GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

18 Inch wheel 245/40/18-Rubbing?

sharphawk

Hey everyone, as my tires are coming to the end of their life, I am going to upgrade to ps4s and wanted to get a set of budget friendly wheels for cosmetics, and was looking at the 18" Style 330 Alzors in 18x8 et42. My question is, if I go up to 245/40/18, will this fit safely/comfortably on the wheel (I don't believe they make an 18x8.5 which would probably be ideal) and if I would have any rubbing issues? Or should I stick to 235/40/18? I wanted to try to do 245 to fill out the wheel well as I am on stock suspension and don't want to lower it. Thanks!

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
I have 255/35/18s with 18x8.5 et43 on coilovers and I only rub when my car is fully loaded and hitting highway bumps, or under very hard cornering.

Wider and better rubber will make a world of improvement in the handling even with stock suspension.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I have 245/40/18 tires on 18x8 ET 45 wheels and stock suspension. Added 7mm spacers to rear wheels and no rubbing anywhere.

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
I have 245/40/18 on 18x8.5 et45 on stock suspension and i had slight rubbing on the fuel filler neck when i took the wheel off you could see were they had just been touching to make it shining. Ended up putting 10mm spacers on and no problems since.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Hmm so I guess 235/40/18 should have no rubbing? Feel like this may be the safest bet then as I don't want to make additional mods to get it to work.
Tires vary in width, depending on manufacturer. You are buying wheels for looks. Larger tires and spacers will look better.

alnation1

Passed Driver's Ed
I have Konig Ampliform Wheels 18, 8.5, 43mm offset and I just got CONTINENTAL- EXTREMECONTACT DWS06 245/40R 18 to replace my stock tires (stock suspension). I noticed some rubbing with sudden dips/bumps, I think it's on the right side, I assume same as what described above. Can anyone send me a link to the spacers purchased? I want to get the correct ones!

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I have Konig Ampliform Wheels 18, 8.5, 43mm offset and I just got CONTINENTAL- EXTREMECONTACT DWS06 245/40R 18 to replace my stock tires (stock suspension). I noticed some rubbing with sudden dips/bumps, I think it's on the right side, I assume same as what described above. Can anyone send me a link to the spacers purchased? I want to get the correct ones!
Rubbing on the inside edge of the tire or the outside? Front wheels or rear?

Spacers usually fit only the front or the rear and are not interchangeable, due to the hubs on the rear axles.
And if it's rubbing the outside edge of the tire, spacers will only compound the problem.