GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'16 R or '19 GTI SE experience pack? same price

Jaboogedah

Hey guys, tough decision here. Another R vs. GTI thread. Yes, theyre both great cars...but I would be completely happy with either. The GTI is new, has a 6 yr/72k warranty, and is in beautiful dark Iron Blue SE, 6MT experience pack(DCC, fender audio). The only thing it's missing is AWD and ACC. It's coming out from $34,099 sticker to $29,900 out the door, dealer promised 6 months deferred multiple times only to tell me I didn't get it as I sat down to sign the paperwork, so I wouldn't mind leaving it but its beautiful and new and looks like it's calling me.

The blue R 6MT, on the other hand, is missing the warranty as its a '16, but only has 27k miles and looks equally as beautiful and beckoning. It's missing a damn sunroof and the new 8" display. I'm from MA and AWD would be fun for the winter and for going fast, but I also don't mind snows on a GTI...used to have an '11.

I know either car I'll get I'll love and eventually plan to mod/track, but which do you all believe would be the smarter purchase? The R has resale, the GTI has warranty and is brand new. I would know how it was broken in, how it's been driven its whole life vs the unknown R. Realistically, I'm looking for fun over fast, but I'll take fast and fun with those AWD launches and snow drifts. Tough decision, all input would be appreciated. I will be taking out a 72 month loan to pay for it and will be doubling up on payments, but my interest will be 5% so I want to be smart about the vehicle I get and keep it for a while too....Thanks for all the help!

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Why did they deny the 0%/6-month deferral deal?? Probably because they get a smaller spif from VW finance for that deal. Funkdat. Tell em you're gonna buy a different car if they won't do the deal as already negotiated, including the finance deal.

Or.. just get the R. If I'm in MA, I'd take an R over a GTI 100% of the time. You can add the 8" matte screen quite easily and it's not a huge expense - I did it to my '16 - well worth it IMHO. Good luck.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
how much is the R?

It would be easy to add the 8" glass screen to the R also as the piano black trim would already match. So that's an easy fix.

For me it would come down to if you want to mod the car or not. If so, get the R and have some fun with it. If not, go for the GTI so you can keep the warranty in tact, great value there. Definitely try and get the 0% though.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
There are N number of GTI vs R threads. Final result depends on how long you are planning to keep your vehicle.

For the same price, i would pick a brand new vehicle (GTI) and keep it for a while. I dont prefer buying a used GTI / R unless otherwise i can see the owner maintaining it meticulously. GTI is easy to throw around and more fun as well.

You are planning to mod your vehicle (assuming ECU / TCU tune) which would void the warranty. So R might be better option for you.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
If you plan on modding get the R. But make sure that thing is good to go being 4 years old. And I'd still try to wiggle that price down, I've seen 2017 Rs a bit cheaper than that, in my area at least.

Not too difficult to upgrade the infotainment, even can add the virtual display/tach if you want.

Seems like a decent deal on the GTI but screw them if they reneged on the financing deal and deferred payments. WALK IF THE REFUSE TO HONOR THE ORIGINAL DEAL. I'd shop around some more.

What's your long-term plan for the car?

Jaboogedah

So, the R is supposedly the "best" deal within 200 miles...and it looks super clean, but I also believe I'd get bumped up from my Credit union's financing....Today I applied at Saint Mary's CU, and got 3.75% for 72 months for 30k...but with the R being older it would probably get bumped up to 4.5%....I also sent the dealer an email, with my final offer...
I told them 29,900 out the door, they offered a $1000 check back on top, as well as swapping those boring Austins for a set of Black 18" Pretorias and they took it!!! That means I'm getting close to $7000 off at least, plus the rim swap.

I do plan on modding the car but also would prefer to keep it for a long time...Figure I'd start out with a JB4 on either car until warranty runs out, even thought about getting APR+ and then stacking a JB4 for stage 2 benefits with warranty... R has 1 year, GTI has 6. I think I'm gonna roll on the GTI...Hopefully I won't regret it.
I just figure as soon as I develop traction, the GTI will be a little more fun on the road and it's nice to know how it's been treated...I still am kind of dreaming of that R though. Both of them are manual so no launch control on the R anyways...My last GTI was DSG, when I got in the GTI 6MT it just felt like it was meant to be there.

So, I'm gonna give the stealership one more chance. I'll go see what happens, if they fail I'll go to the R and tell them a price on the spot and see what happens. Hopefully I'm making a good decision, but I'm gonna love either of these cars. Thanks for the tips, let me know what you think of that deal!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would get the GTI. And welcome to the forum also. From what you've said you've been doing your homework on modding.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
how much is the R?

This. Still haven't seen how much this super great deal of an R is?

Seems like you're leaning GTI though.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
Seems like the GTI is the best route, at least it seems like they're dealing, hope they come through for ya. 30k for 16' R w/ 1 year warranty seems steep to me, but it's all about where you live.

GTI will still be a ton of fun stage 1 (ish) ... Like you said jb4 and/or apr+, and throw a rear sway bar in there and you're in for a good time.

R = more power + traction, better gearing... but not as easy to throw around as a the GTI

Can't lose either way.

Jaboogedah

The R is $26,999 so probably right around 29 out the door....It’s the super nice Lapiz Blue, there are a bunch of black cars for $23-25k with similar miles. My last GTI was white though and blue is my favorite color. Even though it’s 4 years old, with the 27k miles it seems like a good deal. But so does the GTI.
Yeah, I’ve been looking up mods for my non-existent GTI for years..always knowing some day I’d get another. I loved my old one so much I spread the bug to my best friend! He went from loving his Camry/not giving a crap about cars to owning a GLI and catching the mod bug!
Either way, I’m excited. I’m gonna go see what the dealer will do today and make sure they don’t change the offer again on me. As long as they give me what they promised I’ll take it and I’ll be posting pics shortly! Appreciate all the comments and help and look forward to getting to know everybody!

Jaboogedah

Have you read about stalling issue with 2019 GTI MTs. Just wanna make sure that you are aware of the issue.
Funny thing..I looked and saw that the error was fixed and there was a TSB...but it’s happened a couple times :/

got it for $31k with everything included plus the “rim and tire warranty”(From MA and the guy said I could replace with ANY like diameter tire...Pilot PS4s’s for life at $900? and protection for my sexy Pretoria’s? Sign me up! Gotta check the fine print though.

it’s great, I only have had it stall once after the first day in which it stalled probably 10 times @ 150mi. Gonna hope it doesn’t keep happening but if it does I’ll take it in and either make em fix it or get the lemon process rolling. Already did K@N filter, intake mods, and resonator delete...I’m in love! My girlfriend will always be my first woman...little does she know women come second to my GTI.

Attachments

• 0BE56CAD-6654-45BD-8CC2-A183C6E8B179.jpeg
    0BE56CAD-6654-45BD-8CC2-A183C6E8B179.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 162

Lcavalletti

Passed Driver's Ed
Get the R take it from me who just traded my 2017 gti sport in on the R. I didn’t get squat for it and I couldn’t sell it private sale for the life of me. Git’s are practically worthless used pp sale. Having a R you have something of value to someone