GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.5 Tsi 150cv Big Turbo

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Do you trust them

I have not dealt with them.....so have no idea how good or bad they are.......but IF I was to want more power then their hybrid turbo is what I would do.

I have enough power with the Revo stage 1 performance "B" (98RON) map....any more & the OEM gearbox & clutch needs to be seriously looked in my honest opinion...

Palaz

Car(s)
Ateca 1.5 Tsi
@GTI Jake ,

I have no other solution or alternative.
Adapting a piece of steel in the mouth would gain many cms and the turbo would not fit.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
@golfdave , I don't want to mount a hybrid because the turbo that the 1.5 tsi carries is a mitsubishi td02, it is very small and its shaft is very fragile.

The link I provided above on the hybrid turbo for the 1.5lt EVO (DAD) engine..states "The turbine wheel and shaft are much larger than the stock as well."

Therefore they must replace the OEM shaft....ask them..

I understand the reason you are fitting the other turbo is for cheapness.....but I think trying to push the engine beyond what you already have will destroy the weak gearbox & clutch...

Palaz

Car(s)
Ateca 1.5 Tsi
I was evaluating it at the time before I bought the Garrett, but he backed me out because it is a very small turbo and much bigger wheels do not fit there.
Even if the axis is improved, there is not room for much in there.
And the cv that they advertise seem very optimistic to me.
I doubt that it reaches 230hp.

Palaz

Car(s)
Ateca 1.5 Tsi
@GTI Jake , you mean something like that?
It's from the little I have found trawling the net.

s-l16009.jpg

It doesn't seem like a bad idea to me, but won't it be many centimeters?

By the way, thank you very much for all your advice.
I knew that posting it here would get help from knowledgeable people with experience.

Last edited:

Ibizakj

Car(s)
Ibiza kj
The link I provided above on the hybrid turbo for the 1.5lt EVO (DAD) engine..states "The turbine wheel and shaft are much larger than the stock as well."

Therefore they must replace the OEM shaft....ask them..

I understand the reason you are fitting the other turbo is for cheapness.....but I think trying to push the engine beyond what you already have will destroy the weak gearbox & clutch...
I have the hybrid turbo on my car from rtmg with intake, downpipe and blowoff valve on stock water cooler the car is running 250bhp on dyno and has had no problems in 15k kms, but as a hp junky im looking for more power so if u get it done plz write the numbers you got thanks
Im also waiting on meth so i can get it maped on 2bar with meth maybe get some more out of the turbo

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I have the hybrid turbo on my car from rtmg with intake, downpipe and blowoff valve on stock water cooler the car is running 250bhp on dyno and has had no problems in 15k kms, but as a hp junky im looking for more power so if u get it done plz write the numbers you got thanks
Im also waiting on meth so i can get it maped on 2bar with meth maybe get some more out of the turbo

The MQ250 gearbox in either 5 gear or 6 gear format is fitted to the 1.8lt petrol engine for the USA...just like the Skoda L&K Mk3 Octavia has the 1.8lt.

It is well known that when the 1.8lt engine is tuned it wrecks MQ250 gearbox & differentials. Quote here:-

Giovanni Maggio’s 6 Speed Swap (From Mk7 Golf Tsi FB Group) | Page 2 | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

Now they are talking about higher torque & power figures as its the 1.8lt, BUT if you are going for more than stage2 on your 1.4lt the you will be into the same figures that wreck the MQ250 gearbox on the 1.8lts ..& its torque that kills the gearbox & diffs, not BHP....

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Assuming the europe MQ250 is the same as the NA MQ250, it's once you start getting over 300ftlbs (400nm) where the strength of the gearbox becomes a problem. That's also about where the stock clutch starts slipping.

Palaz

Car(s)
Ateca 1.5 Tsi
Unfortunately, the turbo in the end we broke it adapting it.
I am thinking of mounting turbo hybrid and the only option there is is rtmg.
What power did you get and how much torque?
How much turbo pressure did you need to get up to power?
Could you post the power graph?
Standard clutch?
Spark plugs and coils as standard?
Watercooler standard?

Last edited:

Palaz

Car(s)
Ateca 1.5 Tsi
Assuming the europe MQ250 is the same as the NA MQ250, it's once you start getting over 300ftlbs (400nm) where the strength of the gearbox becomes a problem. That's also about where the stock clutch starts slipping.

Yes, my electronic technician told me the same thing, that at + 395nm the clutch starts to slip.
I was planning to mount a reinforced Sach performance clutch, which is 15% stronger than standard clutch.
My gearbox says my technician can hold up to 500nm, but now I have doubts.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yes, my electronic technician told me the same thing, that at + 395nm the clutch starts to slip.
I was planning to mount a reinforced Sach performance clutch, which is 15% stronger than standard clutch.
My gearbox says my technician can hold up to 500nm, but now I have doubts.

Most people in NAR who highly tune their 1.8lt which has the MQ250 gearbox (as you have) swap it for a GTI MQ350 gearbox...

That's why I said what I did a few posts above.....you can tune the 1.4lt & 1.5lt engines to quite a high amount with bigger turbos etc, but sooner or later you will have to swap the whole gearbox for something stronger..

Palaz

Car(s)
Ateca 1.5 Tsi
Most people in NAR who highly tune their 1.8lt which has the MQ250 gearbox (as you have) swap it for a GTI MQ350 gearbox...

That's why I said what I did a few posts above.....you can tune the 1.4lt & 1.5lt engines to quite a high amount with bigger turbos etc, but sooner or later you will have to swap the whole gearbox for something stronger..
Ok.
I will keep it in mind for the future.
At the moment I plan to mount a turbo hybrid and custom electronics limiting the torque to 390 / 395nm