbs. I also let it shift on its own at 6,500 to third. It usually does better when I shift a little bit sooner. I think I can hit a 5.7-5.8 with all the stuff out of the backView attachment 195146
Ahh perfect so I could still tweek with jb4 and methonal controller with the flex tune

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
The tuner will tell you not to, but there is room to stack and the jb4 is working great. All tuners will say don't do it though

Lots of people (tuners included) have told me incorrect information about the JB4. Some false statements:
1. You can't flash the ECU without uninstalling the JB4.
2. The JB4 defeats all the safeties in the ECU and the engine will blow up.

The facts are:
1. You can reflash the car with the JB4 connected.
2. The JB4 has it's own safeties and is only as harmful as the person setting it up.
3. If you tune slowly, you'll likely see slight ECU corrections and cause no harm. You can easily make an adjustment in 2 minutes. No ECU flash can do that.

Joshyboy

Car(s)
2016 GSW SE
I'm slushbox fwd sportwagen. I'm on a flex fuel tune, 2.0 hpfp, and is20. The car is ripping. Did a small stack with the jb4 to get a little more torque in the midrange and it is just right. This is with about 200 lbs of crap in the back, roof racks on and my giant ass in the driver's seat. Probably weighing in over 3,700 lbs. I also let it shift on its own at 6,500 to third. It usually does better when I shift a little bit sooner. I think I can hit a 5.7-5.8 with all the stuff out of the backView attachment 195146
Maybe you can help me out, I just bought a 2016 golf sportwagen 1.8 tsi with fwd in october, had 32k on the clock, lowered with kwv2 and vmr 18 wheels. it was 15.8k..... kinda feel like I over paid for it considering there a fully built GTI's same mileage for 18k... but thats another story. I have a shuenk is38 oem + turbo, IE intercooler, IE turbo inlet and IE downpipe, sitting in my garage uninstalled. Its currently just running on a jb4, I have been struggling to determine how the 09g would handle 350 hp etc. I just contacted reflect tuning and he said I need a GTI hpfp to run their tune with the 09g...... burger tuning said they can run the is38 with just their piggy back tune. I am not looking for big power just want to get past the 300 hp mark. Are you running a TCU tune as well? I heard that the slush box doesnt need it. Thanks in advance.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Maybe you can help me out, I just bought a 2016 golf sportwagen 1.8 tsi with fwd in october, had 32k on the clock, lowered with kwv2 and vmr 18 wheels. it was 15.8k..... kinda feel like I over paid for it considering there a fully built GTI's same mileage for 18k... but thats another story. I have a shuenk is38 oem + turbo, IE intercooler, IE turbo inlet and IE downpipe, sitting in my garage uninstalled. Its currently just running on a jb4, I have been struggling to determine how the 09g would handle 350 hp etc. I just contacted reflect tuning and he said I need a GTI hpfp to run their tune with the 09g...... burger tuning said they can run the is38 with just their piggy back tune. I am not looking for big power just want to get past the 300 hp mark. Are you running a TCU tune as well? I heard that the slush box doesnt need it. Thanks in advance.

Lucky for you you can slowly push the power up with the JB4 and back off a bit if you see a problem. Pretty sure Twindad is at or past the 300 whp mark.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

You don't need an upgraded hpfp for is38 tune. Now if you want to go flex fuel, you will definitely need it.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
You'll want to do the 2.0 hpfp. I was the test car for the 09G. I started with the stock hpfp and we just couldn't get past a certain point. I'm is20. The auto has a torque limiter built in that is hard to get around. You have to trick it. It makes the tune a little softer down low, but has much stronger top end. I've seen APR is20 manuals beat APR is38 autos. So even APR had to work around it. Once we did the 2.0 hpfp, it gained a lot more throughout. Little hiccups in the tune also went away. I was logging and also using dragy to measure the performance gains. On the stock hpfp, I couldn't get any faster than jb4 on 93. When we upgraded to the 2.0 hpfp, my flash tune 94 times match my jb4 e30 times. I had the jb4 maxed out as well. There was nothing left to give. You can find the 2.0 hpfp and vacuum box being sold together on eBay for around $100-125. You need the vacuum box as well. It's a 20 minute install. Also, on the is38 and jb4, you won't get too far. It just isn't capable of getting it to that point. Then the fueling will run out because it can't control things like the injectors or pumps. It only increases the rail pressure. The Reflect is38 tune with the hpfp will get you in the 340+whp range. Jb4 will be about 300

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Also to add in, when he first tested the 2.0 hpfp on a manual is20 car, it picked up somewhere in the range of 18-20 whp and torque across the range. No other changes to the tune other than the hpfp. It runs about 40 bar higher pressure. I believe it's because of the better atomization of the fuel at the injectors under the increased pressure and volume. That is20 car was right at 300whp on 93

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I gave it another go with less weight, but I got greedy and tried upping the stack more above 4,000. I got one good run than an EPC for misfires. I didn't log, so I'm guessing I pushed it too much. Going to dual it back a bit and try playing with the auto shift boost redux to see if I can get the shift to happen a bit quicker. Would be a solid 5.4-5.5 if it were a dsg 😔
received_1123270551438523.jpeg