GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17 or 18" winters?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
In the past I've run 17s for winter. I need new tires and the wheels are pretty trashed (lots of flaking finish all over the place) so it's time to replace both.

I've noticed that, at least the last couple years, all the newer performance winters seem to start at 18" (or high aspect ratio in 17). They're available in Europe at more reasonable sizes but either they're not bringing them over yet because of supply chain or they just don't think there's a big enough market here (guessing the latter).

While I like the extra sidewall for winter roads I definitely value having good rubber even in winter (especially tires that do well in dry and wet, not just snow).

So, is it crazy to look at going 18s for winter?

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S DSG PP
I have 18s on the GTI, on stock Austin rims. I'm more interested in wet and ice than deep snow, so I went with the Michelin X Ice XI3 (which was what was available in 2016). Handling is acceptable for a winter tire. Would probably be better with a "Performance Winter / Snow" tire.

The supply chain issues are real, make sure you can get the tires you want before buying wheels. TireRack has 4 Performance Winter / Snow models in stock in 225/40-18.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I run the Continental Viking Contact 7’s in a 225/40/R18 on a 18x8 wheel. For me the tires are great in a mix of ice, slush, snow, dry. Really I don’t think I’d be able to tell in a 17” versus 18”.

0651BDE4-E55E-4F53-8AE2-6296FA808CB9.jpeg

C18D3112-F699-4211-AD40-FD1F938A1BA2.jpeg

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Generally I prefer to drive on vikingcontact 7s in the winter, better for overall safety, control, and wheel durability at the cost of not being a performance tire. Most fun tire I've used in the winter is the pilot sport all season, but sold those off with the car. Compromising with DWS06 this winter but there's tons more oversteer/roll even on a normal profile 18.

If cost and wheel damage isn't as big a concern, can never go wrong with Michelin 18s IMO.

amsr

Ready to race!
If you can get the pilot alpins they are really amazing, at least the PA3 and PA4. I haven’t tried the 5 yet.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Fwiw, I ended up with 18s with Alpin 5s. Decided I wanted to ensure brake clearance I'd I get ST40s or Macan brakes, and 17s that clear big brakes are either wider than I want or too expensive for winters (or both... Although I was very tempted by another set of Apexes!)

PXL_20211203_024923421.MP.jpg