GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.8T Post-APR Stage 1 Tune Questions

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Never had that throttle hang on APR IS12 Stage 1 93 tune. I did have EPC issues, but their updated tune fixed it. Also never had that issue with their IS38 tune. Maybe check to see if they have an updated file

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Is this issue affecting both MT and AT 1.8 cars? Was considering the 87 tune for our AT Golf 1.8SE as have been really happy with APR on my GTI but I don't like the sound of this continuing to accelerate after lift off...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Is this issue affecting both MT and AT 1.8 cars? Was considering the 87 tune for our AT Golf 1.8SE as have been really happy with APR on my GTI but I don't like the sound of this continuing to accelerate after lift off...
I have only ever heard of the folks with the manual talk about it.

woodardhsd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S DSG
Same. My wife's 18 sportwagen w/dsg just cleared 72k and she's dying to get it tuned.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I’m not yet at a point where an APR tune for the is12 gets my recommendation.

Man. That was my favorite modification for a long time. 240hp & 300lbft was a blast. I know it's not much compared to GTI stage 1, but coming from 170/200, it was huge.

Drivability was great too after the update. Initially I would get EPC light (I think overboost. Not sure though), but that was fixed.

Here's a video going from 1st to 2nd & there's hardly any hang. Granted I'm going all out, so maybe partial throttle acts differently.

But if you're having issues, bring it to APR attention. That's how I got the update. Maybe they were working on it anyway, but still.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Apparently the OS turning solution group has this figured out too, at least for the 2.0T. Might be worth looking into for 1.8T guys.
We have a workaround, but it's not exactly a full solution. It's what I'm running right now. We still haven't found the root cause.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

I have only ever heard of the folks with the manual talk about it.

Same. My wife's 18 sportwagen w/dsg just cleared 72k and she's dying to get it tuned.

Well....off the back of all the major work I did last week, curiosity got the best of me and I decided to go for it and top it all off with that APR Stage 1 87 Octane tune this morning!!

Am very happy to report that this 'continuing to accelerate after lift off' does not seem to apply to the 09G auto trans. Tune is everything I expected (also having one on my GTI). Nice uplift in power and torque without being OTT or snatchy...noticeably pulls nicely stronger than stock while remaining perfectly linear and smooth. From a deadstop, the slight hesitation after pressing throttle has been removed. Normal running oil temp dropped about 15f, as seems to be standard practice for APR and other tuners.

In short, lovely 'factory OEM+' type feel....once again, really happy with APR, I'm sure my daughter will be too lol!

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
We have a workaround, but it's not exactly a full solution. It's what I'm running right now. We still haven't found the root cause.

I think we have rev hang. We have a hacky work around for the continued acceleration after you lift off the pedal.