GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.4 TSI Turbo upgrade

blurryeyes

They must be including barometric.
We have around 6 cars running the JB4 test units and we seeing 1 bar on the 150ps model on the latter models. Our 1.4T 150ps Golf was 1.4bar.

Is there an ETA for the JB4 for these engines? I have been holding on to reflash the ECU in hopes of something from you guys to turn up. #fingerscrossed

setterlee

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Guys, I happen to chance upon this thread and registered myself to participate in the discussion. I am driving a 2016 1.4 TSI running the 150PS engine. I have added some stuff to the car including a custom stage 2 map with intake, downpipe and exhaust. We ran the tune at 1.5bar but unfortunately I did not managed to dyno the setup then. On paper, it should be outputting slightly over 200bhp and about 340Nm then.

I have since move on and is in the progress of running a stage 3 project, adding a hybrid turbo, oil catch can, oil-cooler and a water-methanol setup. The car is running 1.65 bar and the engine internals are still fully stock for now, with forged pistons and conrods in the plans. Will be glad to share what I have learnt from the project to date.

Cheers!

Hi, your car have 1.5 bar with the stock turbo for the 150ps version? Is the czda engine?

I have an mk7 facelifted with a czda engine and 150ps stock, I installed a tdi-tuning chip to get more power without lost my warranty and the turbo failed... just few days with the higher option of the chip and start to make a noice like a siren when the turbo start to get load...

My turbo was changed by warranty and now are stock again because I’m afraid to damage the turbo again...

I know some case with revo tune and the turbo failed too, 3/5 to be exact... Recently I knew one case with apr remap and the owner say that his car is great...

Your case make me feel so curious because my car show peaks of 1.22 bar in the P2 gauge and I think that 1.5 bar is a lot for a turbo with that failure record...

Maybe there is some different model of turbos on the market for the 150ps version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blurryeyes

Hi, your car have 1.5 bar with the stock turbo for the 150ps version? Is the czda engine?

I have an mk7 facelifted with a czda engine and 150ps stock, I installed a tdi-tuning chip to get more power without lost my warranty and the turbo failed... just few days with the higher option of the chip and start to make a noice like a siren when the turbo start to get load...

My turbo was changed by warranty and now are stock again because I’m afraid to damage the turbo again...

I know some case with revo tune and the turbo failed too, 3/5 to be exact... Recently I knew one case with apr remap and the owner say that his car is great...

Your case make me feel so curious because my car show peaks of 1.22 bar in the P2 gauge and I think that 1.5 bar is a lot for a turbo with that failure record...

Maybe there is some different model of turbos on the market for the 150ps version?

The CZDA engines usually come with the 04E145721F turbo and that seems to be a bit weaker than the one on the 140ps models (04E145721B). Almost no tuners in Mexico want to touch the 150ps models because of this, the turbos tend to fail almost immediately after the tune.

setterlee

Passed Driver's Ed
The CZDA engines usually come with the 04E145721F turbo and that seems to be a bit weaker than the one on the 140ps models (04E145721B). Almost no tuners in Mexico want to touch the 150ps models because of this, the turbos tend to fail almost immediately after the tune.

Mmm, good info... so, if I install a 721B can remap with any tune?

Exist any bolt on turbo that can I install on that engine?

Thanks again...

blurryeyes

Mmm, good info... so, if I install a 721B can remap with any tune?

Exist any bolt on turbo that can I install on that engine?

Thanks again...

You can definitely use the 721B turbo and tune it but I wouldn't go higher than a Stage 1 tune, I believe even these start to crap out at anything over 20psi of boost.

As far as I know only the EA211 turbos are bolt-ons, the electronic wastegate and the small flange limit the options that you have. You can always adapt something else but that will require a custom tune to match with the new turbo.

setterlee

Passed Driver's Ed
You can definitely use the 721B turbo and tune it but I wouldn't go higher than a Stage 1 tune, I believe even these start to crap out at anything over 20psi of boost.

As far as I know only the EA211 turbos are bolt-ons, the electronic wastegate and the small flange limit the options that you have. You can always adapt something else but that will require a custom tune to match with the new turbo.

