GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

16 Autobahn Battery Replacement

hooville

Go Kart Newbie
The stock battery in my '16 GTI is 3.5 years old here in Atlanta, never garaged so it's exposed the elements year 'round. I"ll probably move to a group 48 when it gives up, the TDI will definitely get upgraded to to the larger battery when it's time comes.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
My 2015 battery lasted for 3.5 years. Finally died once I moved to the Oven State (Arizona). I got a bigger replacement and coding took 2 mins.

When I lived in Chandler, I'd get 1-2 years out of my VW batteries, and 4-5 out of my BMW batteries, presumably because they're all trunk-mounted and away from engine heat.

The thing to do in metro Phoenix is get a replacement that has a full replacement warranty for 3-4 years, with no proration. My GF got several free replacements in her TDI this way. Metro Phoenix is where car batteries go to DIE!

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
It will work but the car is going to be overcharging the battery.

I just changed my battery with basically a like for like from Advance Auto, and changed the serial code as per forum wisdom as it only takes 2 minutes with obd11. Wholly unconvinced it does anything at all though on a non stop/start car withoit the terminal module...charging systems have been self regulating for aons, I don't believe after all this time and tech advances cars now need telling a new battery is in place.

Maybe if your battery size is bigger, or you change type to AGM I guess.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
OP FYI, stop/start was first available in GTIs in 18. DSG only.

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
Well the battery I put in back in 2019 died already. It looks like it's leaking, I never got it coded. I wonder if it was overcharging itself and died a premature death? I'm going to put a new one in, can you do the coding with OBDeleven?

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Well the battery I put in back in 2019 died already. It looks like it's leaking, I never got it coded. I wonder if it was overcharging itself and died a premature death? I'm going to put a new one in, can you do the coding with OBDeleven?
Really should get it coded. When I replaced mine with a 48 AGM from O’Rileys the “old” coding was for a BCM battery.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
Did some more reading and seeing that unless you have start/stop functionality you don't need to re-code.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Did some more reading and seeing that unless you have start/stop functionality you don't need to re-code.
Well you might want to check what your battery is currently coded to ensure you have the correct code for your current battery. I "think" my battery from the dealership was a BCM; when I put in the new battery I bought a AGM, and only found out the coding because I went to change it. Just sayin.

Screenshot 2021-10-26 195029.png
Give StealthGTI's youtube a like not me! 🤣

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
Check to see whether there's a battery control module on the negative terminal.

There is not, it's just a normal negative cable.

The current battery adaptation is "Wet" and manufacturer is "JCB" the capacity is "60AH". The battery i have in there and that I replaced is an Interstate 70AH AGM (Fleece). Do I need to buy the Pro subscription to change it or does it not matter?