GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17" & 18" Rims on GTI/R

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Just curious if anyone has this or has considered this.

I know of many RWD cars with this setup (front rims are smaller than the rear) for traction purposes.

Wondering if it will benefit us FWDrivers since there is less rotational mass at the drive wheels.

Along these lines, I'm thinking Fast Wheels FC04 rims:
Front: 17x8 +45 with 235/40/17 - 16lbs
Rear: 18x8 +40 with 235/40/18 - 18lbs

I personally like a positive rake to a car, so that 1" height difference doesn't bother me.

Thoughts would be great!

Last edited:

Arac

Ready to race!
I don't know what that would do to handling and aerodynamics at higher speed. Not to mention likely issues with ESC - front and rear tires would be turning at different speed - and the AWD on the R.

Seems like trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist and the "solution" could actually create issues.

Swoope

Ready to race!
will totally screw with your abs and esc.. if you really want to do what you talk about you would want to run a 235 45 17 in the front.. you also might look at tire weight as you do this..

the best way would be 17s all the way around, just for weight savings alone. but you lose some turn in quickness due to the taller sidewall on the 17s is you are doing track events.

beers

Just curious if anyone has this or has considered this.

I know of many RWD cars with this setup (front rims are smaller than the rear) for traction purposes.

Wondering if it will benefit us FWDrivers since there is less rotational mass at the drive wheels.

Along these lines, I'm thinking Fast Wheels FC04 rims:
Front: 17x8 +45 with 235/40/17 - 16lbs
Rear: 18x8 +40 with 235/40/18 - 18lbs
Carlos, it doesn't matter that much if the rotating masses are on front or rear.
Any rotational mass slows the car on acceleration.
The only diffrence is, that heavy front wheels affect steering and turn in too.
Run lightweigt 17" wheels on all 4 corners, if it bothers you.
Anyways, different (effective/outer) diameters will affect ABS and ESC. :eek:

Btw, 235/45 R17 preferably.