GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17 gti usa top speed

Swoope

Ready to race!
i owned a 15 gti PP. it had a speed limiter at 121 mph.

does the 17 sport and above have a speed limiter?

i really dont want to pay for a tune just to get rid of that.

beers

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I believe it's supposed to be 200 kph (124 mph).

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
If the car isn't tuned it's actually really tough to even get to the limiter because it has a progressive fuel cut.

Getting from 120 to 124 takes a -lot- of room.

Also the speedo is kind of hard to read on the other side of 80 since the numbers are all squished together. Put the center digital display on Speed, you'll find you cannot crest 124 stock.

R is limited to 145 as I recall, it has to do with the speed rating of the stock tires. And since the GTI's stock tires suck balls, well, that's why you get the rather tame limiter.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Seriously, that is all thy give you in the USA? Our GTI and R's are restricted to l55mph in the EU Unless tuned then the restriction is removed on most.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If the car isn't tuned it's actually really tough to even get to the limiter because it has a progressive fuel cut.

Getting from 120 to 124 takes a -lot- of room.

Also the speedo is kind of hard to read on the other side of 80 since the numbers are all squished together. Put the center digital display on Speed, you'll find you cannot crest 124 stock.

R is limited to 145 as I recall, it has to do with the speed rating of the stock tires. And since the GTI's stock tires suck balls, well, that's why you get the rather tame limiter.

R is 155 in the U.S. Do U.S. GTI's come with H-rated tires? They're supposedly good to 130.

I don't remember what my R came with, I think Z but I never looked for a suffix. The MS4S's I have now are Z with a supplementary rating I believe indicates over 160.

My MK5 were H's.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yeah, stock Hankook's are H rated. 130 mph.

I just bought new tires with a W rating, good to 168, not that I can get there (or would...) I read earlier that Z rated means that the tire's speed rating is in "excess" of 149 but not actually specified. Would guess the R comes with Z's.

Last edited:

Juggar

Ready to race!
i owned a 15 gti PP. it had a speed limiter at 121 mph.

does the 17 sport and above have a speed limiter?

i really dont want to pay for a tune just to get rid of that.

beers

You have to tune it no matter what, and once tuned..... always tuned. Thats how it works, even if you found someone willing to only get rid of the top speed limiter, you'd still be in the same boat (warranty wise) as those with actual stage 1/2/3 tunes.

It would not be so bad if they put it at something reasonable, say 140 or so. the 155 in the R is perfect, I think, as most will never go faster than that. And those that would go faster than that would be tuned anyway.

If you think 124 in the GTI is bad, well, I had a 2013 mustang V6 (still 305 HP, tuned to about 315) and it was limited to 113 MPH stock. There was a thing with the V6 driveshafts exploding around 135 MPH...... I had mine (tuned mind you) up to 130 once going downhill and never again.

Last edited: