GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

18 GTI SE front brakes

Jonnymk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
Just got an inspection on my 18 GTI SE. Passed with 64k miles. Guy told me front inner pads are low. But the outer pads plenty of meat. Calipers are not functioning right?

Wade_GT

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI S 6M
It’s common for inner pads to wear faster since that’s the side where the piston hits. There is no piston pushing the outer pad toward the rotor.

That said, you might as well remove the front wheels after safely jacking the car up and taking a look. If you don’t have the means to do that, might as well plan for front pad replacement at your favorite mechanic.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Sounds like the guide pins might be stuck.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Single piston brakes are always going to do that. You can flip them side to side if you're really watching your pennies though.

Jonnymk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
Just got rotors and pads done. When mechanic took the pads off. The inner and outer were pretty much evenly worn. Couldn't tell just looking into them with wheels off. Could've gone more. But got them done anyway. Ceramics will last awhile.

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
Replaced the pads on my 18 SE at 35k. Did the rotors also, but the pads were shot.

Jonnymk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
After breaking in new ATE rotors and ATE ceramic pads. Seems it brakes firmer and stronger then OEMs. Would recommend them.