GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17x9 wheels?

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
Hey y'all--

I'd like to put 17" wheels on my '18 SE. To keep the same tire diameter I need 255/40, and that means I need 9" wide wheels, and I want them 22lb or less, and no more than ~$350 ea.

Neuspeed, which is what I'd really like to have, doesn't make any 17x9. Tire Rack doesn't sell any that I can find in a search.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks!
kevin

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
Thanks! They're not bad looking, and they come in silver too, which I prefer. 17x9 isn't a guaranteed fitment on my car, which I guess is why they didn't show up in a search.

Blaqsheep, do you have spacers, and what brakes do you have? My car is stock height, so I probably won't have a tire clearance problem.

Flip, do you have them on your R, or do you know if they'll clear the R brakes?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Do you have the PP? If you do that will limit your wheel choice. On my 18 SE DSG PP I went from the stock 18's to Motegi MR 131 Tracklites 17 X 8 and the tires are 225/45/17 and the diameter is nearly exactly the same. Wheels weigh 17.6 lbs.

I'm debating whether to stay GS or move to STH. Probably stay with 245 to keep tire costs down even if I go to STH.

I can't imagine they don't clear. I've used konig runlites in 17 x 7.5 45mm with 245/40 17's on both a non PP 2018 S and a 2019 Rabbit with no issues at all for autocross.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Thanks! They're not bad looking, and they come in silver too, which I prefer. 17x9 isn't a guaranteed fitment on my car, which I guess is why they didn't show up in a search.

Blaqsheep, do you have spacers, and what brakes do you have? My car is stock height, so I probably won't have a tire clearance problem.

Flip, do you have them on your R, or do you know if they'll clear the R brakes?

I don't have them, just know of them. I'm 99% sure blaqsheep's car is a PP from the pics he posted in his link. You might need to move around wheel weights or something so they don't hit the caliper but I believe they clear.

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
Thanks Jim, I have an SE too, so big brakes. I know that's a possible problem. I don't want to run 225s on an 8" wheel. I'd be OK with 235/45/17, which are the same diameter as 235/40/18, which is what I'd use if I end up sticking with 18" wheels, both 0.2"-0.3" taller than stock. The Traklite looks nice and I sure can't complain about the price! The MR140 looks similar to the Advanti Storm and is also light and reasonably priced. Would you post a picture of yours?

Sean, do you have 17x9 wheels? IF so, PP or R brakes, or standard brakes?

Thanks Jim, I have an SE too, so big brakes. I know that's a possible problem. I don't want to run 225s on an 8" wheel. I'd be OK with 235/45/17, which are the same diameter as 235/40/18, which is what I'd use if I end up sticking with 18" wheels, both 0.2"-0.3" taller than stock. The Traklite looks nice and I sure can't complain about the price! The MR140 looks similar to the Advanti Storm and is also light and reasonably priced. Would you post a picture of yours?

Sean, do you have 17x9 wheels? IF so, PP or R brakes, or standard brakes?
I don't have 17x 9, I have 17 x 7.5 45 konig runlites. The fit both my 2018 S with non PP brakes and my 2019 Rabbit with PP brakes, even with aggressive driving on RE71R'S, so I can't imagine the 17 x 9 doesn't fit. They look like they have even more room than the runlites.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI

No spacers, with the width and +45 offset they are perfect in my opinion. I have the PP brakes and there is quite a bit of room for wheel weights.

bl33dBlue21

Go Kart Newbie
No spacers, with the width and +45 offset they are perfect in my opinion. I have the PP brakes and there is quite a bit of room for wheel weights.

what suspension do you have and how low? I'm on ST coilovers, tried to put 10mm spacers up front on my 18x8 et45 wheels with 235 ps4s and it rubs bad. it rubs where bumper and fender meets.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
what suspension do you have and how low? I'm on ST coilovers, tried to put 10mm spacers up front on my 18x8 et45 wheels with 235 ps4s and it rubs bad. it rubs where bumper and fender meets.

+35 is a bit much in the front, did you remove the fender screw? I’m on Koni Yellow Sport shocks with VWR springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bl33dBlue21

Go Kart Newbie
+35 is a bit much in the front, did you remove the fender screw? I’m on Koni Yellow Sport shocks with VWR springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

end result would be like 9 wide with +35 18x8. yup did fender screw and fender rolll. no issues on top of fender, its hitting where fender and bumper meets. my previous setup was 18x8.5 et45 with 245 ps4s, i had same issue. im guessing either my suspension is too soft or the facelift golfs are a little narrow in that area?

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
end result would be like 9 wide with +35 18x8. yup did fender screw and fender rolll. no issues on top of fender, its hitting where fender and bumper meets. my previous setup was 18x8.5 et45 with 245 ps4s, i had same issue. im guessing either my suspension is too soft or the facelift golfs are a little narrow in that area?

Raise up your suspension a bit or adjust for more camber. Facelift and non-facelift are the same in regards to clearance. My other set of wheels are 17x8.5 +40 in the front with 235/45 tires and I don't rub.