GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.8T Post-APR Stage 1 Tune Questions

Supercrumpet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT
A few weeks back, I got my Alltrack tuned with an APR Stage 1 tune, replacing a JB4. Overall I've been really enjoying it, but I've noticed a couple odd things that I've been wondering about.
1. Oil temperature used to hover around 215-220, and now it's on average about 20 degrees lower. Is that normal?
2. If I suddenly let off the throttle after building full boost, the car will consistently continue to accelerate for the better part of a second after lifting off. Though I don't build full boost often, this is really annoying, especially at autox. Keeping in mind that I have a TMD and a diverter valve spacer (controversial around these parts, I understand), what could be the cause of this? I wouldn't imagine this is normal. I enjoy the silly noises from the TMD and DV spacer, but if one of those is the cause then I'm willing to try removing parts. I don't have any guesses on what it could be otherwise.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
1. If they modified the coolant setpoint table then yes. Most tuners do so yes normal.
2. Pretty common complaint on the 1.8. I know people have looked into it before but just not a lot of people modifying 1.8s that there is a lot of push to figure it out. Even if they did doubt APR cares and would fix.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Hm, when I was on APR I never had issue #2, but I know it's a common issue on 1.8's (And I have experienced it on my car with a different tune). I thought APR had fixed it, but if you're experiencing it maybe not. Still trying to figure out what's going on with it, it's crazy that it happens at all.

Supercrumpet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT
Huh, that's disappointing lol. Thanks for the replies.

Belthasar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GSW 4Mo 6MT
Yup. I can confirm issue #2 on an APR stage 1 IS12 tune. Even after wastegate replacement. Does yours have input lag, as well?

McBrian

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf 4D 5MT
I've had my APR S1 91Oct tune for about 6months or so and I've definitely noticed the lift off surge. I haven't changed my WG, but I changed my diverter valve a little bit ago but that did nothing. It really only happens after boosting for a while at WOT. I didn't really notice my oil temps drop after, no more than after an oil change which i did at the same time.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
That seem like a serious safety issue that APR would (and should) fix, it it’s something they can affect…

SuperJ

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 sportwagen 4mo
Rev Hang is super annoying and made worse by how inconsistent it is. I think there is some sort of rate limiting on how fast the throttle closes for emissions, but the rate seems to depend on a bunch of factors. When I shift I have to fully let off the throttle before I touch the clutch. Any other car would be lurching. I wish one of the tuners could fix it but none seem able or motivated. Weird anyone who fixes it would have my money.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Rev Hang is super annoying and made worse by how inconsistent it is. I think there is some sort of rate limiting on how fast the throttle closes for emissions, but the rate seems to depend on a bunch of factors. When I shift I have to fully let off the throttle before I touch the clutch. Any other car would be lurching. I wish one of the tuners could fix it but none seem able or motivated. Weird anyone who fixes it would have my money.
It's not rev hang, the throttle stays wide open when it's happening rather than just lingering like it would with rev hang, and it goes away when you put in the clutch. That's part of why it's been so hard to diagnose.

Belthasar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GSW 4Mo 6MT
It's not rev hang, the throttle stays wide open when it's happening rather than just lingering like it would with rev hang, and it goes away when you put in the clutch. That's part of why it's been so hard to diagnose.

+1. The car continues to pull for that last split second, as if you haven't taken your foot off the accelerator pedal. Very dangerous, in my opinion, let alone annoying.

McBrian

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf 4D 5MT
+1. The car continues to pull for that last split second, as if you haven't taken your foot off the accelerator pedal. Very dangerous, in my opinion, let alone annoying.
Basically now I just lift off a tiny bit sooner if I'm approaching the end of a long straight, not the best but it's better than that cruise control feeling after lift off lol

Supercrumpet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT
Yup. I can confirm issue #2 on an APR stage 1 IS12 tune. Even after wastegate replacement. Does yours have input lag, as well?

Nope, no input lag. The surge post-lift is the only thing that feels off.

Yep, exactly what I'm experiencing.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
United has solved this.