GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.5TSi cambelt change, dealer pricing, indie can't do it

simes

Hi, my wife's Golf was one of the first Mk 7.5s, registered September 2017, 1.5TSi 150hp engine, so the dealer is now chasing me to get the cambelt changed at 5 years old and they're quoting 'only' £660 to do it! So I asked the very good indie who usually services our cars and he says he cannot do it because the 1.5 has variable valve timing so he lacks the equipment. I realise not many people will have had a belt changed on a 1.5 yet, but nevertheless - has anybody been through this? Are there indies whio can do it? What is a reasonable price? Thanks!

evosevenfive

Car(s)
1.5TSI 150 Evo DSG
I have the same engine in mine - £660 is a great price.

I've been quoted £1050 - £1250 for the job on my car when it's due! Both from main dealers in the South East.

The 1.5 isn't like standard engines I believe, so the timing belt is more complex than usual.

Apparently the water pump is on the other side of the engine to the belt, so doesn't need to be changed at the same time.

simes

Thanks, evosevenfive. My quote is in the north west, not the south east, but I hadn't thought anyone would say it is a great price! My understanding about the water pump is the same as yours, it's separately driven, so no need to change it at the same time. By the way have you had the DSG oil changed yet? What was the price for that?

evosevenfive

Car(s)
1.5TSI 150 Evo DSG
With the 7 speed DSG on the 1.5 TSI there doesn't actually seem to be a DSG oil change interval.

I had thought they were generally 40k miles, but apparently there is no need to change with that gearbox. My dealer confirmed no change and I also paid for access to the VW technical manual and that said only to replace oil if there has been a repair to the gearbox.

Having paid £400 for a 50k mile gearbox oil change on a previous non VW car, it didn't actually make a difference to the life of the gearbox - most seemed to fail around 120k miles anyway even if you changed the oil. I'd have been better saving the money to put towards a repair if I was keeping it for longer.

RobertJG25

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
With the 7 speed DSG on the 1.5 TSI there doesn't actually seem to be a DSG oil change interval.

I had thought they were generally 40k miles, but apparently there is no need to change with that gearbox. My dealer confirmed no change and I also paid for access to the VW technical manual and that said only to replace oil if there has been a repair to the gearbox.

Having paid £400 for a 50k mile gearbox oil change on a previous non VW car, it didn't actually make a difference to the life of the gearbox - most seemed to fail around 120k miles anyway even if you changed the oil. I'd have been better saving the money to put towards a repair if I was keeping it for longer.

In North America the change interval is 80k (miles) for the 7 speed DSG, although just the fluid, no filter

tartangolf

Car(s)
SV 1.5 TSI 130 DSG
Hi, my wife's Golf was one of the first Mk 7.5s, registered September 2017, 1.5TSi 150hp engine, so the dealer is now chasing me to get the cambelt changed at 5 years old and they're quoting 'only' £660 to do it! So I asked the very good indie who usually services our cars and he says he cannot do it because the 1.5 has variable valve timing so he lacks the equipment. I realise not many people will have had a belt changed on a 1.5 yet, but nevertheless - has anybody been through this? Are there indies whio can do it? What is a reasonable price? Thanks!
Hi - my Golf SV with the 1.5 TSI 130hp DSG is just coming up to 5 years old so I have been checking cambelt change prices. Due to the need for special equipment my local indie can't do the job, so I checked with the 3 nearest VW dealers - all of whom said this engine does not need the water pump changed and one went so far as to suggest this includes all petrol engines - resulting in quotes of £825, £799 and £669. No prizes for guessing who is going to get the work!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
With the MK7 Golf onwards EA211 1lt, 1.2, 1.4, 1.5 EVO engines the water pump is on the other side of the engine & NOT driven by the main cambelt. Therefore no need to do preventative replacement just in case it sticks causing the timing/cambelt to shred & valves contact pistons!