GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

15 golf r cutting power

Zmarsh64

Car(s)
2015 mk7 golf r
I recently picked up a 15 Golf r with a dsg. The car is stage 2 according to the previous owner. It’s got a unitronic downpipe, racing line intake, and stage 2 tune. I’ve been having this issue where when I am accelerating on the highway, usually in 4th or 5th gear around 80+mph the car just cuts all power. The car still down shifts when I’m pulling over, but once I come to a stop the car just shakes untill I shut it off. I turn the car back on and it’s like nothing happened. I took it to the dealership to see if they could find the issue, all they said is that I could be a problem with the tune. Any help is greatly appreciated

Zmarsh64

Car(s)
2015 mk7 golf r
I’m also getting an EPB fault when switching from reverse to drive some times, dealer also said there was nothing wrong with the parking break and could be an issue with the tune. Do I just have them reset the ecu to factory and get a new tune?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I recently picked up a 15 Golf r with a dsg. The car is stage 2 according to the previous owner. It’s got a unitronic downpipe, racing line intake, and stage 2 tune. I’ve been having this issue where when I am accelerating on the highway, usually in 4th or 5th gear around 80+mph the car just cuts all power. The car still down shifts when I’m pulling over, but once I come to a stop the car just shakes untill I shut it off. I turn the car back on and it’s like nothing happened. I took it to the dealership to see if they could find the issue, all they said is that I could be a problem with the tune. Any help is greatly appreciated
Sounds like it's going into "limp" mode.

Zmarsh64

Car(s)
2015 mk7 golf r
Limp mode can be complicated to diagnose because there's so many potential reasons.

https://mechanicbase.com/engine/epc-light/
I had the dealer look at it when this first happened and if I remember correctly they adjusted the camshaft actuators.

So far I’ve only gotten it to go into “limp” mode while in S driving and when accelerating with wide open throttle above 5k rpm and above 80mph.

I know the car doesn’t have a dsg tune, just the ecu stage 2 tune. Maybe that’s part of the problem but who knows

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I had the dealer look at it when this first happened and if I remember correctly they adjusted the camshaft actuators.

So far I’ve only gotten it to go into “limp” mode while in S driving and when accelerating with wide open throttle above 5k rpm and above 80mph.

I know the car doesn’t have a dsg tune, just the ecu stage 2 tune. Maybe that’s part of the problem but who knows
That it doesn't have a DSG tune is irrelevant. I would get the wastegate voltage checked with the engine off and the key on. The voltage should be 3.5-3.6v

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Step 1 - you need to scan the car for the codes.
Step 2 - not sure until you do Step 1.

Seriously...no way to diagnose this stuff online wihtout the codes. Limp mode/EPC can be from a number of things. Uni tunes are fuel-senstive and excessive timing retardation from poor-quality fuel can cause it. Spark plugs. Turbo waste gate issues. The list goes on.