GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.8t Golf vs 350z HR

Father Seth

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
I just upgraded my Slush Box 1.8t to APRs IS20 w/DP tune. A buddy of mine sold his MazdaSpeed3 (Who pulled on me by about a car length when I was stage 1) for an HR 350z. \

MODS (Not including Wheels/Suspension):
350z: Test pipes. pretty much stock engine.
Golf: IS20, CTS Catless DP, Injen open intake (for sound to sate my inner rice).

We did a few pulls yesterday to see how much my new mods helped. The results were kinda skewed because he brought his little brother too (Small guy about 100lbs). All runs approximately 1/4 mile except for the 25 roll (closer to 1/3 or 1/2).
After a couple pulls, I sure noticed the heat soak.

Pull 1: 40 roll, brother in his car; I brake boosted, pulled on him by about a car length and continued for a car length until we let off.
Pull 2: 40 roll, brother in his car; I brake boosted, he honked off before I could build enough boost, I was ahead by half a car until we let off.
Pull 3: 25 roll, brother in his car; Couldn't get enough traction, he pulled on me by a little over half a car by the time we let off.
Pull 4: 40 roll; brother in my car; Brake boost, I honked off. We were neck and neck but he ended up about half a car ahead.

I didn't expect to ever get this much out of an automatic 1.8 golf. We were both surprised at the results, I think without playing the seat dance with his brother him and I would be just about equal and it would come down to reaction time/practice.
So for the maybe one out of a million people who will ask, "Can a base Golf be fast?" my answer would be, it can definitely handle itself with a turbo upgrade but it'll probably take an IS38 to make it what some of you straight line guys will call fast.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it and it sure has enough power for me now... maybe. JB4 still comes to me in my dreams.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
350 must have had something done because I can beat stock 350's with just a stage 1 tune. Or heat soak was really pronounced

Father Seth

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
350 must have had something done because I can beat stock 350's with just a stage 1 tune. Or heat soak was really pronounced

Was around the low 80s fahrenheit, so not sure how much of an effect that has on heat soak empirically but it was felt.

Usually stock 350's make around 230 wheel, but their HR engines make somewhere between 260-280whp stock according to online dynos. The only mod I know that may have affected him was his piping but maybe the previous owner had more mods that he's holding out from me.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Was around the low 80s fahrenheit, so not sure how much of an effect that has on heat soak empirically but it was felt.

Usually stock 350's make around 230 wheel, but their HR engines make somewhere between 260-280whp stock according to online dynos. The only mod I know that may have affected him was his piping but maybe the previous owner had more mods that he's holding out from me.

The HRs are a different animal.