GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.4 TSI 122 cambelt row

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a heated discussion regarding my cambelt change with my dealer.

They said it didn't need replacing after 5 years although VW UK said it did. My dealer then said that there was NO recommended service interval on the VW maintenance computer.

I then checked with two other franchises and got VW UK to send me a letter which stated that they recommend a change after 5 years or 60k which ever is the sooner. My own dealer then agreed to change it.

However I was then told that my 1.4 engine was different and that the waterpump did not run off the cambelt and that they would have to order additional parts for the replacement.

I contacted VW UK again but they did not know why two versions of the same engine were produced (I may write to the VW head office in Wolfsburg from more information).

Is my engine type something anyone else has heard of on here as I was told the technician at my dealer said - 'Oh no not one of those engines' indicating that it is not very common.

Another possible problem with my dealer is that they charged me £530 for the change (which was in line with their original quote for cambelt and waterpump change) However they didn't change the waterpump (something I didn't realise until I went through the invoice at home).

This could mean that for my type of engine the cost of cambelt replacement only is as much as it would cost for a standard engine's cambelt and waterpump change.

I have to get a copy of the invoice quote I signed prior to the actual service to see if £530 included the waterpump too (although this is before they knew it was non standard)

If it did included the waterpump is it a legally binding contract?

Thanks

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
What is the build year, the KW rating & the engine code..

I have the official VW workshop manuals...

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi thanks I have this information to hans immediately but not sure if it includes the KW rating code. It was built late 2012

Engine No CMBA007997

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi thanks I have this information to hans immediately but not sure if it includes the KW rating code. It was built late 2012

Reg
Chassis number
Engine No CMBA007997

Delete your reg & full chassis VIN for security please & not required...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just looked at the manuals...

Dealer is stupid...ALL 1.4lt, like most petrol MK7 golf engines have the coolant water pump driven of its own toothed belt from the exhaust camshaft...at he other end of the engine...nearest the battery.

It reduces the loads & strain on the main timing toothed belt which is still at the other end (left side as you look at engine...that's the point of these new EA211 engines for the MK7 Golf...

Yours is VERY similar to my engine when you look at from the outside...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Right I can only find 120,000km service interval for the main timing belt but that's for very dusty countries....

the water pump belt nothing for...

Aux belt (poly V belt) every 90,000km

Basically the main timing belt is now only between the camshafts & the crank shaft & has just one tensioner pulley & one idler pulley...nice & simple

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you - Ok so this means that my car is normal then despite - to quote the dealer again - 'oh no not one of those engines'

If it's more simple why was I charged £530?.

I'm now worrying how much it will cost to change the waterpump and coolant

Jon2

Ready to race!
I have the same engine fitted in my car and when I last logged into the MyVW website there was a section 'advising' me that the belt will need changing in September next year when the car will be 5-years-old. I've just read this thread and took another look at MyVW and there's nothing. Absolutely no mention whatsoever. Just says 'You have no upcoming actions'

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi very interesting. I've actually written to the Honest John website who are looking into this engine type and have expressed surprise that the waterpump no longer works off the main cambelt.

This is all a bit strange with my franchise initially contacting me and agreeing it was due for a change - and then telling me that there was no change required.

I think there is a lack of clarity from VW in Germany which urgently needs to be addressed. I'm waiting for an answer form Honest John as they are going to have a look at my engine - but I will write to the VW had office in Wolfsburg.

All VW UK could confirm are that there are two versions of the 1.4 but couldn't tell me why.

If it is simpler to change then I may have been overcharged by my dealer (£530).

I hope this isn't another coverup.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi very interesting. I've actually written to the Honest John website who are looking into this engine type and have expressed surprise that the waterpump no longer works off the main cambelt.

This is all a bit strange with my franchise initially contacting me and agreeing it was due for a change - and then telling me that there was no change required.

I think there is a lack of clarity from VW in Germany which urgently needs to be addressed. I'm waiting for an answer form Honest John as they are going to have a look at my engine - but I will write to the VW had office in Wolfsburg.

All VW UK could confirm are that there are two versions of the 1.4 but couldn't tell me why.

If it is simpler to change then I may have been overcharged by my dealer (£530).

I hope this isn't another coverup.

Honest John not knowing??...Christ I knew before I bought the car from web info...VW did advertise the whole new EA211 engines & the special design features...

As for VW HQ they are a bit dim....

There are two versions of 1.4....well actually 5 versions....:eek:

122PS
125PS
140PS
150PS
150PS with Active cylinder shut off (ACT)

They are all the same base unit, the 122/125 & 140/150 were just the early late model versions & only difference is ECU coding to free the engine abit

The main difference between the low & high power outputs is bigger turbo, forged crankshaft & both camshafts have variable timing.

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
So I have a 2012 1.4 122 version. When it was originally released how many had the water pump driven by the cambelt and how many did not - or was it that the MK7 only had my type of configuration and that it was the MK6 that had the water pump driven by the waterpump

Remember that - in terms of age - the MK7 is only just coming into cambelt change time and there appears to be confusion at VW UK - my franchise and on the VW UK maintenance schedule computer.

If you look at Jon's post his MyVW initially advised that it should be changed - now it isn't
Seems to be that even VW Germany are confused too.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
So I have a 2012 1.4 122 version. When it was originally released how many had the water pump driven by the cambelt and how many did not - or was it that the MK7 only had my type of configuration and that it was the MK6 that had the water pump driven by the waterpump

Remember that - in terms of age - the MK7 is only just coming into cambelt change time and there appears to be confusion at VW UK - my franchise and on the VW UK maintenance schedule computer.

If you look at Jon's post his MyVW initially advised that it should be changed - now it isn't
Seems to be that even VW Germany are confused too.

As I stated above ALL the engines in MK7 Golf are new designs...primarily because of MQB platform requiring ALL engines to tilt towards the bulkhead by 12deg...

So whilst they did this they improved other aspects & ALL 1.4lt have water pumps driven of own belt on battery side of engine from exhaust camshaft...I am 99% certain all other MK7 Golfs are the same just not had time to 100% double check...

I found the info easy on web 3yrs ago before I bought my car ....ok now I have the full VW official workshop manuals..& self study info guides also...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Here is the section on the 122/140PS engines out of the EA211 VW self study guide when the MK7 Golf was launched. These guides are written for the mechanics to understand the new developments..

NOTE; "coolant pump driven by toothed belt from exhaust camshaft"...

Attachments

• 1.4lt-SS-guide-reduced.jpg
    1.4lt-SS-guide-reduced.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 5,417