GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.8T Eco-Performance Build

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
I did not buy a mk7 golf but I have the same engine. I really love the golfmk7 forum so I hope you will accept my build thread being here. I've been a long time member on golfmk6 under the same username and recently decided to move onto the mqb platform. I was looking around for new or CPO vehicles with less than 10k miles that cost less than $25,000 with fees included. I wanted a 2.0T car but could not find one within my desired price range and mileage.

I ended up purchasing a 2016 CPO 1.8T A3 sedan in Florett Silver for $25,070 OTD with 5,000 miles on the odometer. The car also came with a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty and bumper to bumper coverage.

This 1.8T build will be focused on finding a balance between performance, comfort, and economy.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 Audi 1.8T A3
FWD

Current Mods:
APR Stage 1 Ecu Tune
Neuspeed P-Flo Intake
Neuspeed Torque Arm Insert (to be installed)
S3 Front Swaybar
Neuspeed 25mm Rear Sway Bar
Neuspeed RSE102 19x9" wheels in Hyper Black
Magnaflow Catback
3M Color Stable Tint
OEM Low Profile Rear Headrests

Planned Mods:
-Brake Upgrade
-Bilstein Shocks (once stock shocks wear out)

How the car looks as of now:

Last edited:

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
After owning the car for a week, I decided the 1.8T motor really needs some more pep in its step. I am still unsure about how Audi dealerships feel about modding and I don't want to void my warranty so after careful consideration I picked up a Neuspeed Power Module for my 1.8T. I think I might consider going with APR or Unitronic Stage 1 ECU upgrade down the line.

http://www.neuspeed.com/330/0/0/3111/641015-neuspeed-power-module.html
Advertised gains is approximately +30hp and +50 tq.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Advertised gains is approximately +30hp and +50 tq.

I doubt that. The JB1, which produces more power than the NPM, is about 30whp and 35wtq on the IS20 equipped 2.0. Maybe the 1.8T is even further underrated so maybe there's more gains from the modules on the 1.8 with the IS12, but I doubt it. I'd say you're realistically looking at ~20-25whp and ~25-30wtq.

By all means, prove me wrong. Think you'd ever go get it dyno'd? You're obviously gonna run it at +5, not +7, right?

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
For anyone that has a long commute or does lots of highway driving and enjoys safe spirited driving, I highly recommend getting a decent radar detector. Personally I am saved by my detector multiple times each month. If your commute is mainly on local streets then I do not think a radar detector will be useful.

I like my 9500ix detector since it has gps functions so I can save all the false alert signals. That way, whenever I am driving in familiar areas my detector will have all the false alerts saved and does not beep constantly from random signal alerts. Most of the time during my normal commute my radar detector is silent which is what I prefer.

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
I doubt that. The JB1, which produces more power than the NPM, is about 30whp and 35wtq on the IS20 equipped 2.0. Maybe the 1.8T is even further underrated so maybe there's more gains from the modules on the 1.8 with the IS12, but I doubt it. I'd say you're realistically looking at ~20-25whp and ~25-30wtq.

By all means, prove me wrong. Think you'd ever go get it dyno'd? You're obviously gonna run it at +5, not +7, right?

Yes, definitely running it at +5. I think those advertised gains by Neuspeed are crank hp and not wheel hp. Here's what I copied from the Neuspeed Power Module features description:

"Power / Torque Gain On +5 Setting - 91 Octane Fuel (higher gains obtainable with better octane fuel) :

1.8 TSI: 30+ HP / 55+ ft./lbs.Torque
2.0 TSI: 35+ HP / 70+ ft/lbs.Torque "

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
That's purty.

Florett Silver is nice. One of the colors I tend to gravitate towards when playing "build your Audi".

This week I'll be building a Volvo V90. Need to work on a business plan to convince wife that a wagon is better than an SUV. Still have a couple years to work on it.

And I need some Imodium for diarrhea of the mouth ¿Hand?

