GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'19 Mk7.5 R issues

Reredrum

Hello there, long time reader first time poster.

I've been a domestic LS guy for the last 14 years now I've bought myself a new R for a daily.

Love the car, 7500kms in and I've got a tsunami of issues with it.

1) interior assist handles (replaced under warranty)
2) chipped windshield which turned into a crack before I could take it in to get it replaced under extended warranty (currently battling the dealership on that issue)
3) brake booster limited (can only apply 1/4 pedal travel and it feels like abs is having a panic attack) p2006 (intake manifold flaps stuck closed) and a cel

I just recently installed a turbo inlet, turbo muffler delete and a hose.
Also did the intake mod with a drop in filter.

I'm planning on taking it back to the dealer in the next few days to see if they would looks after

What do you guys think, are they gonna see the cold side aftermarket plumbing and ask me to go fly a kite or they should look after the issues with no questions asked.

I've looked over all the hoses all the vacuum lines nothing seems to be cracked pinched or broken.

When i did all the intake mods I put everything back as it was and very carefully as i was aware that i wasnt working on a "fix it with a hammer" LS engine.

Where do i start. This all came up after I re connected the battery and went for a drive. No issues before that.

Otherwise, Merry Christmas and a happy new year. Looking forward to your insight. Thanks

Ish

Bake

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The interior assist handles are certainly a weak point on these cars and lots of people have had to replace theirs. Same thing with the windshield. I just replaced mine at 10k miles after a chip turned into a crack within days. Mine was caused by a rock on the highway unfortunately. As for the break booster... I have no personal experience with that, but I did also do the same mods recently (TIP, muffler delete and intake hose) and i didn't throw any codes or have any issues. I know you said you checked all hoses but maybe another run through them could help. I'm sure the dealership will try to point towards your mods as the reason for the code... but, in all honestly.... it wasn't having the issues before you installed the parts right? So something must have happened during the process.

Reredrum

Update: I did a once over, and it seems like the vacuum sensor thing right next to the turbo inlet pipe had popped off and was causing all these issues, simply plugged it back in and cleared the codes, all is fine and dandy now. I must've knocked it loose during install and it popped off on a few hard launches

Thanks

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Have you used your grab handles yet? Because if you do that will fall apart almost before your eyes. All of them

Yes, friends have grabbed onto the front passenger handle several times. Including my buddy who weighs 330lbs, so far, so good. I have no doubt they'll eventually fail, they just haven't yet.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
My 18R has original grab handles... No issues. You guys holding on to them for dear life or what?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
My 18R has original grab handles... No issues. You guys holding on to them for dear life or what?

This VERY common issue only seems to afflict '19 models. VW either switched suppliers to save a few cents and bought a bunch of turds, or squeezed the original supplier for a lower cost, and got rewarded with turds. Either way - we got turds on the '19s and they break ALL the time.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
List of my '19 R issues so far:

- Screw fell from behind the dash somewhere and was rolling around. Ended up finding it behind the little compartment next to the wheel. No idea where it came from.

- Digital cluster makes an odd mechanical noise after about 20 mins of driving. Sounds like a clock wheel. Not related to infotainment or hvac.

- Windshield chipped on the highway, was cracked from end to end literally in 2 mins. No chance to save it.

- Windshield replaced after crack - Front assist system turns on randomly now, even when objects aren't around me. Also alignment is off since then. Battling with the dealership on this.

- Infotainment screen replaced under warranty. There were marks inside of the glass from assembly.

- Airbag sensor failure. Dealership had to remove the entire seat and a bunch of paneling to gain access to the part. Scratched up a bunch of plastic and now some of the clips don't stay.

All in 6K :)

olds350

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow, that must have been a Monday build after a holiday. Bought mine in July and have almost 8k on it now. Been a solid car for me so far with only one trip back to the dealer for a rear seat rattle.

GTI_Guy13

Passed Driver's Ed
VW windshields are super soft. My 15' R got a chip last year and within 2 days was across to the other side. I'm fortunate that I'm in a state that doesn't have safety inspections so there's nothing forcing me to get it fixed. I'm now one of "those people" with a cracked windshield.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
List of my '19 R issues so far:

- Screw fell from behind the dash somewhere and was rolling around. Ended up finding it behind the little compartment next to the wheel. No idea where it came from.

My 19 GTI had a screw fall out somewhere from under the dash on the passenger side and it's a buzzing rattle somewhere under there now. Killing me.