GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

16 Autobahn Battery Replacement

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
The battery on my 16 Autobahn GTI died. I did some searching on the forum and saw some mixed messages on the replacement process.

I don't believe I have the auto engine start/stop since it's a US car. I couldn't quite tell which size battery is the best compromise between direct drop in without any other coding etc.

Can someone tell me what size/group battery I need for an easy swap? Thanks!

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I moved up to a Group 48 AGM replacement in mine, which is slightly larger than stock but fits the tray just fine, but requires a larger battery cover, if you want to retain it - which I think is a good idea.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You've driven the car for over two years and you don't know if you have auto stop/start? I don't know if they had auto stop/start in the 16 models but they definitely have it in cars in the US.

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
I just bought the car 1 month ago and it’s my wife’s daily beater

IVDUB1

I Went with an H6-AGM Duralast Platinum. Its a little bigger than the stock one but still fits. I Also did the coding with my OBD11 to tell the car it's a new Battery. I was surprised that the Duralast Autozone battery is actually made in Germany.

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
I Went with an H6-AGM Duralast Platinum. Its a little bigger than the stock one but still fits. I Also did the coding with my OBD11 to tell the car it's a new Battery. I was surprised that the Duralast Autozone battery is actually made in Germany.

Is the coding just due to the increased size or do you have to do that with any new battery?

IVDUB1

Is the coding just due to the increased size or do you have to do that with any new battery?

The car adjusts its charging pattern according to battery health. It's going to send more power to an older battery to keep the charge. A new Battery doesn't need as much of a charge. There for the car will overcharge a new battery decreasing its life if the car is not told its a new battery.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
The car adjusts its charging pattern according to battery health. It's going to send more power to an older battery to keep the charge. A new Battery doesn't need as much of a charge. There for the car will overcharge a new battery decreasing its life if the car is not told its a new battery.
Jumping in: does the coding requirement apply to OEM replacements as well? I'll be getting an OEM 72 Ah replacement for my 60 Ah currently installed.

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
Is the coding something that has to be done right away? I’m putting a group 48/h6 but don’t have a cable or obdeleven yet

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
one would think that a car that required battery programing would at least have a battery that lasted for more than the 3-4 yrs that I've been seeing folks replace their batteries at.

Mrs Muds CRV made 8/9 yrs
My Taco made it 11/12 yrs!