There ir one thing that I love of small turbos and small engines, there are not powerful but there are really agile, a small turbo like this can load the boost faster than a IS20, I drove a GTI because I wanted renew my Golf but I missed a lot the agility at low rpm that have the 1.4 engine.

Because of that, Change the turbo for a bigger one, is not my priority and a 721B could be great for me just to be in the safety zone of reliability.

I saw the part number of the turbo that I have installed right now and I saw this...

looks like a 722G and was builded on Netherland... do you know if that turbo can handle a remap too?

blurryeyes

There ir one thing that I love of small turbos and small engines, there are not powerful but there are really agile, a small turbo like this can load the boost faster than a IS20, I drove a GTI because I wanted renew my Golf but I missed a lot the agility at low rpm that have the 1.4 engine.

Because of that, Change the turbo for a bigger one, is not my priority and a 721B could be great for me just to be in the safety zone of reliability.

I saw the part number of the turbo that I have installed right now and I saw this...

looks like a 722G and was builded on Netherland... do you know if that turbo can handle a remap too?

That one is a mitsubishi, which some tune shops prefer over the IHI ones (the ones I listed) for hybridation. Theoretically it should be somewhat stronger.

bernardtankk

I am currently running a hybrid using the stock turbo from Mitsubishi. Checked my stock turbo to be also the same for me. I ran a Revo Stage 1 map using the stock turbo and then a stage 2 custom tune on the same turbo with no problems.

Am still playing around with the stage 3 maps and have yet to settle on one. Unfortunately, given the size of the turbo (regardless) and cooling efficiency of the engine, I would think a 230-250 would be a realistic figure I would be looking at, unless I do a charged cooler delete + FMIC + bigger turbo + forged internals... else the only other way to go would be a stroker kit.

Aasim99

Car(s)
Vw golf 7 1.4 GT
Hello I have a golf mk7 1.4 TSI GT 2013 140bhp with a manual gearbox was wondering would my engine be able to handle a hybrid turbo and would my gearbox be able to handle it and woulf there be any work around a if not

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hello I have a golf mk7 1.4 TSI GT 2013 140bhp with a manual gearbox was wondering would my engine be able to handle a hybrid turbo and would my gearbox be able to handle it and woulf there be any work around a if not

Even if you are kind to the stock clutch it now appears that the diff in the MQ250 gearbox goes due to the torque..when reaching stage2 plus...

Some people are running hybrid rebuild turbos..some are using the bigger GTI turbo & make up a special flange..both will require the intercooler to be moved from built into the intake manifold to the front bumper location (like GTI)...& then replace the gearbox with the MQ350 from a GTI....

No point too...much money...might as well get a GTI.......

Just do the GTE slam panel mod, use either ITG/K&N/Greencotton panel filter...... .heat shield the turbo to TB pipe, & run it solely on 98/99RON fuel & get a 98RON stage 1 map...& use top quality full synthetic oils & service the engine regularly.

Aasim99

Car(s)
Vw golf 7 1.4 GT
Even if you are kind to the stock clutch it now appears that the diff in the MQ250 gearbox goes due to the torque..when reaching stage2 plus...

Some people are running hybrid rebuild turbos..some are using the bigger GTI turbo & make up a special flange..both will require the intercooler to be moved from built into the intake manifold to the front bumper location (like GTI)...& then replace the gearbox with the MQ350 from a GTI....

No point too...much money...might as well get a GTI.......

Just do the GTE slam panel mod, use either ITG/K&N/Greencotton panel filter...... .heat shield the turbo to TB pipe, & run it solely on 98/99RON fuel & get a 98RON stage 1 map...& use top quality full synthetic oils & service the engine regularly.
Yeah I thought it would be only clutch related but thanks for letting me know about this do you know if you it’s possible to fit a GTI exhaust or golf R exhaust to this chassis would like a better sound from and look with it too

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yeah I thought it would be only clutch related but thanks for letting me know about this do you know if you it’s possible to fit a GTI exhaust or golf R exhaust to this chassis would like a better sound from and look with it too

Just also need the rear valance I think....I used a set of Skoda Yeti chrome trims for the stock exhaust..now looks like the old Mk6 GT spec.....as for noise..can't be bothered..I prefer "go" not "show"...