GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.4 TSI Turbo upgrade

tobybyrne1

Hi all, new to this so not sure if this is the right place for this post, Ive got a 2014 1.4 TSI 122ps golf hatchback, I had a stage one remap put on it by superchips which supposedly should give it another 41bhp and 66nm, I still feel like its lacking in power, Im thinking about putting the turbo from a 150bhp 1.4 tsi engine, does anyone have any info on this turbo swap, also any more mod suggestions for increased power?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Shell vpower fuel or Tesco momentum fuels...nothing else...

The 140/150tsi has a forged crankshaft & both cam shafts are variable...…

Mine produces 167bhp & 267nm without any remap...I have done the GTE intake mod & use an ITG replacement panel air filter, & heat shielded the air intake & turbo pipework..& run 0w40 Castrol Edge oil...to the VW fixed service spec...

tobybyrne1

Thanks for the reply, do you think my stock engine wouldn’t be able to cope with the extra power from the bigger turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks for the reply, do you think my stock engine wouldn’t be able to cope with the extra power from the bigger turbo

Its not the engine its the gearbox thats the weak point as safety rated for 250Nm plus whatever extra margin VW don't state...but again people put 200bhp & 300nm through my engine with stage 2 remaps...

if you have not done my list above then the engine will feel sluggish...do this first...

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Hi all, new to this so not sure if this is the right place for this post, Ive got a 2014 1.4 TSI 122ps golf hatchback, I had a stage one remap put on it by superchips which supposedly should give it another 41bhp and 66nm, I still feel like its lacking in power, Im thinking about putting the turbo from a 150bhp 1.4 tsi engine, does anyone have any info on this turbo swap, also any more mod suggestions for increased power?

I looked into this briefly and did not find a variance in the two cars turbos. Do you have a part number for the turbo on your car and I can reference it on the 150hp version we had if I can find the invoice when we replaced the turbo.

tobybyrne1

Its not the engine its the gearbox thats the weak point as safety rated for 250Nm plus whatever extra margin VW don't state...but again people put 200bhp & 300nm through my engine with stage 2 remaps...

if you have not done my list above then the engine will feel sluggish...do this first...

Okay thanks will definitely have a look into the list

tobybyrne1

I looked into this briefly and did not find a variance in the two cars turbos. Do you have a part number for the turbo on your car and I can reference it on the 150hp version we had if I can find the invoice when we replaced the turbo.

I haven’t actually looked at the part number of my turbo yet, but I do know the part number of the turbo I was thinking about replacing it with, its 04E145715F, is this the same as the one you had? Thanks

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

According to the VW self study book on the EA211 engines the 122/125ps has a 37mm turbine wheel & 40mm compressor wheel..

the 140/150ps has a 39.2mm & 41mm wheels respectively...& runs at 2.2 bar instead of 1.8bar..

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
According to the VW self study book on the EA211 engines the 122/125ps has a 37mm turbine wheel & 40mm compressor wheel..

the 140/150ps has a 39.2mm & 41mm wheels respectively...& runs at 2.2 bar instead of 1.8bar..

They must be including barometric.
We have around 6 cars running the JB4 test units and we seeing 1 bar on the 150ps model on the latter models. Our 1.4T 150ps Golf was 1.4bar.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
They must be including barometric.
We have around 6 cars running the JB4 test units and we seeing 1 bar on the 150ps model on the latter models. Our 1.4T 150ps Golf was 1.4bar.

Don't know I just quoted direct from the VW self study guide...

the 122/125PS turbo unit is
04E 145 704R
713N
704S
713P

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf+variant+4motion/golf/2015-746/1/145-145044/#1

for the 140/150 PS it is
704P
721B

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf+variant+4motion/golf/2015-746/1/145-145046/

bernardtankk

Hi Guys, I happen to chance upon this thread and registered myself to participate in the discussion. I am driving a 2016 1.4 TSI running the 150PS engine. I have added some stuff to the car including a custom stage 2 map with intake, downpipe and exhaust. We ran the tune at 1.5bar but unfortunately I did not managed to dyno the setup then. On paper, it should be outputting slightly over 200bhp and about 340Nm then.

I have since move on and is in the progress of running a stage 3 project, adding a hybrid turbo, oil catch can, oil-cooler and a water-methanol setup. The car is running 1.65 bar and the engine internals are still fully stock for now, with forged pistons and conrods in the plans. Will be glad to share what I have learnt from the project to date.

Cheers!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I am driving a 2016 1.4 TSI running the 150PS engine. I have added some stuff to the car including a custom stage 2 map with intake, downpipe and exhaust. We ran the tune at 1.5bar but unfortunately I did not managed to dyno the setup then. On paper, it should be outputting slightly over 200bhp and about 340Nm then.

I have since move on and is in the progress of running a stage 3 project, adding a hybrid turbo, oil catch can, oil-cooler and a water-methanol setup. The car is running 1.65 bar and the engine internals are still fully stock for now, with forged pistons and conrods in the plans.
!

manual or DSG gearbox?...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
DSG with a TCU tune.

The DSG in standard form is "apparently" stronger than the manual (which I have)....

I was looking at stage 1, 4yrs ago when I got the car..in fact I was getting info from MTM & ABT before I even bought the car..

I'm happy with the 167ps + & 267nm+ that mine produces without a remap..;).

.no TD1 or warranty issues etc...:D

blurryeyes

Hi Guys, I happen to chance upon this thread and registered myself to participate in the discussion. I am driving a 2016 1.4 TSI running the 150PS engine. I have added some stuff to the car including a custom stage 2 map with intake, downpipe and exhaust. We ran the tune at 1.5bar but unfortunately I did not managed to dyno the setup then. On paper, it should be outputting slightly over 200bhp and about 340Nm then.

I have since move on and is in the progress of running a stage 3 project, adding a hybrid turbo, oil catch can, oil-cooler and a water-methanol setup. The car is running 1.65 bar and the engine internals are still fully stock for now, with forged pistons and conrods in the plans. Will be glad to share what I have learnt from the project to date.

Cheers!

I'm kinda interested in the hybrid turbo setup and to see how well it does. I have some concerns on longevity for hybrid turbos but I'm also willing to take the risk since I have a couple of spare turbos to play with.

Greetings from Mexico everyone btw