GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1/4 Mile Time - DSG vs. Manual

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
In gear, yes the manual can be faster, less weight and shorter gearing for the 6 speeds as far as I know.

That wasn't the topic, 1/4 mile is the topic. Also depends on what gear and what rpm when you are "in gear".

Too many variable when "in gear".

That's why it's done from a stop (1/4 mile and 0-60)

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Personally, I think the DSG is just as fun as an MT. And from what I've read the MT's in the last 5 years from VAG, just aren't as good as they could be. Because it's a dying piece of machinery. It's inevitable that by the next generation of Golf's it might not even be offered.

TroyI

Ready to race!
Here is my BIG issue when people throw out 1/4 mile ET times about their cars and NEVER took it to an actual drag strip. You ARE NOT allowed to say times your car runs the quarter in unless you have the little piece of paper from the drag strip. My Stage 2 GTI runs 13.2 at 109mph... FACT!!! I'm hoping for 12's this season.

Sorry for the rant..... Go to a drag strip and see. It's fun.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Here is my BIG issue when people throw out 1/4 mile ET times about their cars and NEVER took it to an actual drag strip. You ARE NOT allowed to say times your car runs the quarter in unless you have the little piece of paper from the drag strip. My Stage 2 GTI runs 13.2 at 109mph... FACT!!! I'm hoping for 12's this season.

Sorry for the rant..... Go to a drag strip and see. It's fun.

Who in this thread claimed their car runs a certain time and never went to the strip??

Very confused who you're ranting to.

Also, Vbox and Dragy are just as accurate. I've had false trap speeds at the track, it's not 100% either.

TroyI

Ready to race!
Who in this thread claimed their car runs a certain time and never went to the strip??

Very confused who you're ranting to.

Also, Vbox and Dragy are just as accurate. I've had false trap speeds at the track, it's not 100% either.

I'm not ranting to anyone on this thread, it just popped in my head. I'm a high school teacher and I have students that say how fast their car is all the time. Drives me nuts. One student in particular claims he'd kick my ass in a race. He drives a G35. I keep telling him to take it to the strip.

Sorry if I sounded like I was aiming my rant at anyone. :D:)

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'm not ranting to anyone on this thread, it just popped in my head. I'm a high school teacher and I have students that say how fast their car is all the time. Drives me nuts. One student in particular claims he'd kick my ass in a race. He drives a G35. I keep telling him to take it to the strip.

Sorry if I sounded like I was aiming my rant at anyone. :D:)

Your peave is the equivalent of those cyclists that claim how much their bike weighs....pic of it on a proper scale with details of what was on it etc. or don't talk to me...ahhahahaa

I agree with you, hard to say unless you are a strip for a proper time on a flat run etc. I can get a 5.1 in my wagon on Torque but it was downhill..ahhahaha

echelonphoto

Ready to race!
Drove manual 6 speed corvettes (9 different ones) over a period of 11 years. Last vette was an auto with paddles and I never looked back...always felt faster than the manual and let me concentrate on other aspects of driving. Finally sold it and got 15 gti dsg pp and the car is fun to drive every day...it just shoots forward at will with no effort.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
Drove manual 6 speed corvettes (9 different ones) over a period of 11 years. Last vette was an auto with paddles and I never looked back...always felt faster than the manual and let me concentrate on other aspects of driving. Finally sold it and got 15 gti dsg pp and the car is fun to drive every day...it just shoots forward at will with no effort.

Drove manual all my life except for the 6yrs when i had two DSG VW's mk5 gti and a CC and got so bored i couldn't wait to get back in a manual. I don't get why you'd want a car to do something as important as making sure you're in the right gear for you.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Drove manual all my life except for the 6yrs when i had two DSG VW's mk5 gti and a CC and got so bored i couldn't wait to get back in a manual. I don't get why you'd want a car to do something as important as making sure you're in the right gear for you.

Not sure what you mean by "why you'd want a car to do something as important as making sure you're in the right gear for you"

Last time I checked using DSG allows you to be in the gear you select, just as you do in your MT. There is no difference other than not having the 3rd pedal and it's a quicker gear change. DSG has the extra advantage of also being an automatic if one chooses to use it that way in certain situations. WIN/WIN

:confused:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Not sure what you mean by "why you'd want a car to do something as important as making sure you're in the right gear for you"

Last time I checked using DSG allows you to be in the gear you select, just as you do in your MT. There is no difference other than not having the 3rd pedal and it's a quicker gear change. DSG has the extra advantage of also being an automatic if one chooses to use it that way in certain situations. WIN/WIN

:confused:

Based off some of GTI-Jay's recent posts, I'm think he might be a troll.

Last edited:

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
THIS will be the thread that ends the 15 year old DSG vs Manual debate.

All started on an MK7 Forum Board from a guy that doesn’t have an MK7 and hates to post here.

I thought I’d never see the day.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
lol this thread.

This is about all I have to say to that

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
And another DSG v Manual thread. Thanks GLI-driving person.

There’s no denying DSG is faster. Everyone knows that. The same way instant coffee is faster to make.

For some, the joy of drinking coffee is also the process of making it. Then you realise how much more fulfilling that cup of coffee is compared to that other crap.

</thread>

Last edited: