GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.4 TSI engine oil

jamo1978

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

Does anyone know what make of engine oil is used in the new golf? Halfords say the type is 5W30 fully synthetic and it looks like from I can find it might be Mobil 1.

Thanks

Paul

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Hi,

Does anyone know what make of engine oil is used in the new golf? Halfords say the type is 5W30 fully synthetic and it looks like from I can find it might be Mobil 1.

Thanks

Paul

Petrol engines use VW 502 00 specification, so as long as it's that you will be ok, or if you are on a long life scheme it is VW 504 00, those are what you are to check on the bottle.
Not going to get into the debate of whether Asda, Tesco , Shell Comma etc brands as long as they meet the spec ;)

jamo1978

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks very much. Checked the car at the weekend and it was not that far above the minimum marker. I have done just over a 1000 miles, so i`m not sure if it was low when I picked it up or it has just used a lot "breaking in".

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
It's not so simple as just a brand name, as each brand offers different viscosity and grades of oils , have a look here

It is castrol indeed Avanti. After castrol bought aral the sticker in the bonnet changed to castrol too. Of course that's just a marketing thing. Any engine should use the specific oil for them. I use Motul and I'm very happy with them. Will be doing this to my Golf (when it arrives). 5W-30 x-clean+ or specifics of the same brand for EA888s.

MisterB

Ready to race!
Thanks very much. Checked the car at the weekend and it was not that far above the minimum marker. I have done just over a 1000 miles, so i`m not sure if it was low when I picked it up or it has just used a lot "breaking in".
Hello jamo, it is normal for the petrol engines to consume more engine oils during the so called 'breaking in' period. (Not sure about diesels as we don't have them here, shame...)

Depending on the driving pattern, traffic, etc., the engine oil requires topping up anywhere between the 5000km-10000km mark (3100mi-6200mi). My car was at 5151km (3200mi) when the engine oil warning lamp came up.

I believe it is a good practice to check on the dipstick periodically.

Cheers!

niel24

Is this the correct oil for topping up?

Judesman

Ready to race!
Niel, your post has come up with a placeholder.

I was going to ask the same original question for my MK VII SE 1.4 Petrol on a fixed service regime but the car has only done 250 miles and need to buy top up oil in case of need. (Dipstick half-way between min and max at present).

The manual is not clear and I am not sure whether I should be using VW 502 or VW504 (For VW502 the garage has Castrol Magnatec OE 5W 40)

SB_NZ

Passed Driver's Ed
I am confused as well.

Does it matter if I use a 0-30 or a 5-40 to top up as long as its vw 502 00 given I am on a 15k regime. The manual nor anything on the car indicates what grade was used by vw orginally ie is it safe to mix grades.

Dagobah

Ready to race!
I had a "VW recommended oil" card in with my instruction manual for Castrol Edge 5W-30 so thats what I am using, even though the level has barely moved after 8000 miles. £12 for a litre at Tesco or £19.99 from Halfords (rip-off).

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk