GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.8T APR vs Stock GTI Dyno Comparison

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport
Thought this was kind of neat to see. We just picked up a 2016 GTI DSG as a new shop project last week. Did some baseline pulls with it last night.

Blue line- Golf S auto with APR Stage 1 93 octane tune
Red line- GTI DSG stock 93 octane

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
What gear do you use for the dyno and how do you keep it it from kicking down at 3,000 rpms with the auto?

Mydixadryl

Ready to race!
That's neat. You can definitely see where the IS12 wants to take a dive up high.

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport
3rd gear for both cars. I went in "manual" mode on the auto, and pressed the pedal all the way, but not fully to activate the kick down switch.

What gear do you use for the dyno and how do you keep it it from kicking down at 3,000 rpms with the auto?

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
Drag Racing/acceleration question. Looking at the Golf graph, I'm thinking waiting until red line is not the ideal shift point for 1/4 mile times. It seems like 5500 is a better shift point. Any comments?

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport
Pretty much what I do on the street. Not much pull after 5500 unfortunately. Really need that IS20 :)

Drag Racing/acceleration question. Looking at the Golf graph, I'm thinking waiting until red line is not the ideal shift point for 1/4 mile times. It seems like 5500 is a better shift point. Any comments?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Crazy how the is12 torque climbs so early. Unfortunately with stock clutch, can never use this fully. Usually don't get into full throttle till after 3500 rpm (in Higher gears anyway)

Given 10% Drivetrain loss, this is pretty spot on to published numbers.

I know I've asked this before, but are those APR v1 or v2 numbers?

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport
Still on V1. Not sure if I am going to switch or not just yet....

Crazy how the is12 torque climbs so early. Unfortunately with stock clutch, can never use this fully. Usually don't get into full throttle till after 3500 rpm (in Higher gears anyway)

Given 10% Drivetrain loss, this is pretty spot on to published numbers.

I know I've asked this before, but are those APR v1 or v2 numbers?

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Would be interesting to throw a JB4 on that graph...

I was thinking the same thing Monkey. Although I think there is more than just the clutch limiting you. Getting that power moving is a challenge with how easy it is to break the tires loose. All the tq's mean little if it doesn't result in power to the pavement.

yo_marc

Ready to race!
Very interesting. Thanks for posting!

With such a falloff of hp/tq, I wonder what 1/4 miles times would be like short shifting to stay in the torque peak.

(Fundamental question, sorry. Been many years since I've been down the strip.)

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

I've had a big discussion on the topic before, but basically 1st and 2nd gear you should pull farther past redline then after that 5500 is pretty close to the ideal point.

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport
I went down the track once, but it was nothing to brag about, so I through away the time slip. But I pulled a 15.0 at 96 mph with traction control on...Interesting enough, I went up against a 2015 WRX with Cobb Stage 2, and he ran a 14.5 at 95.

With such a falloff of hp/tq, I wonder what 1/4 miles times would be like short shifting to stay in the torque peak.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

There are posted times of stage 1 and stage 2 golfs in the 1/4 mile thread. The automatic has the quicker stag 1 time and only one guy has gone down on stage 2. He is manual. I suspect that although the manual does a better job of accelerating off the line with the stock power, the auto is probably quicker once tuned. The manual did a 14.48 at 96 and the auto did 14.1 at 99. The manual even had a slightly better 60'. The stage 2 did a 13.5 at 105

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
It's hard to compare between different tracks, elevations, weather conditions and drivers...