GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.5 Tsi 150cv Big Turbo

Palaz

Car(s)
Ateca 1.5 Tsi
Hi guys, as the title says, I am preparing a 1.5 tsi to mount a big turbo.
I am Spanish from Spain.
My English is very bad, so I will use google translator.

I like your community and I have read many preparations in this forum (1.8 and 2.0 +is20 and +is38) that have helped me to decide and I want to share my project with all of you.
My car is a Ateca 1.5 Tsi 150hp and I currently have a custom tune and downpipe decat 2.5" getting 198hp and 335nm of torque.

I didn't want a hybrid turbo, so the new turbo has to be adapted.
Because the exhaust manifold is integrated into the cylinder head and the intake to the exhaust turbine is different than any other vag engine.
What you have to do is cut the intake of the exhaust gas turbine of the new turbo and weld a steel plate in the shape of the exhaust manifold gasket to fit everything as oem.
Adapt the air intake pipes, adapt the pipe that goes from the compressor shell to the watercooler and little else.

what do you think?

Palaz

Car(s)
Ateca 1.5 Tsi
yeah, I'm not looking for an adapter, I've only given the explanation of what to do to put a new turbo different to a 1.4 / 1.5tsi

You have to select a turbo, is20 for example, and adapt the mouth of the exhaust turbine to match the engine's exhaust manifold.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
yeah, I'm not looking for an adapter, I've only given the explanation of what to do to put a new turbo different to a 1.4 / 1.5tsi

You have to select a turbo, is20 for example, and adapt the mouth of the exhaust turbine to match the engine's exhaust manifold.

He understands what you’re suggesting, but don’t cut and weld anything on the new turbo you’re installing. It would need an adapter like he linked you to

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S

you said you didn't want a hybrid. this would let you run a full frame turbo.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
you said you didn't want a hybrid. this would let you run a full frame turbo.

His head has different exhaust flange ports than ours, but yeah he’d need a adapter like that to run a full frame turbo for sure since cutting and welding the turbine inlet is a horrible idea.

Not sure why he’s turning his nose up at a hybrid anyway, I’m surprised they’re even offered, but that would definitely be the easiest route.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Palaz

Car(s)
Ateca 1.5 Tsi
let's go by parts:

@The Dude , that adapter piece, it doesn't work for my engine.
The exhaust manifold on my 1.5 Tsi is single horizontal scroll and that is double vertical scroll, I mean?
That's why I say cut.

@golfdave , I don't want to mount a hybrid because the turbo that the 1.5 tsi carries is a mitsubishi td02, it is very small and its shaft is very fragile. I also want to be ambitious in terms of performance.

Regarding the intercooler, I am going to leave the oem watercooler because I think it will be enough.
I opened the "cupra" inlets on the nose and now it gets more intake air.
I measured the intake temperature and it dropped 6ºc with that alone to a room temperature of 33ºc.
I do not plan to change, but once I mount the new turbo I will measure again and if necessary it will be changed.

the link you put from etuners, from there I got the idea of turbo upgrade.
In that same company there is another vw polo that tells how they did the installation and I saw that they cut the turbine, that's why I say so.

@GTI Jake , look, the link of how they did it: VW Polo GT 1.4TSI Gen3 – Stage3 IS20 98RON example installation – eTuners

I do not see any other way to cut if you want to put a big turbo for this engine such as an is20.

Last edited:

Palaz

Car(s)
Ateca 1.5 Tsi
I like Garrett.
So, the turbo that I have chosen to mount on my 1.5 Tsi is the Garrett 1752s from the vw Scirocco 2.0 Tsi 220cv.
I have bought it on ebay second hand, I have had it checked and I have it ready to assemble.
It only remains to cut :eek:, although I am willing to listen to suggestions.

My turbo is this:
s-l1600.jpg

And the 1752s is this:
s-l1612.jpg

Do you see the difference and why do you have to cut it?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’d strongly advise against cutting that inlet off. Cast is extremely difficult to weld and it’s very likely to crack from the extreme heat & vibration.

The proper solution is to build an adapter, ideally machined from one piece

From what I’ve seen the link you provided doesn’t give any details at all about how they mounted the is20.

Palaz

Car(s)
Ateca 1.5 Tsi
The link puts the photo in which they have cut the entrance and have welded a steel plate.
If it is with tig welding, wouldn't it work?
Whoever is going to cut and weld is the same one who made me the downpipe, he's a good welder.

My downpipe:

IMG_20200211_171342.jpg

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The link puts the photo in which they have cut the entrance and have welded a steel plate.
If it is with tig welding, wouldn't it work?
Whoever is going to cut and weld is the same one who made me the downpipe, he's a good welder.

My downpipe:

View attachment 193171

I’m an aircraft mechanic and a fabricator on the side. Metallurgic properties are why welding cast is a bad idea, not saying it can’t be done, but rather it shouldn’t.