GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

15k/1Year Service

mrtn

Ready to race!
Just trying to get a feel for what Im in for and there is a lot on conflicting info on here about the 2010 GTI first service.

Im coming up to my 1yr service, I called my dealer and they told me it was going to be $164.95 plus HST. Does sound right? its a 3 door DSG

They said they change the oil and do the other VW recommended services listed in service interval outline. I cant seem to find this outline and the service advisor didnt have much to say other that 'they do all kinds of stuff' and to check my manual for everything that is done.

sawyer4340

Ready to race!
That's seems pretty pricey. This is what happened in my first year of ownership regarding oil changes/servicing.

When I picked up my car, they provided me with a coupon for a free intermittent oil change at 10K cus they said the typical "Canadian weather is harsh on your car". So I ended up bringing it in at 12K. They then told me to bring it back at 18K for my first "official" oil change as per the manual. I had this done last friday and it cost $99 with taxes included.

I'm going to guess that either your dealer is very diligent and goes the extra mile for service or you're getting hosed for a few more $$. Either that or my dealer didn't do everything they should have LOL.

McQueen77

Banned
you guys don't get 3 year free maintenance/services for free in Canada?

wbean

attention whore
For the first 3 service it's all oil changes and "inspection"

I would say do it yourself for an oil change. The TSI engine is SO easy to do that it's ridiculous to pay someone for it. Buy some good oil for $50, buy a filter wrench for $10, buy a new filter for $7-15 depending on oem or mann branded.

Takes 20-30 mins to do.

1) unscerw the oil cap
2) crawl under car, unscrew the oil drain plug
3) let drain completely.
4) remove oem filter w/ wrench
5) plug the lower drain plug back when its empty
6) put new filter on
7) pour oil in 4 liters first. Turn on car for 5 mins, let the oil run through
8) top off and put cap on.

That's what the dealer charges you for $160 OP. Just that.

zee

Go Kart Champion
Just trying to get a feel for what Im in for and there is a lot on conflicting info on here about the 2010 GTI first service.

Im coming up to my 1yr service, I called my dealer and they told me it was going to be $164.95 plus HST. Does sound right? its a 3 door DSG

They said they change the oil and do the other VW recommended services listed in service interval outline. I cant seem to find this outline and the service advisor didnt have much to say other that 'they do all kinds of stuff' and to check my manual for everything that is done.

Oil change only is about $69-79 + HST.

The 15k service includes other checks like air filter, pollen filter, brakes, tire rotation e.t.c. You can ask the dealer to skip all the random checks and tire rotation to save cash. I'll get a full list from the maintenance booket later.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
Mine was around $150 for my 2.5. I knew I could get it done cheaper, but I figured I'll get the maintenance done at the dealer while it is under warranty. Also, with 15k intervals between changes, its not really that much money. I just got my 30k service done which included changing the cabin air filter and a bunch of other checks for $209 with taxes included.

DexterMorgan

Passed Driver's Ed
Is the 15K/1year really all that the recommend for your first year in owning the car? I've still gotta dive into my manual...

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion

They said they change the oil and do the other VW recommended services listed in service interval outline
. I cant seem to find this outline and the service advisor didnt have much to say other that 'they do all kinds of stuff' and to check my manual for everything that is done.

The oil change cost me just a hair of $100 after taxes. The "VW recommended services" is, like others have said, just random checks of filters and stuff. Nothing seemed too major.

mrtn

Ready to race!
Just found this site

http://www.volkswagendowntowntoronto.ca/en/service/maintenance/index.spy

for 15k service

Service 1

AdBlue Fluid: Check fluid level (add if necessary).
Airbag system: Perform visual inspection (Every year regardless of kilometers).
Brake pads: Check brake pad thickness.
Brake fluid: Change fluid (Touareg, Eos, Passat, Jetta models, GTI, Golf, Tiguan, and Passat CC and 135,000Km only).
Engine: Change oil and replace oil filter.
Rear Window: check cleaning nozzle functionality (if applicable).
Service Interval Display: Reset (if applicable).
Service sticker: Enter the date of the next service on the service sticker and apply to the driver's side door pillar.
Tires: Rotate front and rear.
Windshield washer, headlight cleaning system, and wiper blade: check for damage and function, Check fluid level and add if necessary.

So this pretty much is just an expensive oil change? The brake fluid change is confusing, not sure if its at the first or at 135k

My GTI has just over 8000km on it now but it will be 1 year in April, Everything I read says you should wait until 15k to let the break in oil do its thing, but then I read or 1 year, whatever comes first...

Last edited:

mrtn

Ready to race!
Just called another dealer in my area for a quote on the first service, got $220 plus tax! suddenly $164 doesnt seem as bad.

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
Mine was $155.00. Yeah! Over $200.00 is way too much!

fredf

Go Kart Champion
It is an oil change, which should be under $100 and tire rotation, which should be about $20 to $30. While changing the tires they 'inspect' the brakes. That and the fluid checks should take about 5 minutes in total.

I would say the 15,000km service should be under $130 plus taxes...even at dealership rates.

Over that and you should question what they are doing.

Last edited:

mrtn

Ready to race!
I asked on the phone but the guy didnt seem to know much. I will ask when I take it in. I dont even need a tire rotation becasue I have snows on right now and they will be coming off when the weather gets a bit better.

Black Pearl

Passed Driver's Ed
It is an oil change, which should be under $100 and tire rotation, which should be about $20 to $30. Which changing the tires they 'inspect' the brakes. That and the fluid checks should take about 5 minutes in total.

I would say the 15,000km service should be under $130 plus taxes...even at dealership rates.

Over that and you should question what they are doing.

Just quoted by my dealer that 15K service will cost me $133 plus HST...