Soooo. I say go APR or Unitronic. You won't regret it. You can always stack a JB when you get greedy for more.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
They actually do! I saw one the other day. A new, MQB A3 hatch.

Don't think it's a new one. I think they stopped making it in 2015 with the refresh.

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
That's purty.

Florett Silver is nice. One of the colors I tend to gravitate towards when playing "build your Audi".

This week I'll be building a Volvo V90. Need to work on a business plan to convince wife that a wagon is better than an SUV. Still have a couple years to work on it.

And I need some Imodium for diarrhea of the mouth ¿Hand?

Soooo. I say go APR or Unitronic. You won't regret it. You can always stack a JB when you get greedy for more.

Have you checked out those new Tiguans? I would have never considered one but I recently saw APR has ecu tunes for it that would bring it around 300hp. That would be a nice family car haha. Kinda sq5'esque

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
Just finished about 200 miles of highway driving with a small amount of around town driving over the last couple days. I Also drove spiritedly through Highway 39 Azusa to East Fork Road and then to Glendora Mountain Road and then back home to get a good feel for my car's suspension and handling characteristics.

My first impression of my A3 with factory sport suspension is that it handles terrificially. I honestly think it is a wonderful balance between practicality and sport suspension. The car definitely feels nimble during downhill runs, however during the uphill I definitely feel like the 1.8T motor could use a bit more power, even with the neuspeed power module. I was shifting down to 2nd gear in order to have decent power going up hill. In my mk6 GTi I could pretty much ride 3rd gear the entire time and always be within the power-band.

Driving around town I don't really feel a difference between stock and with the neuspeed power module. When I am accelerating to go on the highway however, it is very noticeably stronger than stock when I have the power module installed. Highway pulls from 40-80mph are not very fast, however it is much faster than when the car was stock. The 1.8T with Neuspeed power module churns out similar horsepower as a stock mk6 GTi according to my butt dyno (;

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Don't think it's a new one. I think they stopped making it in 2015 with the refresh.

No you are wrong....:cool:

Just because you haven't seen, or your country may or may not get, does not mean that Audi do not make..

I can order in UK new MQB A3 it the following types:-

A3 hatch
A3 sport back
A3 saloon
A3 Cabriolet

Plus an "S3" version of all the four above..

Plus RS saloon, & RS sportback

Finally A3 sportback e-tron..

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
No you are wrong....:cool:

Just because you haven't seen, or your country may or may not get, does not mean that Audi do not make..

I can order in UK new MQB A3 it the following types:-

A3 hatch
A3 sport back
A3 saloon
A3 Cabriolet

Plus an "S3" version of all the four above..

Plus RS saloon, & RS sportback

Finally A3 sportback e-tron..

Am aware. Not so US centric to be oblivious to other markets, but I always look at a poster's location before responding.

And in New Jersey, in the US, we are not lucky enough to still get these, especially an RS Sportback :(

So I should rephrase with, A3 hatchback is not available in the US as of 2016

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
For anyone that has a long commute or does lots of highway driving and enjoys safe spirited driving, I highly recommend getting a decent radar detector. Personally I am saved by my detector multiple times each month. If your commute is mainly on local streets then I do not think a radar detector will be useful.

I like my 9500ix detector since it has gps functions so I can save all the false alert signals. That way, whenever I am driving in familiar areas my detector will have all the false alerts saved and does not beep constantly from random signal alerts. Most of the time during my normal commute my radar detector is silent which is what I prefer.

I understand some new detectors can filter out the radar coming from cars with features like ACC? I know laser is an instant on and hard to pick up early but can lasers be picked up if they are shooting the cars ahead and some residual beams get by and hit your detector? If so would this be rare to pick one up? I do not speed much above limit but there are times I would like to have notice. Where I live there are so many State Troopers, Sheriff and City Police in a town of 15,000.

Also, are there wireless units where the sensor (hard wired) can be mounted in the grill and signal back to the main unit which is plugged in? Are there some that work in conjunction with cell phones? I know one was sold a couple years ago but do not think it went well and is not longer for sale.