GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

$185 + 30 Minutes = 52 Ft. lbs. & 26 Hp

EvilIII

chick's love smiley faces
So I just got back from SEMA. (well a few days ago) I have finally broken in my 07 GTI right before I left and I was ready to start modding and seeing what I could get out of this beast with few tweaks. I have to admit I was sorta inspired by the new found shop beast "Mazdaspeed3". I will just say that with a Bov, Catback and Intake the car is dumb fast. I refer to it as a SRT-4 with nicer interior. Nonetheless the GTI does not have a chance in stock form. But it's turbocharged and improvements are only an mbc away.

So here are the numbers on my car with an MBC and FCD vs. Same car bone stock 1 hour earlier.

:evil:

Jermaine~

Attachments

• GTI-stock-vs-mbc-dyno.jpg
    GTI-stock-vs-mbc-dyno.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 2,041

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
Manual boost controller = MBC

where did u put a an MBC? please explain what you did so every can understand. ohhh this is a dyno of the mazda speed 3?

alf

EvilIII

Manual boost controller = MBC

where did u put a an MBC? please explain what you did so every can understand. ohhh this is a dyno of the mazda speed 3?

alf

No this is my GTI. Let me find a diagram of the boost controller install.

EvilIII

The boost controller install just like this:

The FCD (Fuel Cut Defender) is a bit more involved but not hard at all.

Jermaine~

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
this actually the first example of MBC on a GTI from what i know and seen.

but... i hope you have boost regulated by a boost gauge which i assume you are of course. Also, how are you managing the timing w/ the additional boost?

really good to see though, a cheaper, but riskier alternative to a chip.

alf

EDIT: do you have any AFR's?

EvilIII

this actually the first example of MBC on a GTI from what i know and seen.

but... i hope you have boost regulated by a boost gauge which i assume you are of course. Also, how are you managing the timing w/ the additional boost?

really good to see though, a cheaper, but riskier alternative to a chip.

alf

EDIT: do you have any AFR's?

This is the type of stuff I do for a living. A boost gauge will tell you how much boost you are running but it will not regulate it. You use the boost controller to regulate the boost pressure, of course I have a gauge installed. Engine Computer's have fuel tables that are RPM vs MAF (Airflow). Typically as you raise your boost you are increasing your airflow. The more airflow you generally need less ignition advance for a bigger bang. I have some other testing I will be doing shortly with AFR logs.

I am honestly more worried about generic reflash used on everyones car's with random intake designs and different exhaust parts. Over the years of tuning and installing many different parts on cars. Every intake effects the AFR somehow, most of them lean the car out. Some intakes are worse than others. When an MBC is installed the car typically gets richer as the boost goes up. The only time when fuel issues are found is when fuel cut is engaged.

FYI. I am not recommending anyone try this stuff.

Jermaine~

Last edited:

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
This is the type of stuff I do for a living. A boost gauge will tell you how much boost you are running but it will not regulate it. You use the boost controller to regulate the boost pressure, of course I have a gauge installed. Engine Computer's have fuel tables that are RPM vs MAF (Airflow). Typically as you raise your boost you are increasing your airflow. The more airflow you generally need less ignition advance for a bigger bang. I have some other testing I will be doing shortly with AFR logs.

I am honestly more worried about generic reflash used on everyones car's with random intake designs and different exhaust parts. Over the years of tuning and installing many different parts on cars. Every intake effects the AFR somehow, most of them lean the car out. Some intakes are worse than others. When an MBC is installed the car typically gets richer as the boost goes up. The only time when fuel issues are found is when fuel cut is engaged.

FYI. I am not recommending anyone try this stuff.

Jermaine~
lol id love to see more of your testing. and knowledge thats great power.

but like you most companies go the R&D before releasing a product. im sure theyve tested a MBC, but i wonder why some wouldnt approve of it and jsut suggest a reflash.

a reflash is just like a boost controller EXCEPT, it controls boost levels AND timing.

alf

EvilIII

lol id love to see more of your testing. and knowledge thats great power.

but like you most companies go the R&D before releasing a product. im sure theyve tested a MBC, but i wonder why some wouldnt approve of it and jsut suggest a reflash.

a reflash is just like a boost controller EXCEPT, it controls boost levels AND timing.

alf

I have nothing to release bro.. this is my personal car. I am doing this because I have the tools at my leisure and car's that i love to make faster.

The concept is that it controls timing. I wouldn't be shocked if you log reflash timing and stock ecu timing and found out they aren't all that different. I would even go to say reflash may be running more timing :evil:. MBC's aren't approved because if you do it incorrectly you will hit fuel cut immediately. Vw's are really no more complicated than a WRX, Evo or SRT-4.

Jermaine~

EvilIII

tapers? also revo gives you control over your timing.

18 psi down to like 10 or so at redline. - tapering

I am pretty sure the from what I talked to George Osmun @ Revo he said that you have the ability to make a global correction to the timing map. Not actual the actual ability to build timing map. You do have some control.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
im REALLY liking this idea, looks like it made more power than just a chip.

also i might want to try this out...

1. id set my revo to the stock setting.
2. unplug my battery to reset the ECU.
3. install the boost gauge.
4. drive around for about an hour to allow the ECU to RELEARN itself to the new amount of boost.

5. what youre saying does make complete sense... niiceee.

defeats the purpose of a reflash and still supports mods fairly well.

alf