GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

12V Cigarette lighter socket removal from center console

sabo

Ready to race!
well, I ended up figuring how to take out the center console. but don't believe it can be removed from above. I'm still waiting for some parts before I fully remove center console and wire into the socket...I've only figured how to remove the trim sections but didn't go all the way....I will post pics when I do so

I'm wiring up both a dash cam to the socket and cup holder ambient lights and a garage button in the blank buttons...I working up a harness so it's plug and play. got about 90% of the parts ....should have the rest soon

Last edited:

rickgram

Passed Driver's Ed
Just curious what you were planning to use to tap power from the lighter socket. Planning on hardwiring a dashcam charger in to be used with a mobile hotspot. Would like to do this without cutting any wires or anything like that.

sabo

Ready to race!
Just curious what you were planning to use to tap power from the lighter socket. Planning on hardwiring a dashcam charger in to be used with a mobile hotspot. Would like to do this without cutting any wires or anything like that.

I tapped the trunk socket on my rear dashcam post and install (I have a picture tutorial, but I failed to take pictures of the splice part (I was eating lunch while I was doing it and forgot....ugg). It was technically a splice, but I just wrapped the bare lead and small soldered to the back end of the existing terminal pin, but I did not cut into the existing wire at all. I could still reinstall the two wires in the housing without interference. That's what I intend to do for this one. Check on my other post. I may do the front dashcam hardwire this weekend and will make sure to post pics.

rickgram

Passed Driver's Ed
I tapped the trunk socket on my rear dashcam post and install (I have a picture tutorial, but I failed to take pictures of the splice part (I was eating lunch while I was doing it and forgot....ugg). It was technically a splice, but I just wrapped the bare lead and small soldered to the back end of the existing terminal pin, but I did not cut into the existing wire at all. I could still reinstall the two wires in the housing without interference. That's what I intend to do for this one. Check on my other post. I may do the front dashcam hardwire this weekend and will make sure to post pics.

Great idea! I'm thinking of doing something like that, or maybe even just tapping with a fuse tap. I don't think it really matters where the WiFi hotspot ends up, but I'd like it to be in the glove box, just in case I ever need access to it.

rickgram

Passed Driver's Ed
yeah...fuse tap would be easiest but I'm a bit ocd and I like to have my mods not look like mods at all...even if it's a bit more work...just how I roll.
Completely agree. The more it looks like it could have come from the factory the better.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

sixspeedz

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone know if you can actually remove the lighter?

I had to replace my console (dealer damaged it, and i preferred to replace it myself when they gave me the part) and I have it all done except the lighter...:mad:

Prob putting it back together without the 12v until I can talk to someone in parts on Monday.

-Stinger-

Looks to me like you need to have used it to know how to use it.

Not at all. When you just look at the socket and different pictures of this tool you can figure it out in 2 min. But it also comes with instructions.
I bought it and it's very easy to use.

Place over socket with correct orientation, push in, (the two sides expands and push in on the two small tabs inside the socket) pull the socket straight up. Takes 5 seconds. Then there's a special technique to making the tool release the socket that also takes 5-10 seconds. Basically it's like a corkscrew for 12V sockets. Very easy to use - but without it the sockets are extremely tight.

Try googling pictures of VW T40148. There are even forum posts with pictorial guides.

Last edited: