GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

10,000 mile oil service cost.

KGB1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

For the past week our car has been showing a request for an oil change being due so today I phoned the local dealer for a price to do this.

They phoned back an hour later to inform me that it would cost me £179.00 :eek:

Is this what everyone else is paying? This is my first vw in a long time and the vw experience has surprised me a number of times in the 7 months I've had the car but it feels as though i'm being bent over on this! What is a major service going to cost if an oil and filter change costs £179.00??

Thanks.

KGB1

Passed Driver's Ed
Avanti, thanks for the reply, I honestly thought £100 would cover an oil change, I can get the oil from TPS for little more than £30, add a filter and a sump plug and the rest for time. The car will only have done just over 9000 miles when its due. I expected a vw to be cheaper to run than my last few cars, clearly I should have done my homework better!

Sandman, I'm not aware of such a plan here in UK, I wish there was one though.

DAS_STIG

Banned
1st oil change not covered under your 1 year maintenance plan?
I thought at least one was covered.

this. it's a US plan where they cover the first service for "free."

Miguel1

Ready to race!
I talked to my service manager and just an oil change costs 69$. That doesn't even include all the other stuff that gets maintained at the first maintenance. I'm definitely going to be going to an independent mechanic and only doing my first maintenance at the dealer.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Avanti, thanks for the reply, I honestly thought £100 would cover an oil change, I can get the oil from TPS for little more than £30, add a filter and a sump plug and the rest for time. The car will only have done just over 9000 miles when its due. I expected a vw to be cheaper to run than my last few cars, clearly I should have done my homework better!

Probably it would, however the dealerships often are charging £100/hr labour.
The next trick they do is charge for each individual litre of oil, where as we know we can get a 4 litre bottle for little more.
After the warranty period then you can chance a service elsewhere or yourself.
(you can already the warranty apparently is not affected if OEM parts are used).

DAS_STIG

Banned
I talked to my service manager and just an oil change costs 69$. That doesn't even include all the other stuff that gets maintained at the first maintenance. I'm definitely going to be going to an independent mechanic and only doing my first maintenance at the dealer.

learn to do it yourself. most of it is pretty easy, but you may have to purchase a few specialized tools to start off.

Miguel1

Ready to race!
who told you this? and you have a lifetime powertrain warranty?
My service manager and yes. I have this thing that's a limited power train lifetime warranty as long as I perform the maintenance at an ASE certified mechanic.

As for the warranty, it's called forever warranty.

I meant to say ASE not SAE, sorry about that.

DAS_STIG

Banned
My service manager and yes. I have this thing that's a limited power train lifetime warranty as long as I perform the maintenance at an ASE certified mechanic.

As for the warranty, it's called forever warranty.

I meant to say ASE not SAE, sorry about that.

wow, never heard of the lifetime powertrain warranty. is it through VW or outside service? guess it's kinda cool especially considering it's a VW lol.

Miguel1

Ready to race!
wow, never heard of the lifetime powertrain warranty. is it through VW or outside service? guess it's kinda cool especially considering it's a VW lol.

It's through an outside service but all repairs are handled through VW. I searched it and a couple of dealerships are part of this program, not just in Texas or Houston. They're all over.

KGB1

Passed Driver's Ed
I service my other vehicles myself, my big concern with the Golf is having had as many issue's with the car in the first 7 months that servicing it myself or at my preferred garage will create a bigger headache when/if something else falls off or stops working giving them an excuse not to repair it.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion

I buy Mobile 1 0-40 euro formula at Walmart, $11 filter at the dealer, and the dealership only charges me $20 labor for an oil change. That is under $50 total out the door for me. Service also checks all things on their service list for me at no extra charge and tops off other fluids.