GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.8T APR vs Stock GTI Dyno Comparison

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
Just an update. I'm the nutcase who drags the snot out of his golf. My experience with times in my MT car is rev the gear out. You can cross the end of the 1/4 in third(Third will run out to 112 with a bit more to give if you're tuned, if you are stock you'll hit a rev cutout). My highest speeds were achieved short shifting, but my best times were achieved running out. This may have to deal with tire compound. I'll find out more this year. Hoping the Stage 3 clutch makes a difference. It's the next mod on my list.

Best launch RPM is right around 2500-2600. I was running on 165/95R15s for all my times except 2 or 3 runs on 18s. The 18 runs were much slower but I think that comes down to compound. 60's would easily come down with better tires.

Shifts are something I'm yet to exactly figure out. The clutch delay valve is a killer. I plan to remove this when I do the clutch. After about 10 runs the CDV causes the clutch to slip like no other. So no lift shifts aren't really possible without the CDV being removed. I'm not speed shifting, but I am simply letting off the throttle while clutching simultaneously then bam go. Once the CDV is gone and new clutch in I can no lift shift much easier, and without slipping lol.

I have a video of my 13.489 and 13.511 runs but can't find the 13.2 run anywhere. Need to cut the overall lengths of the videos down then I'll post em! (I left the camera on for about 45 min in the staging lanes and forgot about it lol.)

The biggest difference in the 1/4 mile was actually my suspension changes. When I changed the sway bars and springs out to stiffer ones over stock it stayed much more planted and kept more weight over the drive wheels. I'm sure the coilovers will only help more. My times came down by .2-.3 sec simply with the lowering springs.

One more detail to add. The time difference is around .5 shifting into 4th rather than staying in third. You lose boost etc.

Ok, so just to confirm. You're a manual car, which your third gear ratio lets you hit 112+ in 3rd. Looking back at in car videos of my new fastest run (13.78), with my auto im shifting into 4th at around the 1/8th. The manual is obviously better for less shifting in that regard.

As for the tires, what 15" tires were you running on? Obviously not the stock all seasons.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Just fyi here's the tech specs from VW for the 2015, 2016, and lastly the 2017.

Gearing:
1.8 MQ250
1st 3.78
2nd 2.12
3rd 1.27
4th 0.86
5th 0.66
Reverse 3.60
Final 3.39

1.8 Tiptonic
1st 4.46
2nd 2.51
3rd 1.56
4th 1.14
5th 0.85
6th 0.67
Reverse 3.19
Final 3.87

VW actually changed the gearing to 3.23 for the '17 GSW. Mine matches that when you calculate a shorter tire. We are very aware of the ratios provided, it's just that nothing matches what VW provides.

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Just a FYI, same part # trans is listed for 2015-2018. I believe they all have the 3.87 FD. The 3.23 is likely a typo. Just like the rear brake rotor size typo for the 2017 GSW 4Motion (10.0" vs 10.7").

Here's the link to the 2018 press kit which shows the FD back at 3.87:

https://newspress-vwusamedia.s3.ama...2018GolfSportWagenTechnicalSpecifications.pdf

VW actually changed the gearing to 3.23 for the '17 GSW. Mine matches that when you calculate a shorter tire. We are very aware of the ratios provided, it's just that nothing matches what VW provides.