GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0t HPFP swap on 1.8t

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Are you being ironic? Sorry, I didn’t mean to offend.

I was just thinking of is38 OTS tunes like APR that get 400 hp on the GTi and 350 hp on the 1.8, both with the same LPFP, so I wasn’t thinking the LPFP was a limiting factor on the 350hp.

I’m not at all trying to be an expert. Please correct me / educate me if I’m wrong.
I was just being funny, I didn't know the GTI HPFP was bigger than the 1.8. The 1.8 is also limited b/c of the 1) displacement and 2) no VVT on the exhaust cam.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Hopefully, you aren’t using Eurodyne thinking you’ll be getting MPI.

ClancyMcCintock

Car(s)
‘19 Alltrack, 84 GTi
Hopefully, you aren’t using Eurodyne thinking you’ll be getting MPI.
Yeah, I was.:(

Another reason I was hoping I could just upgrade the internals of my HPFP to get to 400hp. The whole tuning issue.

I see MPI tables in there.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Last I checked maestro didn’t have MPI for the 1.8 ecu and that’s one of the reasons why I gave up on my big turbo alltrack 2.0. You can’t swap the HPFP internals either.

S-4Motion

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen 4Mo
3 people with years of experience with this are saying MPI.
Ok. you’d be a fool not to heed this.

And I saw Diggs removed his autotech HPFP because of pressure spikes.

But one more question so my mind doesn’t nag me:
Is the advice the same if I tell you I’m putting a 2.0 Jetta GLI engine in my Alltrack, with the same injectors as a GTi, and my goal is just 400 hp (crank) on 91? and there’s no ethanol around here. ( I mean, in the liquor store, yeah, but I’m not aiming to put Everclear in it. )
Definitely curious about your 2.0 swap. Do you know if it's the same as the Golf r motor with vvt exhaust? Do you have a thread about this build?

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Definitely curious about your 2.0 swap. Do you know if it's the same as the Golf r motor with vvt exhaust? Do you have a thread about this build?
It’s not if it’s a GLI. The GLI is almost the same as a 1.8 but stroked. I did this swap a few years ago.

ClancyMcCintock

Car(s)
‘19 Alltrack, 84 GTi
Yeah, Jetta GLI from 2016. CPPA engine code, if I remember correctly.

I‘ll start a thread on the build.

Last edited:

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, Jetta GLI from 2016. CDDB engine code, if I remember correctly.

I‘ll start a thread on the build.
I'm not sure if the injectors on the gen3 nonmqb gli are the same as those found on the mk7 gti. Maybe try putting on a mk8 hpfp and injectors. Also the mk8r has a brushless lpfp now so you could also look into that. A mk7 gti hpfp with upgraded internals probably won't flow as much as a stock mk8 gti/r hpfp.
1707321631517.png
1707321648578.png
1707321705278.png

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
The issue would be trying to tune that bag of parts.

ClancyMcCintock

Car(s)
‘19 Alltrack, 84 GTi
I'm not sure if the injectors on the gen3 nonmqb gli are the same as those found on the mk7 gti. Maybe try putting on a mk8 hpfp and injectors. Also the mk8r has a brushless lpfp now so you could also look into that. A mk7 gti hpfp with upgraded internals probably won't flow as much as a stock mk8 gti/r hpfp.

That is very interesting, but, yeah, I’m certainly not the one to attempt to tune that project.

And the injectors are the same for the GTi and the GLi.
https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2...-Sedan/Fuel-Injector/90356372/06A906036Q.html

IMG_0297.jpeg

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
That is very interesting, but, yeah, I’m certainly not the one to attempt to tune that project.

And the injectors are the same for the GTi and the GLi.
https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2...-Sedan/Fuel-Injector/90356372/06A906036Q.html

View attachment 299075
Not sure if you guys saw this but apr just released their conti turbo tune for the mk8 gti. Pretty wild gains for a stock turboback and fuel system.
https://www.goapr.com/blog/post/apr_stage_3_oem_ecu_upgrade_for_the_mk8_gti_/
1707406648157.png
1707406668727.png

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
An IS38 on pump isn't going to be limited on the stock LPFP regardless of 1.8 or 2.0 (since it is the same pump). Once you start tinkering with heavy ethanol is when it starts getting to the edge. If you are going to stick with the IS38 and pump gas then get the MPI in and be done.

I don't know much about MPI, but is their any benefit using it with exclusively pump gas? I was under the impression it was only beneficial if running Exx fuel. See vehicle info below..

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I have yet to see anyone say... Oh man.. I so regret going MPI. I've NEVER seen that from all the people we have pointed towards MPI. Quite a few people have regretted gong with an aftermarket HPFP or messing with the HPFP at all.