GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.4 TSI turbo

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Just been reading on Honest John about a 4 year old Golf 1.4 TSI (34 thousand miles) that needs its turbo replacing at a a cost of £1500 - perhaps caused by switching off the engine while the turbo was too hot.

Anyone else suffered this problem? Also I guess we have to 'play it by ear' when deciding if the turbo is too hot or not.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Don't see how since we have an "after run" pump that circulates coolant for a few minutes or so after you shut off the engine, to cool the turbo shaft bearings. But if it fails I don't know if it gives any MFD warning. I always try to remember to listen for it when I get out of the car.

I haven't heard of oil coking being an issue, but if I lived in a desert region I would run 100% synthetic like Mobil 1 not the Castrol Edge that's recommended. Unless they changed the formulation, the Castrol's only about 50% synthetic, and I don't know if that's enough to totally eliminate coking.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Just been reading on Honest John about a 4 year old Golf 1.4 TSI (34 thousand miles) that needs its turbo replacing at a a cost of £1500 - perhaps caused by switching off the engine while the turbo was too hot.

Anyone else suffered this problem? Also I guess we have to 'play it by ear' when deciding if the turbo is too hot or not.

This is 2018. Mass-produced FI engines have numerous safety systems designed to prevent things like this from happening.

On our cars specifically, you can hear the pump still running after you turn the car off, to keep the turbo lubricated and allow for a controlled cooling.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Don't see how since we have an "after run" pump that circulates coolant for a few minutes or so after you shut off the engine, to cool the turbo shaft bearings. But if it fails I don't know if it gives any MFD warning. I always try to remember to listen for it when I get out of the car.

I haven't heard of oil coking being an issue, but if I lived in a desert region I would run 100% synthetic like Mobil 1 not the Castrol Edge that's recommended. Unless they changed the formulation, the Castrol's only about 50% synthetic, and I don't know if that's enough to totally eliminate coking.

Castrol edge is fully synthetic, says right on the bottle.

I also wouldn't be worried when one out of a thousand plus turbos fails...Turbos fail on every single car, these things just happen sometimes

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Never heard of that..there are plenty of safe guards in place in the sensors & ECU etc....

I prefer to let the engine idle for a few minute's after a hot run anyway...

Only main problem with the 1.4TSI & various others is the turbo actuator linkage sticking....& thus causing failure of the servo motor.....just grease with VW hot bolt paste or Loctite LB8009...

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Never heard of that..there are plenty of safe guards in place in the sensors & ECU etc....

I prefer to let the engine idle for a few minute's after a hot run anyway...

Only main problem with the 1.4TSI & various others is the turbo actuator linkage sticking....& thus causing failure of the servo motor.....just grease with VW hot bolt paste or Loctite LB8009...

Thanks for reply - actually the original reader query to Honest John does mention that the garage said the turbo needed a new actuator.

I take it a warning light would come on if there was a problem with the linkage

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Castrol edge is fully synthetic, says right on the bottle.

I also wouldn't be worried when one out of a thousand plus turbos fails...Turbos fail on every single car, these things just happen sometimes

Fully synthetic does not mean100% synthetic. Seems you're not familiar with the court's decision. Probably because Canada. And unless something's changed, no oil container you buy contains 100% synthetic oil unless there no additives.

Last edited:

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Nope not a problem on any modern turbo (and most are nowadays due to emission regulations.) as they all have pumps to cool the turbo when the engine is shut off. Trouble with Honest John is you get keyboard mechanics that just go on what they have read on the internet and have never worked on a car.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks for reply - actually the original reader query to Honest John does mention that the garage said the turbo needed a new actuator.

I take it a warning light would come on if there was a problem with the linkage

No warning light if the linkage fails..just the turbo has the wastegate open most of the time so the car makes loads of woosh..owl noises..

I did a how to guide for this...

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
No warning light if the linkage fails..just the turbo has the wastegate open most of the time so the car makes loads of woosh..owl noises..

I did a how to guide for this...

Thanks - luckily my car is not making these noises but I'll now know what to listen out for and how to remedy it.

Well she's coming up for 6 years old in February - 58k on the clock and no real problems (touch wood)

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Fully synthetic does not mean100% synthetic. Seems you're not familiar with the court's decision. Probably because Canada. And unless something's changed, no oil container you buy contains 100% synthetic oil unless there no additives.

Alright, 100, 90, 80... who cares, if it's rated for the car i'm sure it's fine. And no I didn't know 100% doesn't mean fully synthetic but I don't really care, i'm not racing my car and neither is 90% of the population so i'm not worried about my turbo coking up