GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'15 GTI 80k, stock, babied since new - engine locked up :(

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I'm in New York and the car was up at a dealer in Massachusetts near where it broke down. My dealer here said keep the car up there since they have it and are already diagnosing it (service manager down here sounded like a real winner). Now that the car is home, I can try other dealers here on Long Island, but VW told me the goodwill process would have to start all over again.
Well if you have the time and the will, you have your uncles receipts to backup a more definitive and fair request. Just ask for his pricing plus your documentation of the goodwill already offered. Those receipts plus their already agreed willingness to extend 7K in goodwill should make for a compelling case for you to get things done at an even better price.

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
Well if you have the time and the will, you have your uncles receipts to backup a more definitive and fair request. Just ask for his pricing plus your documentation of the goodwill already offered. Those receipts plus their already agreed willingness to extend 7K in goodwill should make for a compelling case for you to get things done at an even better price.
I was thinking of trying that.

VW may come back and say it would be 40% of the lower price. But if I can get them to stick with the $7000 they committed, and have a dealt match the $11.9k price my uncle got without any goodwill..then I'm looking at $4900 for a new motor. Even though I bought a new car already, that would be worth it ... Either to keep the car around or to then sell. I will ask if VW would go for that.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I was thinking of trying that.

VW may come back and say it would be 40% of the lower price. But if I can get them to stick with the $7000 they committed, and have a dealt match the $11.9k price my uncle got without any goodwill..then I'm looking at $4900 for a new motor. Even though I bought a new car already, that would be worth it ... Either to keep the car around or to then sell. I will ask if VW would go for that.
Good luck, and thanks for sharing your journey through the issue, Please post the outcome as well. Someday it will certainly help another unfortunate forum member.

turbovw1

Go Kart Newbie
If the fuel pump thing is related, could cylinder #1 be over pressurized and thus he can't spin the engine via the crankshaft bolt and a wrench? The other 3 plugs are out and motor still can't be turned. I wonder if crazy pressure is what is making it hard to back that #1 plug out as well. He was able to break the plug loose and turn it a bit and then it got really hard to turn, at which point the tech got scared and didn't want to force it until he spoke with foreman.
This is what I’m thinking as well. My car had injectors 1 and 2 fail on my MPI and dumped fuel into the cylinders. This caused my car to hydrolock.

I removed the fuel pump fuse and spark plugs before cranking the car. This pumped the gas out of the cylinders and now I just need to replace the fuel injectors.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
This is what I’m thinking as well. My car had injectors 1 and 2 fail on my MPI and dumped fuel into the cylinders. This caused my car to hydrolock.

I removed the fuel pump fuse and spark plugs before cranking the car. This pumped the gas out of the cylinders and now I just need to replace the fuel injectors.
Well you dodged a big one. Hydro locking can break rods etc.

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
Good luck, and thanks for sharing your journey through the issue, Please post the outcome as well. Someday it will certainly help another unfortunate forum member.
VW said the goodwill is determined by each dealer, so I'd need to find a other dealer and see what goodwill they would offer and what their price would be as well.

Throughout this whole thing, they (VW and the dealer) have been incredibly shady about where the goodwill $$ actually comes from. They each point fingers at each other. When it is convenient to say the money comes from and is at the discretion of the specific dealer, that's what they say. When it's convenient to imply that it is a VW decision, that is what they imply.

So I emailed them back, calling them out on this shadiness and asked where exactly the goodwill $$ comes from.

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
What do you guys think a really clean, unmodified 15 GTI manual in red that needs a motor is worth? Trying to decide how to price it...don't want to go too low. If I go too high and it sits that will be obvious.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
$4k - $5k.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Sorry your car had this conclusion, friend.

You probably covered it in one of the previous pages, but who makes your MPI kit? And do we have any idea what would’ve caused the injectors to fail?

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
Sorry your car had this conclusion, friend.

You probably covered it in one of the previous pages, but who makes your MPI kit? And do we have any idea what would’ve caused the injectors to fail?
Maybe you're thinking of someone else? The car was totally stock...and the injectors didn't fail as far as we can tell. Engine just imploded.

Maybe if I modified it, it would have died during warranty!

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Maybe you're thinking of someone else? The car was totally stock...and the injectors didn't fail as far as we can tell. Engine just imploded.

Maybe if I modified it, it would have died during warranty!
I apologize, I read through the first three pages or so of posts, and I saw someone mentioned an MPI rail and two failed injectors. Must’ve been a different person.