GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0t HPFP swap on 1.8t

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Anyone see a benefit in upgrading the HPFP internals as well before swapping this on? Probably not for IS20 but for IS38? It seems like GTI's with IS38 swaps see benefits

Second question, anyone having these used pumps tested before installing? If so, where and how?
I think going with a larger upgraded one is only beneficial beyond is38. I've seen some cars go 400whp on stock

Nikolay1

The HPFP for the latest generation RS3/TTRS (EA855 Evo engine) is a Bosch like our cars and is a bolt on. The sensor connector is on the same side as ours. My fuel hose barely reached. I'm not sure if this HPFP flows more than ours though. I'll just have to log it and find out.

hi, you already install ttRS HPFP? How it is work? On some picture I have saw that TTRS camshaft has 3 cams for HPFP, maybe picture was not correct. But if it have 3 and 2.0 have 4 with different profile it can be a problem.

Last edited:

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
Twindad, any update, did you get the pump on and flashed the tune?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Twindad, any update, did you get the pump on and flashed the tune?
I was doing the late at night Ebay shopping when I purchased the hpfp and vacuum box. I totally overlooked that the pump was missing the VCV plug. I'm kicking myself. They are not easy to find. I'm searching for a seized pump now for cheap just for the plug. I have a broken one that I fixed. I'll give that a try if I cant find one.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
So my first update. I got the pump installed and the base file running. It's a low boost just for testing. The car started and runs perfectly. 200bar of pressure at full throttle. Just on the base map it is half a second faster 60-100 than the jb4 was on 93 octane. I'm going to try and flash an updated file today and see how it does. If all is good, it should at least match my times for what I was running with e30 on just 93. Next step will be an ethanol sensor and flex fuel file.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I’m curious to see how your 60-100 compares to mine on the E blend. My best is 5.55. Given the colder weather, no cat, aftermarket TIP, FWD with less drivetrain loss, etc you should be in the low 5 to high 4 sec range?
I doubt it. Kristian was 4.9 as his best with the 5spd manual, no shift, is38, APR tune, jb4 stack, meth injection and an exhaust cut out at the downpipe. Being how slow the auto shifts compared to the dsg, I think the difference in drivetrain loss would be about the difference in shift speed on that run. Right now on a base file with low boost and 93 it is 6.9. I'm guessing once we tweak some things and up the boost it will be about mid 6's on 93. With the jb4 I was a full second faster in e30. I should be able to run e40-e50 on the flex fuel file and the larger hpfp. So hopefully a second off the 93 octane times. That would put me mid 5's maybe. If I had a dsg, I could easily knock off at least another couple of tenths

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I doubt it. Kristian was 4.9 as his best with the 5spd manual, no shift, is38, APR tune, jb4 stack, meth injection and an exhaust cut out at the downpipe. Being how slow the auto shifts compared to the dsg, I think the difference in drivetrain loss would be about the difference in shift speed on that run. Right now on a base file with low boost and 93 it is 6.9. I'm guessing once we tweak some things and up the boost it will be about mid 6's on 93. With the jb4 I was a full second faster in e30. I should be able to run e40-e50 on the flex fuel file and the larger hpfp. So hopefully a second off the 93 octane times. That would put me mid 5's maybe. If I had a dsg, I could easily knock off at least another couple of tenths

What does your boost curve currently look like? Any idea what the final boost curve will look like?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
On the run that was 6.9 seconds, it was only 23peak tapering to 16-17 at 6,500. So pretty mild

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
On the run that was 6.9 seconds, it was only 23peak tapering to 16-17 at 6,500. So pretty mild

I'm at about 19 PSI by 6500, so you definitely have a lot of room there. You disconnected the JB4?

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
Twindad, did you do an injector swap as well, or only the HPFP so far?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Twindad, did you do an injector swap as well, or only the HPFP so far?
No injectors. Just the hpfp. The injector cycle can be changed enough that they outflow the stock hpfp. My tuner did a bunch testing on a manual golf with is20 and he was running >e50 no problem. The next step is going to be mpi though after the ethanol sensor and flex fuel

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I got a tweaked file to log and test out. The best 60-100 I could get today wa slightly uphill and was 6.63 seconds. So I'm almost at my e30 and jb4 times. About a tenth or so away. My best jb4 and e30 on a similar slope was like 6.47. So it's close. Based on the 93 octane improvement, I'm figuring I should be mid 5's on e30-40

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
@TwinDad - any updates how things are running? Did you upgrade your injectors as well? Wondering if I should go this route still since I have all the parts waiting to go in or sell off for possible MPI

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
@TwinDad - any updates how things are running? Did you upgrade your injectors as well? Wondering if I should go this route still since I have all the parts waiting to go in or sell off for possible MPI
It is still running great. Currently I'm just 2.0 hpfp and the stock injectors. Seems like the stock hpfp is the weak point over the stock injectors once tuned properly. Next step for me will be just ethanol sensor and flex fuel at the moment. Still piecing together other things for any further development beyond that

UnderdogA3

Passed Driver's Ed
according to torquebyte they have a controller that works on 1.8 fwd and all wheel drive allowing for installation of high flow pump. This seems to solve the fuel flow issue but finding someone to tune it seems like it could be a problem. BTW works with any tune