GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.4TSI cambelt service interval

Golf1.4

Car(s)
MK7 Golf 1.4 TSI
Hello everyone.

I have a 2015 Golf 1.4 TSI and am trying to identify the service schedule of the cambelt.

My service book is useless as it does not say it.

My local dealer has said 120k miles or 5 years.

But reading a few threads it seem to suggest the belt schedule is 150k or even lifetime and does not require changing.

UK Mk7 1.4 TSI Cambelt change interval | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum
1.4 TSI 122 cambelt row | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

The maintenance manual here also says lifetime in section 2.2.7 - Dropbox – MY17 Facelift Golf R – Simplify your life

What are the general thoughts on this? Im inclined to believing the VW schedule as above.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
5yrs....the original book was rubbish..as it was based on the marketing BS from the new belt manufacturers......I got the belt/tensioners & also the aux belt done at the same time...there is no requirement to get the water pump changed as its on its own belt on the other side of the engine..if it snaps all it affects is the water pump...

Golf1.4

Car(s)
MK7 Golf 1.4 TSI
Thanks Dave for the reply.

So if it is 5 years, is this on the official VW maintenance schedule? The one I linked in my post does not say 5 years.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Golf1.4

Car(s)
MK7 Golf 1.4 TSI
Here is the link..the first post third PDF is the full VAG servicing timetables....but its the ones from 2016??....the 5yrs thing is the best option...they cannot guarantee the belts won't go...it was marketing BS..I have the original marketing BS & its a joke....how much is a new engine??...then fitting costs...

VW Golf Mk7 (all versions) Official Worldwide Maintenance Schedules | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

Thanks. So reading that document, I believe the top bullet point applies to me as I'm from the UK which is not regarded as a high dust country.

In that case it's 140,000 miles. Is that right or am I reading it wrong?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks. So reading that document, I believe the top bullet point applies to me as I'm from the UK which is not regarded as a high dust country.

In that case it's 140,000 miles. Is that right or am I reading it wrong?

Thats the older document...you didn't read the whole thread that you linked as this discussion has ben gone over before....

read the whole thread...

1.4 TSI 122 cambelt row | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

every 5yrs timing belt & tensioners....

Golf1.4

Car(s)
MK7 Golf 1.4 TSI
Thats the older document...you didn't read the whole thread that you linked as this discussion has ben gone over before....

read the whole thread...

every 5yrs timing belt & tensioners....

Hi Dave. I have read that thread and it does not mention conclusively what the schedule it, a lot of speculation.

Surely if it's 5 years, there should be official documentation saying this?

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
VW told me that 240k km is the first check than every 30k km. Btw. saw a factory fitted belt with 350k km on a taxicab build 2013 and it was without any signs of worn nor damage. Reinforcement with fiber glass really makes it very durable.
Similar info came also from Škoda that is domestically made here and usually is more friendly toward customers (they even have available cheap genuine timing chain set for EA111 tha VW doesn’t provide to own customers)

Golf1.4

Car(s)
MK7 Golf 1.4 TSI
This is exactly the confusion. Dealers are telling customers different things and the documentation is different again!

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Well I’m not confused at all. The info given to me by all dealers are in line with service guide that I have from the VW database.

Just for curiosity, I’m uploading it but it’s simple low quality picture and I doubt that anybody here could understand my mother language 😊 …so I added simple notes for belts related items (numbers are in Km)

Service in Km.jpg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi Dave. I have read that thread and it does not mention conclusively what the schedule it, a lot of speculation.

Surely if it's 5 years, there should be official documentation saying this?

VW still state every XX miles, as I attach below a screenshot of the current (March 2021) Maintenance schedule.

VWUK are telling people every 5yrs as they don't want customers car belts going snap & then the customer suing VWUK for a replacement engine...

Basically for circa £400-£500 every 5yrs for piece of mind is peanuts....

ERWIN March 2021 belts.jpg

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Germans see the U.K. as dusty country? 🙃

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Because you mentioned that there is fixed interval for change (not after testing mode) even for petrol engines.

How does the dealers explain to Britons that only they have to change the belt while others do not?

5Y term without specifying milage is way too low considering that the timing mechanisms is very well covered and the belt itself is super strong, unless being bend to much (radius less than 25mm e.g. while checking the toothed side for cracks in tooth base) or twisted for tension check. Otherwise, teflon coating or fibre glass reinforcement could be damaged so less manipulation with the belt is better.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
If the engine is not used for 2 weeks on a regular basis the belts settle & can set..then you have a drive of say 1hr which gets the belts hot from the engine bay heat..then its not used for say 1 week...that heat & then set time can still damage belts...

If the manufacture can guarantee that my belt will not snap then I'll change it when they say...but the belt manufacture do not guarantee it even with the so called new long life belts...so I'll change it when VWUK recommend which is 5yrs...