GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'17 Golf-R oil filter housing and valve separated?

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I did my first oil change on the R this morning and did not realized until after doing my 16' GTI's oil change (second time on the GTI) that the R's oil filter housing did not have the dangling valve stick in the center of the oil filter element.

I didn't even think twice as I completely forgot about my GTI having that stick and just replaced the element and o-ring on the R's oil filter housing and screwed the housing back onto the engine. I drove it around, no issue, no leaks.

I do however, remember seeing the thicker coil spring (red circle below) sticking out of the center of where the oil filter housing attaches to on the engine.

a. Did VW change the housing between the '16 and '17?
b. Did my valve stick thingie break while I was unscrewing it? It made no popping noise or anything. Screwing the housing back in made a spring compressing/friction noise a little bit but did not sound out of the ordinary.

Thanks.

Jack Straw

Ready to race!
I, too, just did my first oil change and my filter housing looks just like the one pictured. I just cleaned it and put it back in the way I found it.
My car is a 2017, production date 08/16

Papag

I did my first oil change on the R this morning and did not realized until after doing my 16' GTI's oil change (second time on the GTI) that the R's oil filter housing did not have the dangling valve stick in the center of the oil filter element.

I didn't even think twice as I completely forgot about my GTI having that stick and just replaced the element and o-ring on the R's oil filter housing and screwed the housing back onto the engine. I drove it around, no issue, no leaks.

I do however, remember seeing the thicker coil spring (red circle below) sticking out of the center of where the oil filter housing attaches to on the engine.

a. Did VW change the housing between the '16 and '17?
b. Did my valve stick thingie break while I was unscrewing it? It made no popping noise or anything. Screwing the housing back in made a spring compressing/friction noise a little bit but did not sound out of the ordinary.

Thanks.

I changed my '17 gti oil yesterday and the stick thing remained in the engine bay when I removed the housing too. You can pull it out and stick it back in the filer housing, but mine didn't stay put, so I reinserted it into engine bay before reinstalling the housing. I think you are fine.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Papag- Thanks for the reply. I'm starting to feel a lot better now.

The housing and valve stick thingie only costs like $30, so I bought a new set to keep as back up just in case I lose a part or something. I took the R for a nice drive this morning and checked the filter housing after the drive for any leaks. No issue.