GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1016 Mk 7 Stock Head U Amp Location

ajmanmk7

I am (probably) going to get an AudioControl unit that that changes the output of my stock head unit’s speaker level outputs to line level (RCA) outputs. I have to tap into the speaker level outputs AFTER the stock amplifier (not pre-amp). (I haven’t pulled the head unit out yet).

So my question is: Is the stock amp internal with the head unit, or is it a separate component?

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Do you have the Fender version of the stereo? Stock "amp" on non-Fender units is in the glove box. The Fender amp/DSP is located under the drivers seat. The HU in the dash is just a display.

Here is what I did with my stock, non-Fender stereo.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
The head unit (HU) located in the glove box is the same for both non-Fender and Fender. The difference is the coding of the HU units are different, Fender units do not use the speaker outputs connector and a MOST (fiber optic) is connected from HU to amplifier which is under the drivers seat. There are threads on taking your Fender unit and essentially turning it into a standard unit so speaker outputs can drive your own external amplifiers. In this thread it should show you the pins out of the back that are speaker outputs and coding if you have Fender unit. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/recoding-the-radio-to-eliminate-fender-amp.341803/
I took my Fender, recoded like standard unit, used speaker output to go to digital signal processor and then 5 channel amplifer to crossover and speakers.

Last edited:

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
The head unit (HU) located in the glove box is the same for both non-Fender and Fender. The difference is the coding of the HU units are different, Fender units do not use the speaker outputs connector and a MOST (fiber optic) is connected from HU to amplifier which is under the drivers seat. There are threads on taking your Fender unit and essentially turning it into a standard unit so speaker outputs can drive your own external amplifiers. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/recoding-the-radio-to-eliminate-fender-amp.341803/

I took my Fender, recoded like standard unit, used speaker output to go to digital signal processor and then 5 channel amplifer to crossover and speakers.
What components and DSP did you add in?

ajmanmk7

Do you have the Fender version of the stereo? Stock "amp" on non-Fender units is in the glove box. The Fender amp/DSP is located under the drivers seat. The HU in the dash is just a display.

Thanks for all the info, including where to go thru the firewall, which I was wondering about. I have the non-Fender unit. I’m doing suspension right now but sound system is next on the list.

ajmanmk7

The head unit (HU) located in the glove box is the same for both non-Fender and Fender. The difference is the coding of the HU units are different, Fender units do not use the speaker outputs connector and a MOST (fiber optic) is connected from HU to amplifier which is under the drivers seat. There are threads on taking your Fender unit and essentially turning it into a standard unit so speaker outputs can drive your own external amplifiers. In this thread it should show you the pins out of the back that are speaker outputs and coding if you have Fender unit. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/recoding-the-radio-to-eliminate-fender-amp.341803/
Thanks George. It’s non-Fender and will take me a while to wade thru all this...!

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Im going to sell an audison bit ten d with remote very soon. I think i was able to output a clean 3.8v from the stock radio through the bit. I upgraded to a audiocontrol dm 810 the other day. While i liked the bit, i wanted more outs and higher voltage (10v). The audiocontrol is certainly more cumbersome with setup but has a cool input rta to eval the signal. Im not a fan of their accubass so i dont use it. Im working on finding the right stock unit levels to give the flattest response at whatever level i find fit to process. It varies with volume. Sub frequency levels do not rise the same rate as 1khz. Send me a pm if you're interested and we'll figure a fair price.

quality_sound

hmm.......
Car(s)
'21 GTI S DSG

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Im sure George's system sounds gorgeous but the wire management and install is likely equally impressive.

Im sitting on a bird's nest under a false floor sub. Fiberglassed a box into the spare tire with the sub exposed up to the boot.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Addison Bit 10 with remote, Alpine MRV-V500 amplifier, Focal 165AS speakers front and back, made my subwoofer from a thread on this forum. A lot of work running wires, sound deadening, etc., but I am pleased with the results.
Damn I'll bet that sounds phenomenal.